13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Victor's Bootcamp, Fell Deeds Awake! Now for Wrath!! Now for Ruin!!
Victor Simion
Dec 3 2020, 06:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Lesson 36 - Shredding The Ionian Mode

Exercise 36a, 36b, 36c, played at 80 BPM (medium speed for me)

Exercise 36a, 36b, played at 120 BPM (fast speed for me)
No exercise c since at this speed it's impossible for me to play that exercise

What do you think of my fast playing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 02:36 AM
GMC:er
Nailed it!! you are making great progress Soldier. I think you are finally putting it all together! You are in the deep weeds now Soldier. This is where many fine Soldiers just quit. Not you!! Fight on!!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*AGRESSIVE STYLE: Points for shear aggression on this one Soldier! You attacked it with verve and precision. Also I could see a bit more "going for it" in terms of precision/speed combo. Nice.

*PICKING: Not only did you tear through the Mission, you articulated the pick quite well with thumb and first finger. Score!

*TECHNIQUE:
Solid palm mute, precise picking, not rushing or lagging, BAM!

You hit all the marks that I"m looking for in this Mission. You are ready for what lies ahead Soldier.

Onward! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 3 2020, 01:22 PM) *
Lesson 36 - Shredding The Ionian Mode

Exercise 36a, 36b, 36c, played at 80 BPM (medium speed for me)

Exercise 36a, 36b, played at 120 BPM (fast speed for me)
No exercise c since at this speed it's impossible for me to play that exercise

What do you think of my fast playing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 4 2020, 10:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 4 2020, 01:36 AM) *
Nailed it!! you are making great progress Soldier. I think you are finally putting it all together! You are in the deep weeds now Soldier. This is where many fine Soldiers just quit. Not you!! Fight on!!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*AGRESSIVE STYLE: Points for shear aggression on this one Soldier! You attacked it with verve and precision. Also I could see a bit more "going for it" in terms of precision/speed combo. Nice.

*PICKING: Not only did you tear through the Mission, you articulated the pick quite well with thumb and first finger. Score!

*TECHNIQUE:
Solid palm mute, precise picking, not rushing or lagging, BAM!

You hit all the marks that I"m looking for in this Mission. You are ready for what lies ahead Soldier.

Onward! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

Thank you, so you think my hands at 120BPM are in sync and the playing is good?

If so I will try to push it a little more if I can play it good in the following lessons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 06:50 PM
It's sounding great Soldier!! Your hands are adapting!! It's really coming together. Can you feel the change in speed/precision?

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 4 2020, 05:54 AM) *
Thank you, so you think my hands at 120BPM are in sync and the playing is good?

If so I will try to push it a little more if I can play it good in the following lessons.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 11:39 PM
Watch this vid. IT's a great demo on how to palm mute while articulating the strings. Now, this guy is using his fingers and his pick and a great deal of hammer on/pull off/legato, but focus on his palm mute. Look how he is keeping his mute while he picks. He doesn't lift, doesn't move the entire hand off the bridge. Also, he mutes firmly but doesn't choke the strings.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 14 2020, 07:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Lesson 37

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2020, 08:05 AM
Progress!! I notice you are using a good pick angle and keeping your thumb bent and not over committing to any one single pick strike. You are fixing all of the issues that we have found along the way soldier. That's what a big part of bootcamp is about. finding what is going wrong and fixing it step by step. It's only after this that one can start making truly impressive progress. There are often little things, habits that we have picked up along the way that are actually getting in the way of becoming a better player. It's about isolating those elements and then correcting them. Then combining all of what has been learned. You are combining all of it and it's great to see. There are many Missions that are more about testing existing skills to make sure they can be built on later, than about playing fast. Then there are some Missions that are just speed tests more than anything where what you have learned can be used to shred. It's all heading you to one place. Being a better Musician. It's a long journey and you are fighting your way through it with vigor. keep it up!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 14 2020, 02:02 PM) *
Lesson 37

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 15 2020, 07:22 PM
Learning Roadie
LESSON #38 - ECONOMIC PICKING COMBINED WITH ALTERNATE PICKING

Take a look at how I choose the picking direction.

I will do economy picking every time I get the chance, doesn't matter if it going up or down the exercise.

In lick 2 (Back and Forth) there is no way to do an economy picking.

Attached File(s)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2020, 09:36 PM
Good eye Soldier!! I just checked this lesson and my latest versions of the lesson are not up. I"ll share them here and I"ll ask fran to update them. There are only two parts to this Mission. Here they are with PICK NOTATION. The pick notation is very important. It's crucial for this Mission that you use ECON PICKING when changing strings. That's the entire point of the mission. When ascending strings (from lower to higher strings), use a down stroke and when descending strings (from higher to lower strings) use an upstroke. That's what this mission is all about. Trying to train the hand when it's best to use econ. In general, it's more efficient to use down strokes when heading towards the higher strings, and upstrokes when heading to the lower strings.

To Wit!!
Attached File  38a.gp5.zip ( 982bytes ) Number of downloads: 423

Attached Image

Attached File  38b.gp5.zip ( 1004bytes ) Number of downloads: 409

Attached Image

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 15 2020, 02:22 PM) *

Take a look at how I choose the picking direction.

I will do economy picking every time I get the chance, doesn't matter if it going up or down the exercise.

In lick 2 (Back and Forth) there is no way to do an economy picking.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 21 2020, 07:15 PM
Learning Roadie

I can hear a little bit of bleeding notes on the first lick, it happens sometimes on the first lick, I think it's happening where I am doing the economy picking.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Dec 21 2020, 07:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2020, 06:01 AM
WELL FOUGHT!!!! Soldier I know that ECON picking does not come natural for every player. I've seen some player struggle with it for extended periods of time. It's great to see you adapting to it. It's one of my almost secret tricks to shredding. The entire point of econ picking is to take advantage of the natural motion of the hand. E.G. If you are moving from a lower string to a higher string, as the hand moves/tilts toward the new string, it's just more "economical" in terms of motion and energy to do a pick strike in that direction as well. So if moving from lower to higher strings, a down stroke makes sense. If moving from higher to lower strings, an upstroke makes sense. Not to say this is the only way to play. Paul Gilbert doesn't do it at all, some players rarely if ever make use of it. Still I found it to be a great benefit in terms of precision and speed. So much so that I almost always use this technique when traversing strings, especially on licks that make use of more than two strings. In addition to your picking, your muting is very good hear and your hand synch is spot on as well. It does sound like you are using the neck pickup here? If you are, try to switch to the bridge pickup for all Bootcamp Missions as it lets me hear pick strikes better. If you are already using the bridge pickup, maybe a bit more treble on the tone. I'm having trouble hearing the pick hitting the string. It's a small thing, but it does help me out. As for this Mission, it's Sorted!!

You just....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 21 2020, 02:15 PM) *

I can hear a little bit of bleeding notes on the first lick, it happens sometimes on the first lick, I think it's happening where I am doing the economy picking.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 31 2020, 05:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Lesson 39 is ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 1 2021, 11:16 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!!! This one is all about doing my favorite "Scale Inversion". This inversion, or way of playing a scale, works on any scale of any kind. But my fave way to play it is using the minor scale. It requires some serious finger dexterity to play it and it's always a good challenge to work through it up and down. You do a very good job of playing through it both up and down which is great to see. You don't miss any notes, don't rush or lag, and you have good hand synch and a good palm mute the entire time. Also, you are playing it at quite a brisk pace! If you can play this drill, this well, you are well prepared for the crazy bits that lay in wait on the path ahead Soldier!!! You got this.

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 31 2020, 12:02 PM) *
Hi,

Lesson 39 is ready!

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 2 2021, 06:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Lesson 40,

Is this lesson strict alternate picking for 40a, and 40b?

Which fingers should be used in the 40b, last measure?
Until then it should be pretty forward, but last measure could be done using all fingers or you can do a shift with your hand fretting hand?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  40a.gp ( 9.18K ) Number of downloads: 379
Attached File  40b.gp ( 9.15K ) Number of downloads: 356

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 3 2021, 04:11 AM
For the first drill, strike once per string. It's a "loopable" bit so start over once you have played the last note. For part B, strict alternate picking of each note. You can finger B any way that you find comfy. What's important is that you Alt pick the enire thing.

Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 2 2021, 01:40 PM) *
Lesson 40,

Is this lesson strict alternate picking for 40a, and 40b?

Which fingers should be used in the 40b, last measure?
Until then it should be pretty forward, but last measure could be done using all fingers or you can do a shift with your hand fretting hand?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 3 2021, 05:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 3 2021, 03:11 AM) *
For the first drill, strike once per string. It's a "loopable" bit so start over once you have played the last note. For part B, strict alternate picking of each note. You can finger B any way that you find comfy. What's important is that you Alt pick the enire thing.

Onward!

Sarge

So you mean the first drill I it's enough just to play on the thickest three strings, it's not necessary to go all the way up like I wrote in the tab?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 04:14 AM
Take a look at the first piece of tab. It's just using the top 3 strings. It's a looping pattern that just goes over the same 3 strings over and over again smile.gif It's always best to try to play it as written.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 3 2021, 12:53 PM) *
So you mean the first drill I it's enough just to play on the thickest three strings, it's not necessary to go all the way up like I wrote in the tab?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 11 2021, 05:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Here is lesson 40.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 12 2021, 07:23 AM
Well fought Soldier!! These two licks are VERY different to each other. The first one doesn't have much picking. It's really all about left hand power. if one doesn't have any left hand power, this type of lick just doesn't work. You only get one pick strike for each string so the rest has to be hammered on. As a result it's a good benchmark to show where a players hand power is at. I do this so that I can get an idea of left hand power before I ask you to play something like the second lick. The second lick is all about left hand endurance. if one doesn't have enough left hand endurance, about half way through the lick, the notes start to get softer and softer. The good news is that you have very good hand power and you have good endurance so you sort both licks no problem!! Well done.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 11 2021, 12:45 PM) *
Hi,

Here is lesson 40.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 13 2021, 08:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...%9D_-_Lesson_41

Part A of lesson 41 should be alternate picking or hammer ons?

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:00 AM