Breaking The Speed 'barrier
Barthandelus
Oct 13 2013, 01:59 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys,
Looking for some tips here! smile.gif

Some high speed licks seem to 'roll off' my left hand with almost perfect accuracy. The notes on the fret board happen to be in just the right place that allows them to be played fast and accurately with relatively little practice. For example, the first 30secs or so of this:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/w-a-mo...-turkish-march/
Sure, the first 30 secs of the lesson took some work, but i got there in a few days. If you check it out, you'll see what i mean - the notes seem to flow so well you play them as lots of connected licks in one flowing movement - you dont really need to concentrate on the individual notes themselves.

Now, moving on to other pieces, such as:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ssical-etude-1/
This one is two difficulty levels lower, and a little slower. After breaking the solo down into bite sized pieces, I have learned the notes by heart, but no matter how much i try, i cannot get anywhere near the speed. Its if there is some barrier that i cant break down. I cant seem to seamlessly 'merge' them in to full speed licks - God knows, iv tried! For some reason, my hands loose coordination with each other, and when i try to speed it up, it all falls apart. I dont seem to be able to productively practice these kinds of solos.

I practice everyday, been playing a few years and my gear isnt rubbish and i know this kind of thing doesn't come overnight, and i am not trying to be the next Steve Vai - i just cant bust that speed barrier!

Can anyone give some tips (maybe links to videos) on how to generally improve speed, left-right hand coordination, and how to get this down? Or at least let me know im not on my own, and that someone knows what i mean so im not going loopy!? smile.gif

Thanks for any help, all! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 12:51 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif This sort of mechanics stuff and breaking barriers is most definitely Todd Simpson material - I totally recommend you to try his video chat sessions in which he helps folks with this sort of stuff.

I for one simply give it time - even if it means progressing with 1 BPM/ day smile.gif Focusing on staying relaxed, in flow and having an efficient technique. If you would make a video we would be able to understand what your hands are doing and help even more smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Barthandelus
Oct 13 2013, 01:09 PM
Hey bro, thanks for the reply!
I found a series by Todd here after your suggestion:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Shred_Journey

This is the sort of thing im looking for, thanks for the pointer! Over 200 lessons in this series, cant wait get started. Guess its a case of starting off at Lesson 1 and working up from there - perfect!

Ill try to make some videos once iv improved just a little more wink.gif

Thanks again, its a big help,

B

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Hehe! Glad to know I could help wink.gif Keep us posted and share the vid once you are ready, aye mate?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2013, 06:36 PM
Instructor
Cool topic. I remember one day I was listening to Extreme's solos (Nuno Bettencourt) and I said... wou, his alternate picking has no limits! I want to be able to play like him, without limits. So I started practicing a routine with exercises over metronome every day. The exercises where simple and repetitive. Before that I used to play a lot but mostly improvising over songs, or just songs. I could get better but practicing exercises diary as if I were doing gym has been very effective for me. I know that there are many guitarists taht say that this practice is not creative but it has been my way to break the speed barrier.

Most of those exercises are written in my Intensive Technique Course:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

also I used the video clinic called "Speed & Accuracy" by Vinnie Moore.

Do you usually practice in this way?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Barthandelus
Oct 13 2013, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 13 2013, 05:36 PM) *
Do you usually practice in this way?

Hi mate! Yeah, thats the normal regime. Your stuff looks awesome - that should get me where i would like to be!

Thanks man.

This post has been edited by Barthandelus: Oct 13 2013, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2013, 07:26 PM
Todd here smile.gif Shoot me a PM here on GMC and I"d be glad to set you up in my SHRED BOOTCAMP and guide you through the lessons and "Rank you up" as you go!

Todd

QUOTE (Barthandelus @ Oct 13 2013, 08:09 AM) *
Hey bro, thanks for the reply!
I found a series by Todd here after your suggestion:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Shred_Journey

This is the sort of thing im looking for, thanks for the pointer! Over 200 lessons in this series, cant wait get started. Guess its a case of starting off at Lesson 1 and working up from there - perfect!

Ill try to make some videos once iv improved just a little more wink.gif

Thanks again, its a big help,

B

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2013, 07:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Barthandelus @ Oct 13 2013, 03:24 PM) *
Hi mate! Yeah, thats the normal regime. Your stuff looks awesome - that should get me where i would like to be!

Thanks man.

Great to know it mate! I'm sending a PM right now, check it out!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:49 PM