3 Note Per String Technique
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 20 2007, 09:08 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I'm practicing 3-note per string scales ... I was wondering if there is a recommended way to finger the 5 fret stretches - I'm thinking of the middle fret, could either be middle or 3rd finger (obviously the outside notes are index and pinky) - anyone have any views?

Thanks,

Andrew

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Pavel
Apr 20 2007, 09:13 PM
Instructor
I tend to do it with the 2nd finger. That way you practice not only picking but also stretches and those are very important!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 20 2007, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 20 2007, 04:13 PM) *
I tend to do it with the 2nd finger. That way you practice not only picking but also stretches and those are very important!

Aha, yes that makes a lot of sense - I am still in "positional" territory where I pick a position and use one finger per fret, and move if I need to cover more than 4 frets - I am seeing how limiting that is and ready to move onto biiiig stretches and 3 notes per string - makes my left hand ache though :-) Also, I'm really seeing how posture and thumb placement have to be right to do this kind of stuff ...

Thanks Pavel!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Apr 20 2007, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
on a side note: Paul Gilbert uses hes 3d finger, and he says that's comfortable for him and useful for the scale shapes. And he does wide stretches too (with his big hands:P)
But that's just gilbertish I think biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Apr 20 2007, 09:21 PM

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 20 2007, 10:43 PM
Instructor
Well....after seeing Rusty Cooley doing huge stretches on 1st to 7th fret on 6th string i no longer think about it. Correct fingering is more than important!!

I will try to make up one lesson on big stretches - make a slow one for beginning so you can have something to practice stretches. Pain in the hand while stretching is VERY normal - stretches are not easy to practice. BUT - if you play stretches for 10 minutes you will realize how easy it is to play in position after that.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Apr 20 2007, 10:51 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 20 2007, 11:43 PM) *
Well....after seeing Rusty Cooley doing huge stretches on 1st to 7th fret on 6th string i no longer think about it. Correct fingering is more than important!!

I will try to make up one lesson on big stretches - make a slow one for beginning so you can have something to practice stretches. Pain in the hand while stretching is VERY normal - stretches are not easy to practice. BUT - if you play stretches for 10 minutes you will realize how easy it is to play in position after that.

Yeah, it's Gilbertyish or something like that wink.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 20 2007, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 20 2007, 05:43 PM) *
I will try to make up one lesson on big stretches - make a slow one for beginning so you can have something to practice stretches.

Ooh, yes please smile.gif If you can come up with some cool, stretchy 3 note per string exercise riffs that would be just about perfect for me cool.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 20 2007, 11:04 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 21 2007, 04:37 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 20 2007, 11:04 PM) *
Ooh, yes please smile.gif If you can come up with some cool, stretchy 3 note per string exercise riffs that would be just about perfect for me cool.gif

I would be interested in seeing this.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 21 2007, 04:37 AM

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 21 2007, 06:27 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 20 2007, 04:08 PM) *
I'm practicing 3-note per string scales ... I was wondering if there is a recommended way to finger the 5 fret stretches - I'm thinking of the middle fret, could either be middle or 3rd finger (obviously the outside notes are index and pinky) - anyone have any views?

Thanks,

Andrew

I normally use the index for the third fret instead of the mad mother finger simply because it allows me to throw the fourth note onto the same string with my pinky if I feel like doing it that way.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 20 2007, 04:18 PM) *
Aha, yes that makes a lot of sense - I am still in "positional" territory where I pick a position and use one finger per fret, and move if I need to cover more than 4 frets - I am seeing how limiting that is and ready to move onto biiiig stretches and 3 notes per string - makes my left hand ache though :-) Also, I'm really seeing how posture and thumb placement have to be right to do this kind of stuff ...

Thanks Pavel!

Oddly enough, I learned my scales playing three notes per string. I didn't have to worry about breaking out of positional boxes because until this year I hadn't even heard of them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:59 AM