8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Beat's Bootcamp, Earn or Burn!!!!
Todd Simpson
May 10 2020, 02:18 AM
GMC:er
Soldier I really appreciate your AGGRESSIVE STYLE!!!! It bodes well for your future as a player. Putting all that in to the instrument is what it takes to be a great player. This particular lick is more about precision than speed, much like the other licks based on the same concept. I'm trying to train your fingers to be able to traverse strings and traverse frets, while keeping perfect hand synch, and being able to listen to the metronome and integrate the pace in to your playing. It's a LOT to do at once but it's a foundational skill that will serve you well as you continue in the missions. There are plenty of purely shred licks to come that are built for pure straight line speed. Once your hands are properly trained, the shreddy bits will seem pretty basic to you. It's actually the bits like this which can be tricky. You have this lick down cold. It's just a little rushed from the metronome beat. Back off just a pinch and keep that click in your ear. Tap your foot, bang your head, do both if you want to, it can help you tie your playing to the beat. You only rushing by a quarter of a beat which is not much and it's only now and then. So I know you are able to play this bit. Back off just a pinch on the speed and try the tapped foot, banging head, anything to tie your body to the beat. Give me one more a bit more precise and your DONE and BADGED!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ May 9 2020, 10:25 AM) *

My lesson 8

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
May 10 2020, 04:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Todd

Once again...
Many thanks for your support!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 11 2020, 08:21 PM
Now you've got it! On many of these, your brain has be split in two parts, one part to play the lick and another part to try to tie the lick to the beat/click. The fingers sometimes get ahead or behind by themselves. So keeping on point can be hard. I think you are getting the hang of it Soldier!

Lets' Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TRAVERSE OF KINGS
You may have noticed that these licks have a LOT of string traverse. This is something that many players struggle with. Often, the pick will snag on a string an ruin the bit. Not for you! Smooth picking and fret traverse. NICE!

SOLID PACING Any looping lick like these is about pacing. It's giving you a chance to rush or lag which ruins the take. You have adapted to this and it's nice and smooth. SCORE!!

ALT PICKING FROM HELL Pretty much non stop alternate picking. It's built to train your picking hand to keep up a solid pace of alt picking to prepare you play the alt pick shreddy high speed licks to come. DOUBLE SCORE!

Congrats Soldier. You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ May 10 2020, 11:21 AM) *
Hi Todd

Once again...
Many thanks for your support!!

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
May 13 2020, 03:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi ToddHi Todd
My lesson 9

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2020, 07:53 PM
WELL FREAKING FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! I can see that you are really getting the hang of synching up to the metronome!!! I can see lots of improvement even from the last Mission!! Your SYNCH is quite good here which is really what I want to see. A BIG part of these first missions is to get you comfortable playing in very tight lock step with the metronome. You've come a very long way in this and it will serve you well on your journey!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

SNIPER
Your precision is spot on. It's good to see! Never hitting the wrong strike, always making a clean hit. keep that up!!

CONSISTENCY
The reason I have you play this more than one time is to see if you can play it with consistency. This is the most important thing you can do and your doing it well. Being able to play with consistent pace, strikes, hand synch, is crucial. You've shown great ability with it thus far. Keep that up too!!

MUTE TO KILL A good mute is crucial. Without it, string noise will kill your solos. A good mute is one that covers the entire bridge so that you dont have to lean on the left hand for muting strings. Not everyone can do this. I'm very glad to see that you can!!

It's great to see you making such good progress Soldier!! I know it's been hard. You've earned it!!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ May 13 2020, 10:48 AM) *
Hi ToddHi Todd
My lesson 9

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
May 18 2020, 04:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Todd

Hello Todd

here is my lesson 10. (90BPM)
I'm working again. So it took a little longer ...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 19 2020, 02:03 AM
NICE!! You keep getting better and better Soldier! These drills with the metronome are getting tighter each time. Your internal mertronome is starting to kick in! I can tell you are in much tighter synch with the beat. This is a foundational skill that will serve you well as in the future. Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

SYNCH OR SWIM:
First thing I wanna see is very solid SYNCH. My expectations for your synch go up with each Mission and you are doing a Great job on synch! Perfect use of the metronome. Keep it up!

MUTE OR DIE: Second, I want to see your mute getting better each time. Due to the massive amount of string/fret traverse, you gotta keep a good palm mute on this guy or string noise will just wreck it. Your mute is spot on. You are at the level now where you can do left hand only mutes. SCORE!

AGGRESSIVE STYLE: Lastly, I want to see you confident in your playing. No hesitation. You jumped right in and pushed the envelope and still kept it under control. DOUBLE SCORE!

You got this type of lick sorted out Soldier. You are ready for the crazy bits that are coming!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ May 18 2020, 11:17 AM) *
Hi Todd

Hello Todd

here is my lesson 10. (90BPM)
I'm working again. So it took a little longer ...

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
May 23 2020, 02:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello Todd
Here is my contribution to lesson 11.
Sorry for the delay ... I forgot to turn this off when recording ... I'm not practicing with delay! Here I turned it on because it was so cool!!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 23 2020, 11:27 PM
Well Fought Soldier!!! you are getting better and better at keeping time with the metronome. It never hurts to tap your foot or bang your head to the beat to make the beat part of your body. It helps to internalize it. This a LONG lick. It travels all the way up the neck and is a real test of endurance. Some folks just can't play it that far up the neck. Their arm starts to burn and they have to quit. Part of the lesson is to try to teach the arm/hands to stay relaxed so that endurance is increased. Otherwise, there is no way to play this lick all the way up, the hand just cramps up and fails. No worries on that for you! Endurance to spare! Nice.

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

LOOPY: You may notice that I have you play licks often in a "Loop". This is so that you focus on the lick itself. Also, it allows me to see your playing over a distance of ground. If you rush/lag, it will stick out like a sore thumb. You keep it even for the entire time. There are a couple of notes maybe a pinch out of time but not enough to keep you from badging up. It's impressive that you are able to play this all the way up the neck!

NON STOP TRAVERSE: As with a few others, this lick traverses strings and frets non stop. This is to test your ability to change strings and change frets without rest. It makes you play on smaller frets each time you move up. So it gets harder each time you move. This doesn't seem to trip you up at all. Nice!

ARTICULATION: You are doing a very good job of articulating the pick with your thumb/first finger and avoiding the dreaded "Picking from the Elbow". It's great to see you using the wrist for main control and your fingers for precision at the strike point. Very well done.

In short, you KRUSHED IT! You are ready for what awaits you Soldier!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ May 23 2020, 09:22 AM) *
Hello Todd
Here is my contribution to lesson 11.
Sorry for the delay ... I forgot to turn this off when recording ... I'm not practicing with delay! Here I turned it on because it was so cool!!!

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Jun 3 2020, 06:35 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My Lesson 12

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2020, 06:05 AM
You've got the left hand and the hand synch and the pattern down cold Soldier!! There is only one part of this that doesn't scream BADGE UP and that's the mute. This lick is about fast alt picking while keeping a stiff palm mute which makes each note stand out and be dinstinct which is what makes it sound so fast played at speed. If the mute is light, the picking and thus the notes bleed together a bit. Your mute playing the E string is great! Pinky extended, solid pressure on the bridge. Take that same technique and apply it to the other strings. Make each note pop out. It should sound very very percussive. fast chugga chugga all the way down.

Once more in to the breach!!

Great progress on your technique Soldier! This is where you combine all of the left and right hand work at once!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jun 3 2020, 01:35 AM) *
My Lesson 12

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Jun 4 2020, 01:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 12..... Take 2

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2020, 06:16 PM
Much better!! I can hear the chunk in each note which is what makes this lick so cool. I do notice you are not picking as much with the thumb and forefinger and a bit more from the wrist and the pick arm is a pinch stiff, but it's something that will come with time. The goal of this Mission is to get you to combine several techniques while keeping a solid mute and you've done it!!! Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICK OF DESTINY: Alternate Picking is at the core of this lick. Without good alt picking technique, this lick won't work. It's the kind of thing you just cant play with all downstrokes no matter what. You have very smooth alternate picking on this one.

TRAVERSAL OF FORTUNE: Non stop fret traverse is required on this one.You gotta keep moving the entire time with no break, no pause and no gap to catch your breath. This is tot prep you for shredding which happens in large groups of notes with no breaks. You are making great progress to be able to play this lick at this speed with precision. I think it would have been far more tricky at Level 1. Your moving along great!

PINKY TIME:
Good use of the pinky here! On the lower frets, Pinky Power is crucial. Playrs ignore it to their peril. Pinky Power!

You got this one Soldier. Well Fought!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

This is your last single chevron mission badge Soldier!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jun 4 2020, 08:01 AM) *
Lesson 12..... Take 2

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2020, 06:00 AM
If you have a copy of overloud THU try this patch for Mission Drills!

Attached File  PushedTubeAmp.xml.zip ( 1.87K ) Number of downloads: 445

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Aug 31 2020, 07:27 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 13..

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2020, 08:52 PM
IMPRESSSIVE!! This is the most complicated thing we have done so far and it's just flat out technically difficult, especially at first since it requires so many things to be done at the same time. Solid hand synch, good alternate picking, constant string traverse and a pattern of notes that can very confusing. Miss one note, start over. Not to mention Multi Picking and palm muting. So it's everything we have done up to this point and a crazy complex note pattern on top. It's a "Barrier" sort of lesson. You KRUSHED it!! let's debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TACTICAL PRECISION: The first thing I look for on this is your pick precision. I want to see your fingers landing in the right spot and see your hand synch is tight. You nailed it!

*STEADY PACE: The second thing I want to see on this is a steady pace of play. If you rush or lag it's very easy to hear as the entire lick has equally spaced notes. You play it rock steady all the way through!

*QUIET AS DEATH:
With all of the constant string traverse, this lick can get very noisy, very quickly unless one keeps a good mute. You have developed a very solid mute so there is zero string noise!

This is NOT an easy Mission and you DESTROYED it!!!!! NICE!!!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Aug 31 2020, 02:27 AM) *
Lesson 13..

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 31 2020, 08:53 PM

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Sep 29 2020, 03:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 14 is finished

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 30 2020, 02:20 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! I would have liked to have seen more PINKY use on this one but the notes are close enough to where one doesn't have to. The lick sounds right which is what I want to hear! smile.gif There are plenty of Missions to come that have a huge stretch that will work the Pinky! Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TACTICAL PRECISION: Very well done on pick strikes and fretting. Without a high degree of precision, this lick just falls apart. You have good control over picking and fretting.

*STEADY PACE: Didn't rush, didn't lag. Being able to play at a steady pace and not rush the easy bits and then drag the difficult bits is crucial to being a well rounded player. The shape changes midstream and you keep it nice and smooth!

*QUIET AS DEATH: On these types of licks that use all the strings, it's very hard to keep it from generating string noise. Not a problem here! You have a very solid Mute!!

Well fought Soldier! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Sep 29 2020, 10:04 AM) *
Lesson 14 is finished

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 30 2020, 02:22 AM

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Oct 4 2020, 08:25 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Since I didn't use my little finger very much in lesson 14, I cannot do without it in this lesson.
But Slash grew up without it ..... cool.gif

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Oct 4 2020, 08:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My Lesson 16

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 PM