2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Barenaked Ninja, Upload thread
Velvet Roger
Feb 24 2009, 03:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Please upload your assignments in this thread.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 5 2009, 06:34 AM
GMC:er
Assignment #1 - Strumming and Arpeggios

Here's my first assignment, let me know what you think! I'll try working on the group assignment over the weekend.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Barenaked Ninja: Mar 5 2009, 06:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roadside
Mar 5 2009, 08:11 AM
The tremolo use at the end was funny tongue.gif

Anyway, good job. Try to strum the full chords with a bit less of power and more feeling. Imo you just hit them to hard sometimes. Timing was pretty decent though smile.gif

cheers

+Quote Post
Roadside
Mar 5 2009, 08:13 AM

Anyway, good job. Try to strum the full chords with a bit less of power and more feeling. Imo you just hit them to hard sometimes. Timing was pretty decent though smile.gif

cheers

+Quote Post
Roadside
Mar 5 2009, 08:15 AM

cheers

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 5 2009, 09:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Mar 5 2009, 06:34 AM) *
Assignment #1 - Strumming and Arpeggios

Here's my first assignment, let me know what you think! I'll try working on the group assignment over the weekend.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for this!

Comments to assignment #1

I think you did a pretty good job with this lesson Lee, well done! smile.gif

There are a couple of things I would like to mention:

1) The most important objective of this lesson was to have good timing, which you certainly did. You were only a tiny bit off during the 2 consequtive upstroke strummings in the middle, but that's very minor. Good job here! smile.gif

2) Secondly, switching chordshapes is addressed, which is one of the basic requirements to really progress. Again, here you did very well. I noticed that you don't have many problems with switching around (only the switch to the F barre chord during the upstrokes strumming was a bit sloppy tongue.gif. Again well done!!!

3) Thirdly, the only thing that can use a bit more work is the actual strumming in relation to the arpeggiated parts in this lesson. Sometimes you strum really hard and very fast as well, which doesn't flow very well with the arpeggiated parts after it. Try to work on that a bit, to make everything link more with each other (try not to strum too hard, and you can also strum them a bit slower, please take another look at the video of Muris and you will see smile.gif).

All in all, really well done mate!

I will put up your new assignment in a few minutes probably smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 5 2009, 09:08 AM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 5 2009, 02:58 PM
good job man. Pretty nic overall, the hard strumming was mentioned, so I won't talk about more. Definitely better than my performance on this, a lot better haha. I'll have mine up later today, I'm just having recording issues. What do you use to record your video? All I have is my crappy webcam, so my video comes out all grainy. Doesn't look good at all.

Good job though

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90
Neck - DiMarzio DP193 Air Norton

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 6 2009, 04:10 AM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Mar 5 2009, 03:08 AM) *
1) The most important objective of this lesson was to have good timing, which you certainly did. You were only a tiny bit off during the 2 consequtive upstroke strummings in the middle, but that's very minor. Good job here! smile.gif

I can't really tell, was I too early or late?

2) Secondly, switching chordshapes is addressed, which is one of the basic requirements to really progress. Again, here you did very well. I noticed that you don't have many problems with switching around (only the switch to the F barre chord during the upstrokes strumming was a bit sloppy tongue.gif . Again well done!!!

Lol, I still struggle with going into a barre chord, pretty sad huh ? biggrin.gif.. Also, I learned Dm chord with this exercise, I never really used it much because I don't do a lot of chord work. This is why I'm glad to be starting at the beginning of all this so I can fill in gaps that I know I have in my playing.

3) Thirdly, the only thing that can use a bit more work is the actual strumming in relation to the arpeggiated parts in this lesson. Sometimes you strum really hard and very fast as well, which doesn't flow very well with the arpeggiated parts after it. Try to work on that a bit, to make everything link more with each other (try not to strum too hard, and you can also strum them a bit slower, please take another look at the video of Muris and you will see smile.gif ).

I see what you (and others) are saying. Especially my upstroked Eminor, eek! ohmy.gif

I will put up your new assignment in a few minutes probably smile.gif

Thanks! I'm trying to pick one of my options now. Am I supposed to work on it concurrently with the group assignment?

QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Mar 5 2009, 08:58 AM) *
good job man. Pretty nic overall, the hard strumming was mentioned, so I won't talk about more. Definitely better than my performance on this, a lot better haha. I'll have mine up later today, I'm just having recording issues. What do you use to record your video? All I have is my crappy webcam, so my video comes out all grainy. Doesn't look good at all.

Good job though

I use a digital camcorder for the recordings, It works out pretty good. I wish the backing tracks were available for download on each of the lessons though, so I could have better audio than just what the camcorder picks up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 08:47 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Mar 6 2009, 04:10 AM) *
I can't really tell, was I too early or late?

I first thought that you were a fraction too early, however after relistening I now noticed that it probably had to do with a different speed of strumming. Anyways, very marginally so nothing to worry about at all smile.gif

Lol, I still struggle with going into a barre chord, pretty sad huh ? biggrin.gif .. Also, I learned Dm chord with this exercise, I never really used it much because I don't do a lot of chord work. This is why I'm glad to be starting at the beginning of all this so I can fill in gaps that I know I have in my playing.

I am glad that you mention this, starting at the beginning may be sometimes demotivating, however it greatly helps yourself when you want to progress with proper technique etc later on smile.gif

I see what you (and others) are saying. Especially my upstroked Eminor, eek! ohmy.gif

I am confident that this issue is solved soonish wink.gif

Thanks! I'm trying to pick one of my options now. Am I supposed to work on it concurrently with the group assignment?

If possible please do. As the new individual lesson is probably taken you quite a bit more time to master, I would at least suggest that you start memorizing the patterns of the lesson already while working on the group assignment. In general I would like to see the group assignments as an exercise what you can do on a daily basis for not too long per day. The main assignment should be the individual one.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 26 2009, 04:08 AM
Assignment #2 - Alice in Chains Style Lesson

Hey Roger!

Here's my long promised video. I know I've got some problems with this, but like I mentioned before, I'm pretty new to legato type licks and this lesson took me forever to get under my fingers! I also know the rhythm is off a little in the beginning. I should've listened to Gabriel's version more! Anyways, let me know what you think when you get a chance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 28 2009, 10:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the take!

Comments to assignment #2

It may have taken a bit longer, but you did a great job with this one! smile.gif

There are a couple of things I would like to mention:

Your sound was OKish for the 'single note rhythm part' and the solo part, however especially at the start, it is missing some 'attack'. I am not a sound expert, but maybe a bit more mids, treble or lowering the bass can help out there (a bit less reverb may also help). Also try to play the F# powerchords as staccato as possible, which also helps to get that 'attack' sound.

Overall, your timing and bending in this lesson is pretty good. You played the right notes on the right moments. One part, which could not some improvement was the start of the solo (bars 17-18). If you listen to the original version, the separation between the bended note and the following 2 doublestops is more strict compared to your take. Try to get that sounding a bit more like Gabriel is playing it, as this makes the solo part more tight.

I think you did very well with your legato, especially given the fact that you had quite some troubles with it! smile.gif We will certainly do some lessons with more extensive legato work, to get that more into your daily routine as well.

I will put up your new assignment later today smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Apr 11 2009, 01:43 AM
Assignment #3 - Tarantella Rock

Here she is. Let me know what you think!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Apr 11 2009, 10:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Lee,

Cheers for this upload!

I think you did a great job and your playing improves definitely over time! smile.gif

A couple of comments:

The intro was very good, maybe you can mute the strings even a bit more to have that heavy sound a bit more (look at the video of Joe), but that's just a minor thing. Timing of the intro was great!

Then when you continue with the section until 0:30 in the video, I noticed during the movements from high to low on the fretboard that sometimes you have a bit of difficulty to let the notes 'flow' (e.g. bar 7, 8, 9). Currently, sometimes it sounds a bit staccato and the timing is a tiny bit of during those triplets. Try to work a bit on that. The 2nd time, during bar 11, 12, 13 it went much smoother! smile.gif

I think the 2nd part of the take went great, you applied nice vibrato at the right places (especially the last one! smile.gif and the timing of the notes was generally very good.

Sound was also good for this take, maybe a slightly bit less gain would have been also good, but that's a detail.

Great job done Lee! laugh.gif

Up to the next assignment, which I will post in a second!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Apr 11 2009, 10:12 AM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
May 19 2009, 04:31 AM
Assignment #4 - E Minor - Melodic Solo

My apologies for this taking so long. Let me know what you think. I know there were a few dead notes here and there.

This post has been edited by Barenaked Ninja: May 19 2009, 04:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 21 2009, 06:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ May 19 2009, 05:31 AM) *
Assignment #4 - E Minor - Melodic Solo

My apologies for this taking so long. Let me know what you think. I know there were a few dead notes here and there.

Thanks for your take Lee, much appreciated! It sounds pretty OK to me, with a few notes which were off regarding timing and pitch as far as I could remember the original version (did not check it here at my holidays).

Once I get back in the weekend I will have a good listen to your take and provide you with some detailed comments smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 24 2009, 07:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ May 21 2009, 07:51 PM) *
Thanks for your take Lee, much appreciated! It sounds pretty OK to me, with a few notes which were off regarding timing and pitch as far as I could remember the original version (did not check it here at my holidays).

Once I get back in the weekend I will have a good listen to your take and provide you with some detailed comments smile.gif

Ok, back from holidays, so here are my more detailed comments:

I think you did a pretty good job with this take Lee, as it is definitely not an easy lesson to master at all! Your bending is pretty solid (except in the end), and your applying quite a bit of vibrato here and there which is great, but be careful not to overdo it. The fast passage went OK as well.

You had several moments where your playing was a bit sloppy/needs to be cleaned, often at the start of a new passage (ex. start bar 3 (0:08), start bar 6 and 7 (0:20 - 0:23), try to work on that slowly to make sure that all unwanted noises are muted wink.gif .

You applied quite wide vibrato at several places, however you should be careful with that when you apply it during or just after a bend. At the end of bar 7 (0.29) after the quick 1/2 note bend you applied so much vibrato that this distinct quick bend was barely hearable. Take a look at the video of Muris again to see at which places he applied vibrato and how intense as you missed a couple of 'vibrato-moments' as well smile.gif .

As mentioned above the 1/2 note bends in bar 11 (0:45) were too high in pitch, but I am sure you noticed that already wink.gif .

Finally, besides the points mentioned above, which I am sure are easily resolved by you, the biggest point I noticed in this take was that your rhythmic placement was sometimes a bit off. You started really well , however if you listen to bar 4/5 (D and GMaj7 passages), especially the rhythmic placement of the first 16th notes is off. In other bars you also have the tendency to not play those 16th notes as straight as Muris is playing them, which is quite important in this lesson. The best thing to do here is to play the piece at a slower backing track for a while in order to get the timing absolutely right and then speed it up again.

All in all you did certainly a good job Lee. Would you be OK to work on this one a little longer, trying to address the points I made above and provide me with one more take on this one?

To have some variations in your practicing, it would be great if you could also look at the month assignment I have put up in the group exercises.

Cheers!
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
May 27 2009, 03:25 AM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ May 24 2009, 02:57 AM) *
Ok, back from holidays, so here are my more detailed comments:

I think you did a pretty good job with this take Lee, as it is definitely not an easy lesson to master at all! Your bending is pretty solid (except in the end), and your applying quite a bit of vibrato here and there which is great, but be careful not to overdo it. The fast passage went OK as well.

You had several moments where your playing was a bit sloppy/needs to be cleaned, often at the start of a new passage (ex. start bar 3 (0:08), start bar 6 and 7 (0:20 - 0:23), try to work on that slowly to make sure that all unwanted noises are muted wink.gif .

You applied quite wide vibrato at several places, however you should be careful with that when you apply it during or just after a bend. At the end of bar 7 (0.29) after the quick 1/2 note bend you applied so much vibrato that this distinct quick bend was barely hearable. Take a look at the video of Muris again to see at which places he applied vibrato and how intense as you missed a couple of 'vibrato-moments' as well smile.gif .

As mentioned above the 1/2 note bends in bar 11 (0:45) were too high in pitch, but I am sure you noticed that already wink.gif .

Finally, besides the points mentioned above, which I am sure are easily resolved by you, the biggest point I noticed in this take was that your rhythmic placement was sometimes a bit off. You started really well , however if you listen to bar 4/5 (D and GMaj7 passages), especially the rhythmic placement of the first 16th notes is off. In other bars you also have the tendency to not play those 16th notes as straight as Muris is playing them, which is quite important in this lesson. The best thing to do here is to play the piece at a slower backing track for a while in order to get the timing absolutely right and then speed it up again.

All in all you did certainly a good job Lee. Would you be OK to work on this one a little longer, trying to address the points I made above and provide me with one more take on this one?

To have some variations in your practicing, it would be great if you could also look at the month assignment I have put up in the group exercises.

Cheers!
Roger

Yea, I'd love to work on this one some more as well as knock out some of the group assignments. I'll be back to my guitar the beginning of the month. Thanks for your comments too, they'll help loads as I work on my trouble spots. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 27 2009, 09:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ May 27 2009, 04:25 AM) *
Yea, I'd love to work on this one some more as well as knock out some of the group assignments. I'll be back to my guitar the beginning of the month. Thanks for your comments too, they'll help loads as I work on my trouble spots. biggrin.gif

That's great, looking forward to your next takes Lee smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 29 2009, 11:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Lee,

How are things going?

Cheers
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Jun 29 2009, 10:27 PM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jun 29 2009, 06:33 AM) *
Hey Lee,

How are things going?

Cheers
Roger

Hey Roger, sorry for the lack of communication. I started seeing this girl about 3 weeks ago and the 30-60 minutes I did have for guitar per night has evaporated! I still play a little bit on the weekends, but if someone needs my MTP spot I'd certainly understand. I'm going to keep my GMC subscription going because this site is great and I know I'll find time for playing again eventually. I am still practicing that song although I don't think it has improved much since my video in May...

Thanks,
Lee

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:59 PM