Great Wav->mp3 Converter
ztevie
Feb 14 2009, 10:27 PM
GMC:er
I gave Big Harry a tip via PM, but thought I'd put it here too, so others can check it out. Might be useful for some of you?

"Just checked my other pc. I use LamedropXPd, it's very small and does the job perfectly... It's only a few hundreds of kB, so it's a better option if you just wanna convert wav to mp3.

Just click here: http://www.brothersoft.com/d.php?soft_id=1...d3.0-3.98.2.zip

UNzip the file, and save this exe-file anywhere you like. Then put a shortcut on your desktop.
When you want to convert a file, just click this shortcut and a very small window will open. Right click this and do your settings for mp3-quality and any other setting you like.. Where you want to save the mp3files. I chose to always put the mp3 where the wavfile is...
THen when you have a wav-file somewhere, simply drag the wav and drop it on this small window, and it will produce a mp3-file in seconds"

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 14 2009, 11:38 PM
Eeehhh... It says like this:

"LameDropXPd is a practical frontend for LAME encoding engine that makes things easier to the user, as there is no need to know about command line usage: most LAME settings are reachable on a graphical interface. Besides encoding WAV files to MP3, it can transcode Ogg Vorbis files, decode MP3 files to WAV, and auto-tag the files it encodes.

This is built using the revised encoding setup dialogue. This version has been modified to be more 'Vista' friendly but is otherwise unchanged. It also includes the fixed decoding routines and will accept OggVorbis files for transcoding to mp3(just drop them like any other input file) - Generic is MSVC6 compile and Standard is ICL4.5 compile."

This is regarding the 3.0-3.98.2 version

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ztevie: Feb 14 2009, 11:40 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 14 2009, 11:52 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the tip, very handy software!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 14 2009, 11:54 PM
It's probably illegal to use that software in the us and some other countries because of stupid software patents... But, yeah lame is the best mp3 encoder around. I don't think a gui is of much use there though.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 15 2009, 12:37 AM
Instructor
Thanks ztevie.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2009, 03:45 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks for the link! These little apps are very useful! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 15 2009, 09:43 AM
QUOTE (29a @ Feb 14 2009, 11:54 PM) *
It's probably illegal to use that software in the us and some other countries because of stupid software patents... But, yeah lame is the best mp3 encoder around. I don't think a gui is of much use there though.

Jonas

Illegal? Where do you get that from? I've tried to google, but nothing comes up, it's a legit freeware, as is the hundreds of other small apps that uses lame encoder in their converter software...
Don't see anything fishy about that.

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 15 2009, 01:24 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm guessing ztevie as to what 29a is referring to but I think it may be one of two things:

1) audio conversion to MP3 is usually based on code protected by a patent held by the Fraunhofer group. Lame doesn't use this code AFAIK but personal and commercial use of compiled versions of LAME (or any other mp3 encoder) still requires a patent license in some countries. This is why LAME is not distributed as a binary file. I would imagine the same here is true of Lamedrop XPD - whoever developed Lamedrop presumably cleared the patent with the Fraunhofer Group.

2) Somewhat differently, 29a may be referring to possible copyright issues related to ripping more generally. Here it would depend on the actual use being made of the encoder.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 15 2009, 01:36 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 15 2009, 01:24 PM) *
I'm guessing ztevie as to what 29a is referring to but I think it may be one of two things:

1) audio conversion to MP3 is usually based on code protected by a patent held by the Fraunhofer group. Lame doesn't use this code AFAIK but personal and commercial use of compiled versions of LAME (or any other mp3 encoder) still requires a patent license in some countries. This is why LAME is not distributed as a binary file. I would imagine the same here is true of Lamedrop XPD - whoever developed Lamedrop presumably cleared the patent with the Fraunhofer Group.

2) Somewhat differently, 29a may be referring to possible copyright issues related to ripping more generally. Here it would depend on the actual use being made of the encoder.

Cheers,
Tony

Oh, ok I see...
Check out this interesting The Lame Project page which contains all software that uses their encoder, both free and commercial. Lamedrop is in the list together with many others...
Here you can find the story behind the development also.

EDIT: Oh, and a link would be nice? Alzheimer! http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php

This post has been edited by ztevie: Feb 15 2009, 10:16 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 15 2009, 02:02 PM
Lame is based on the ISO standard and delivered only as source code. Therefor they claim it's just a description of an mp3 encoder not an implementation. Now to lamedrop or what ever software is using it needs to compile it first (compiling means to make an *.exe out of the program description / sourcecode). Now the compiled binary implements this patents and requires a license (in certain countries). Now such a patent license costs money I think mostly on a "per copy" basis. And I don't think that the author of some freeware tool is willing to pay that. Of course it could also be that this person lives in a country where those patents aren't valid. Still at least in the USA you are liable for even just using that software. But I'm software developer not lawyer.

Nope, I can differentiate between copyright and patents.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 15 2009, 02:24 PM
You mean that USA(for example) wants license money from Lamedrop(for example) for implementing Lame into their software? (Because it's based on ISO)
Even if Lame Project does not ask for any money from Lamedrop when they use it in their software?

This post has been edited by ztevie: Feb 15 2009, 02:24 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 15 2009, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Thanks ztevie , cool application smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 15 2009, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (ztevie @ Feb 15 2009, 02:24 PM) *
You mean that USA(for example) wants license money from Lamedrop(for example) for implementing Lame into their software? (Because it's based on ISO)
Even if Lame Project does not ask for any money from Lamedrop when they use it in their software?
Not the USA, but the Frauenhofer Group because it infringes their patents. And yes they can do that. No matter who the author or what the license is. mad.gif

- Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post
utak3r
Feb 15 2009, 05:25 PM
True, it's Fraunhofer's "property".... it's this stupid US patent law, you can't find a similar one anywhere in the world.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 15 2009, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (utak3r @ Feb 15 2009, 05:25 PM) *
True, it's Fraunhofer's "property".... it's this stupid US patent law, you can't find a similar one anywhere in the world.
"Soon in a european union near you.".. mad.gif

This post has been edited by 29a: Feb 15 2009, 05:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 15 2009, 07:11 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
My fave converter software is format factory, it converts pretty much anything, you can find it here.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 15 2009, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Feb 15 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Is this the same lame encoder that is used on audacity?

Lame encoding is used in many diffferent apps, audacity is one that uses it. Lamedrop is another, but lamedrop's only function is to convert...

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 15 2009, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Feb 15 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Is this the same lame encoder that is used on audacity?
It's the one that audacity doesn't offer for download from their server because of exactly this issues, yes. That's also the reason why the lame downloads are hosted in Argentina. wink.gif

Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:17 PM