Dr Strings....any Problems?
derper
Aug 28 2012, 03:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
I recently switched to DR over Ernie Ball because of the tone. But my guitar shop went out of their way to mention that DR's "sometimes have a 'bad production run' and we'll get a case that break easily or have problems", and my guitar tech said the exact same thing.

I REALLY love them over Slinky's, but wanted to specifically ask this question to any gigging musicians that change their strings more than once a month, who have played DR's.... any problems? With what I've been told, I'm scared to play them at gigs now. I have NEVER broken an Ernie Ball slinky on stage. NEVER! The last thing I need, is even a CHANCE that my string will break at an EMULATOR gig (we're doing 2 big-time gigs this month!) at a gaming convention right during a difficult song. I can't just "re-imagine" riffs like Contra/MegaMan/Battletoads on the fly, if a string goes missing.

Again: Please specify how often you change strings, and gig/practice so I can know where your experience is coming from. No offense, but those who don't play much and leave strings on for over a month, won't really have the info I'm looking for.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2012, 04:31 AM
GMC:er
If your gigging twice a month, maybe swap string sorta mid way between gigs to give them a chance to settle in
and break if they are going to. That way they will still be fresh for a gig and worn in enough to be predictable.

QUOTE (derper @ Aug 27 2012, 10:14 PM) *
I recently switched to DR over Ernie Ball because of the tone. But my guitar shop went out of their way to mention that DR's "sometimes have a 'bad production run' and we'll get a case that break easily or have problems", and my guitar tech said the exact same thing.

I REALLY love them over Slinky's, but wanted to specifically ask this question to any gigging musicians that change their strings more than once a month, who have played DR's.... any problems? With what I've been told, I'm scared to play them at gigs now. I have NEVER broken an Ernie Ball slinky on stage. NEVER! The last thing I need, is even a CHANCE that my string will break at an EMULATOR gig (we're doing 2 big-time gigs this month!) at a gaming convention right during a difficult song. I can't just "re-imagine" riffs like Contra/MegaMan/Battletoads on the fly, if a string goes missing.

Again: Please specify how often you change strings, and gig/practice so I can know where your experience is coming from. No offense, but those who don't play much and leave strings on for over a month, won't really have the info I'm looking for.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 28 2012, 07:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
That's just about what I do, although my hands sweat a lot so I change about 1-2 days prior to gig, so they are stretched (and I make sure to RIP into them!) as can be and also clean as can be.

Still....having 2 trustworthy, knowledgeable people tell me about DR's "inconsistency" is a bit scary. But, I can't deny how much more I love the DR tone.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 27 2012, 08:31 PM) *
If your gigging twice a month, maybe swap string sorta mid way between gigs to give them a chance to settle in
and break if they are going to. That way they will still be fresh for a gig and worn in enough to be predictable.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 29 2012, 03:46 AM
Instructor
Never had any problems! I like DR but usually go with La Bella because they are cheaper and I am changing strings once a week!

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Aug 29 2012, 11:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have only used DR's twice. Both sets were rather stiff and I broke them after only a couple of weeks with my Floyd Rose. I dive bombed too much apparently.

Honestly, the only strings that hold up with good tone and durability for me are:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...-guitar-strings

I remember being in love with Black Diamonds ages ago, but I only used one pair -- and I hadn't been playing for long.

The Thomastik Infelds are a bit pricey, but dammit are they worth it. I first discovered them when I used their Bebop Strings on my Hollowbody. I decided to try the PowerBrights and they sound absolutely fantastic for Metal, Rock, Blues, and Prog.

This post has been edited by Nihilist1: Aug 29 2012, 11:38 PM

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 30 2012, 12:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
This was like 3 years ago but I broke 4 strings between two sets of DR's in about a month. I change them about once a month, and I also pick hard so I might of beat them up too quick. Plus I like tension on my strings, I like to fight them actually smile.gif

I use LaBella because they are very clear, bright, and doing 10 hour recording session for a few weeks on end I have only broken one string in 6 months.

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Aug 30 2012, 04:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Aug 28 2012, 02:14 AM) *
...that DR's "sometimes have a 'bad production run"...

Yes, I experienced the same problems 3-3.5 years ago.
The first time I tryed DR strings, I was blowed out by it's tone, but then I caught several sets with bad intonation, broke some..
So, I returned to Elixir and change it every 3-4 weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 30 2012, 11:30 AM
Instructor
I thought you were referring to yourself as Dr. Strings !! (Doctor Strings !)

I'm Doctor Strings.. if you have any string problems, come to me and I'll fix them biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Aug 30 2012, 12:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 30 2012, 10:30 AM) *

I'm Doctor Strings.. if you have any string problems, come to me and I'll fix them biggrin.gif

Ahhahah, Ben! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 30 2012, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 30 2012, 10:30 AM) *

\HAHA, great one, Benny! biggrin.gif
It' sounded like some string polish lubricant!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 30 2012, 12:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 30 2012, 12:25 PM) *
\HAHA, great one, Benny! biggrin.gif
It' sounded like some string polish lubricant!!

'When you feel like you can't get a great tone... call Dr Strings !!'

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 30 2012, 12:40 PM
When you fell you can't get those squeeling high pitched natural harmonics , just Rubb it wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Aug 30 2012, 12:43 PM

+Quote Post
korblitz
Aug 30 2012, 01:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Dr.Strings!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 30 2012, 01:04 PM
What's that ? Attempt to form a Sailor's knot on classical guitar?

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 30 2012, 01:15 PM
I use Elixir.

With the 10-42 guage on my floyd rose equipt guitar I change them every 2 to 3 weeks roughly, that's with averaging 5 hours of playing a day. The high E usually snaps after this time. I think there may be an issue with a sharp edge on the guitar, though, as it's always the high E and I remember on my old strat I used elixir 9-42 guage and never ever snapped strings, and they would last for months even with this practicing routine. I'd only change them when they became uncomfortable to use.

I did use to use Ernie Ball's, the super slinky 9-42's on everything. I changed because I used to only practice around 30 mins to an hour a day, and when I went mad and started practicing a lot I'd eat through a pack of EB strings in a matter of a few days, which was expensive and annoying. So I decided to go for the Elixir's purely based on their 'long life' claims, which turned out to work for me. However, I'm noticing in the last few months that the strings aren't lasting as long before rusting, so I suspect they may have changed manufacturing methods or something.

Can't say for Dr's, or really for the "tone". I've never noticed tone differences between packs of strings, probably because I'm completly tone deaf.

I really would like to find a solution for my possible sharp-edge issue or some strings that last longer, simply because I hate restringing my guitar - it eats up time that I could be using to practice : <

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 30 2012, 01:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Aug 30 2012, 01:00 PM) *
Thanks Dr.Strings!

That's excellent !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 31 2012, 01:14 PM
keep the topic alive wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2012, 08:20 AM
I"ve been using SUPER SLINKY 9 sets for quite some time after trying just about every pack of strings I could my hands on. For me they are the perfect combination of variables. But some folks just can't 9's. Then again some folks hate 10's. There's always something not to like smile.gif But yeah, I really dig the super slinky 9 sets.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 1 2012, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 1 2012, 08:20 AM) *
But yeah, I really dig the super slinky 9 sets.

Join the club, Todd !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 1 2012, 03:56 PM
Hybrid SLinky 9-46 FTW!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:07 AM