18 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
Jeroen
Mar 18 2014, 01:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 18 2014, 12:38 PM) *
Howdy man!

I became acquainted with your playing along the way and now I know how things should go wink.gif

How does it sound to you mate?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,

Great idea. I will start today and work my way up along the structure you have written down. I'll keep you up to date with my progress. Let's evaluate in a week's time with a take 3?

Jeroen

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 18 2014, 11:25 PM
Practice log - The Voice of your Guitar.

Here's a little practice log of my first practice day.

Day 1

Metronome 50 bpm - Played the licks
At first I was struggling to stay in the beat. But after 10 minutes or so it started to work better when I focussed on which notes should land on the first beat

Backing track 50 - Played the whole piece several times
At first I was totally lost where phrases start and end because of the slow tempo. Resulting in playing totally out of the beat. After a while I started to catch the flow of the song. I noticed that I especially play notes at the end of a phrase to short, which makes me rush in to the next phrase ahead of the beat.

Analysis of the first lick and chord progression
Notes of the 1st lick: C# E C# // D# C# B G# // B B C#

Over the chord progression:
Aadd9 - Notes: A, E, A, C#, B, E. (TAB: 577600)
Badd11 - Notes: B, F#, B, D#, B, E. (TAB 799800)
G#m - Notes: G#, D#, G#, B, D#, G# (TAB 466444)
Aadd9 - Notes: A, E, A, C#, B, E. (TAB: 577600)

Total time spent: 2 hours smile.gif

Jeroen

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2014, 09:17 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Glad to see you are working on this so diligently! One of the best ways to make sure that you know each little thing in a track, as well as note and rest lengths, is to learn it by heart in your head and become able to hum along with the track. Once you can do that, it's only a matter of time to learn it on the guitar, but all the note lengths will be in your head already wink.gif Have you tried that?

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 19 2014, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 19 2014, 09:17 AM) *
Hey mate! Glad to see you are working on this so diligently! One of the best ways to make sure that you know each little thing in a track, as well as note and rest lengths, is to learn it by heart in your head and become able to hum along with the track. Once you can do that, it's only a matter of time to learn it on the guitar, but all the note lengths will be in your head already wink.gif Have you tried that?

Hi Cosmin,

Today I worked on my string bending as Gabriel advised me to do. Here's the result:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

smile.gif Jeroen

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 20 2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 19 2014, 08:03 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,

Today I worked on my string bending as Gabriel advised me to do. Here's the result:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

smile.gif Jeroen

Howdy Jeroen - I commented and graded in the REC zone wink.gif Keep up the good work mate!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 20 2014, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 20 2014, 09:25 AM) *
Howdy Jeroen - I commented and graded in the REC zone wink.gif Keep up the good work mate!

Thanks for the 8 !!

Looks like this will be the first REC take I'm going to pass. But I will still work on this one, because I know I can improve it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 20 2014, 06:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi Cosmin

I have practiced the beginner rock rhythm lesson over the original recording over and over again. I feel that my right hand is a lot more relaxed and will have another recording of it up this weekend for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 20 2014, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 20 2014, 09:25 AM) *

Hi Cosmin,

Here's my practice log of day 2 and 3. biggrin.gif

Day 2
Beginners corner 21: String bending
Worked on my string bending technique. I noticed that my bends were around the right pitch when I started this lesson. Not exactly spot on, but a little bit off. By practicing this over and over I am able to reach the exact pitch.

Day 3
Beginners Corner 21: string bending

Adding vibrato to the bends. It's quite hard to get nice even vibrato's while bending! Although I use a lot of bends and vibrato in my playing I never really paid attention to my vibrato while bending. This can definitely be improved.

The Voice of my guitar
Played over backing track 50 (the slowest). Works out pretty well now.

Dave Murray style - Ben Higgins
Started with a more "long term" lesson, this one will take me a few weeks. It's good to work towards a goal smile.gif and this is a lesson I want to nail, no matter what!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 21 2014, 09:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 20 2014, 09:02 AM) *
Thanks for the 8 !!

Looks like this will be the first REC take I'm going to pass. But I will still work on this one, because I know I can improve it. smile.gif

You should always strive for better, man smile.gif 8 is ok, but you can do A LOT better! smile.gif

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 20 2014, 05:51 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

I have practiced the beginner rock rhythm lesson over the original recording over and over again. I feel that my right hand is a lot more relaxed and will have another recording of it up this weekend for you smile.gif

That sounds great man smile.gif I know that the feeling of certainty is always there when you have to double something that is already recorded, especially when it is recorded well, so make sure that you will keep this feeling of certainty when you have to record over the bare backing yourself, ok?

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 20 2014, 08:41 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,

Here's my practice log of day 2 and 3. biggrin.gif

Day 2
Beginners corner 21: String bending
Worked on my string bending technique. I noticed that my bends were around the right pitch when I started this lesson. Not exactly spot on, but a little bit off. By practicing this over and over I am able to reach the exact pitch.

Day 3
Beginners Corner 21: string bending

Adding vibrato to the bends. It's quite hard to get nice even vibrato's while bending! Although I use a lot of bends and vibrato in my playing I never really paid attention to my vibrato while bending. This can definitely be improved.

The Voice of my guitar
Played over backing track 50 (the slowest). Works out pretty well now.

Dave Murray style - Ben Higgins
Started with a more "long term" lesson, this one will take me a few weeks. It's good to work towards a goal smile.gif and this is a lesson I want to nail, no matter what!

Thanks for keeping me updated man smile.gif As I probably stated before - bending and vibrato are generally improved over time, so keep at it and you'll most likely get there wink.gif

About Ben's lesson - first things first, make sure you can play everything clean, tight, articulated and in good timing at the slowest tempo smile.gif Once you have it perfectly done at that tempo, all you have to do is raise it smile.gif

+Quote Post
grmin04
Mar 23 2014, 05:44 AM
Ans 1: 10 Years
Ans 2: intermedium
Ans 3: Not much
Ans 4: 1 hour
Ans 5: Hammer On
Ans 6: I would like to improve Speed, combination of the diferent scales.
Ans 7: I used to play at the church, just playing rhythm Guitar
Ans 8: Electric Guitar and acustic/electric guitar, Amp.
Ans 9: Jimmy Hendrix

Thanks, Mr Cosmin

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 23 2014, 08:23 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 21 2014, 09:40 AM) *
You should always strive for better, man smile.gif 8 is ok, but you can do A LOT better! smile.gif

AND I WILL!! wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 23 2014, 11:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (grmin04 @ Mar 23 2014, 04:44 AM) *
Ans 1: 10 Years
Ans 2: intermedium
Ans 3: Not much
Ans 4: 1 hour
Ans 5: Hammer On
Ans 6: I would like to improve Speed, combination of the diferent scales.
Ans 7: I used to play at the church, just playing rhythm Guitar
Ans 8: Electric Guitar and acustic/electric guitar, Amp.
Ans 9: Jimmy Hendrix

Thanks, Mr Cosmin

Hey mate smile.gif Based on your answers, I think that the following schedule covering one week should be a great start:

This week's lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...r-22-Hammer-On/

- understand the theoretical concepts - know what and why you are playing!
- learn the lesson structure - things will flow naturally once you know what's next when playing any piece
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - you will learn the lesson and become accustomed with the timing and feel
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - respecting timing and phrasing will provide essential advantages when you will face the details of any piece!
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

Day 1-5:

Based on the fact that you have one hour a day, I think that the lesson above is pretty much a sufficient load to handle this week, so please follow the steps indicated in order to understand, learn and perform it as best as possible.

Day 6-7 - Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! Recording - it's not mandatory but it can help A TON - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned out of this lesson smile.gif

How does it sound to you mate?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 23 2014, 07:05 PM
Hi Cosmin

Here is another take of the basic rock rhythm lesson. Hopefully its better that my first take. I noticed that during the solo I rushed a bit that I am usually don't do.I will keep practicing everything you give me until I get everything sorted out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 24 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 23 2014, 06:05 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Here is another take of the basic rock rhythm lesson. Hopefully its better that my first take. I noticed that during the solo I rushed a bit that I am usually don't do.I will keep practicing everything you give me until I get everything sorted out smile.gif

Hey mate smile.gif Can you please record against the original take of this lesson and post a video? You seem to miss some notes and not really reproduce the phrases in their entirety, as they are being played in the original recording. Please try my suggestion, so that you may be able to compare the takes.

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 24 2014, 07:22 PM
Day 4/5/6

Practiced "The voice of my guitar" with the middle speed backing track.
Practiced String Bending with vibrato.
Started learning the notes of Dave Murray style lesson.
I created a GMC collab Gary Moore tribute solo https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51553

biggrin.gif I am feeling happy because of the effort I'm putting in it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 24 2014, 06:22 PM) *
Day 4/5/6

Practiced "The voice of my guitar" with the middle speed backing track.
Practiced String Bending with vibrato.
Started learning the notes of Dave Murray style lesson.
I created a GMC collab Gary Moore tribute solo https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51553

biggrin.gif I am feeling happy because of the effort I'm putting in it tongue.gif

Glad to hear you are motivated and pushing forward, man smile.gif Things are not as difficult as they may seem, when you are focused and you practice smart wink.gif I am very curious to see what happens next, so keep me updated and send me some recordings if you have some. You know, a good way to dissect things even better, would be to record small portions of the pieces in order to make sure you have them all done well and then put them together. Have you tried that?

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 25 2014, 03:04 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2014, 09:25 AM) *
Glad to hear you are motivated and pushing forward, man smile.gif Things are not as difficult as they may seem, when you are focused and you practice smart wink.gif I am very curious to see what happens next, so keep me updated and send me some recordings if you have some. You know, a good way to dissect things even better, would be to record small portions of the pieces in order to make sure you have them all done well and then put them together. Have you tried that?

Hi Cosmin, I'll record some pieces tonight. Get back to you soon. Thanks for your support

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 25 2014, 02:04 PM) *
Hi Cosmin, I'll record some pieces tonight. Get back to you soon. Thanks for your support

Looking forward to it mate wink.gif Let's see how it goes with this one and then we can look at the other lessons as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 26 2014, 12:11 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2014, 08:49 AM) *
Looking forward to it mate wink.gif Let's see how it goes with this one and then we can look at the other lessons as well smile.gif

Hi Cosmin, I recorded the voice of my guitar phrase by phrase to figure out if I'm playing every phrase correct. It turned out that I was still rushing some pieces. So I'll redo it tonight and see if I can improve..

I also recorded take 2 of beginners corner string bending. See REC takes.

Here's my third take on The Voice of my Guitar. I didn't submit this one as REC take yet. I want you to look at it first.

Jeroen

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Mar 26 2014, 08:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 26 2014, 06:48 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 24 2014, 07:50 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif Can you please record against the original take of this lesson and post a video? You seem to miss some notes and not really reproduce the phrases in their entirety, as they are being played in the original recording. Please try my suggestion, so that you may be able to compare the takes.

Hi Cosmin

A possible stupid question laugh.gif How do I record against the original if I can not download the original to place into my DAW.

To be honest Cosmin I am still struggling to get to grips with timing when playing through the lesson as a whole. I am not always sure whether am to fast or to slow.

I take the following steps when learning a lesson

Learn each part of the lesson and play it over the metronome.
Listen to the original lesson multiple times to hear what is happening.
Humming over the lesson as you suggested.

I am practicing different sub divisions everyday over the metronome for 30 minutes as well.

When it comes to playing over the backing track all the parts don't fall into place. I unable to really get a feel for everything.

Even with songs I know all the lyrics to and have probably listened to hundreds of times I can not sing along on time to it.

I am never going to give up but it does feel like its something that I will never really get the hang off.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:16 PM