How To Mute Strings To Prevent Noise
smrt173
Oct 29 2007, 10:02 PM
GMC:er
How do you guys mute the strings so as to prevent noise..
I get A LOT of noise when playing solos and licks....
They are very annoying especially in overdrive settings
Can you good people explain how to effectively mute the strings as you are playing them...
Do you use the left hand fingers and/or right hand fingers and how do you go about doing them in such a short time ( between string skips and everything else )

thx...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 29 2007, 10:32 PM
With your fretting hand, try and have your index finger touching the lower string next to it to reduce noise, it should also be curled down resting of the higher strings next to it so it stops those rining out as well. This can seem unnatural at first but will soon just sink in and will do it without you realising.

For your picking hand, it should be rest across the lower string which you aren't playing to mute those, and move up and down depending on what strings you are playing so you don't mute the string oyu want to play, and mute the string you've moved from. Hope this helps

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 30 2007, 11:41 PM
Lets go fishing!
That is a pretty good explanation Steve. I too pretty much always have my picking hand palm resting over the low strings - infact any strings im not playing. This i find suitable dampens unused strings.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 31 2007, 05:54 AM
Hey Matt thanks, yeah this is how it's done. And to make totally sure i do it with my fretting hand as well. Sort of gives me like a double muting or something, so the string has no chance of ringing out

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 31 2007, 05:57 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (steve25 @ Oct 31 2007, 04:54 AM) *
Hey Matt thanks, yeah this is how it's done. And to make totally sure i do it with my fretting hand as well. Sort of gives me like a double muting or something, so the string has no chance of ringing out

This is definatly one the "must" skills for all players. Sounds like you have the technique down!!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ryan
Oct 31 2007, 06:01 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Oct 30 2007, 11:54 PM) *

Yeah, i found that the left hand Index finger, if you have barre chords down already. It naturally mutes the higher strings. As the lower strings though. Its easy. Just place your palm on the strings, and move with it. Its not to hard to get down in the beginning, and I really havent had any problems with string noise, but the problem is with muting. When you get into shred, and string skipping. Thats when it gets kind of difficult!! But really for me. It all really came natural.

This post has been edited by Ryan: Oct 31 2007, 06:02 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:02 AM