How's This Mix?
Socky42
Mar 1 2013, 10:23 AM
GMC:er
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/mix-test

I live at uni right now, so I can't exactly use my monitors to mix. Not ideal, but i'm using my headphones instead. Still gotta fix the balance of the filter bit, the bass fill and change the tone of the last solo.

I have a feeling the cymbals are a bit too bright at times and that the bass is over-emphasised at some parts. Guess it's worth noting I don't have a lot of control over the individual drums, they were played by another YouTuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/thehumantim), who used a electric kit and he just gave me the wav file straight from the output. (His bass drum compared to any ezdrummer library is just insane in terms of punchiness)

It's a Sonic The Hedgehog Metal Medley for YouTube -

0:00 - Chemical Plant Zone
1:05 - Lava Reef Zone
2:05 - Flying Battery Zone

Any observations or feedback is appreciated.

And just as a point of comparison to an attempt 4 months ago, sorry for butchering the song laugh.gif,

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/chemical-plant-zone

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Socky42: Mar 1 2013, 10:27 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Mar 1 2013, 12:01 PM
I like the mix, that kick drum is sick and nice guitar playing too smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 1 2013, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I don't have my monitors here so I just listened with my headphones. I think that the drums sound better in the second track that you posted (the older). Both the kick and snare sound more powerful and more defined in the mix. Also the Overheads/HH seem to be too loud/bright so when they appear occupancy a very important part of the frequency spectrum. I can't hear the bass in both mixes, is there a bass? If you recorded a bass, try lowering bass frequencies of your guitar and increase a bit your bass eq at 80/100 hz and at 1.5/2.5 KHZ.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 4 2013, 09:49 AM
Instructor
I am no expert in mixing, but this is what I hear - the cymbals are too loud and the bass is absent. Just like Gabe pointed it out - more scientifically and explicit of course - so my advice would be, go for his advice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2013, 01:09 AM
First off, congrats on putting an entire tune together and mixing all from scratch!!! And it RAWKS!!!

As for the picky bits,

1.)What Drum VST are you using? Ez Drummer?

2.)Are you using your DRUM VST as a STEREO output in your daw?

3.)Or are you sending each drum to it's own track?

It sounds sorta like Ez Drummer with one of the expansion pack/sets, sent to a stereo pair of tracks and then some compression and reverb, maybe ozone on top. This usually results in the high hats and cymbals washing WAAAAAYYYY to hard and being harsh in the mix.

Then again you could have it all going to separate tracks and just need some EQ/compression/volume tweaks on your brass. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Mar 1 2013, 04:23 AM) *
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/mix-test

I live at uni right now, so I can't exactly use my monitors to mix. Not ideal, but i'm using my headphones instead. Still gotta fix the balance of the filter bit, the bass fill and change the tone of the last solo.

I have a feeling the cymbals are a bit too bright at times and that the bass is over-emphasised at some parts. Guess it's worth noting I don't have a lot of control over the individual drums, they were played by another YouTuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/thehumantim), who used a electric kit and he just gave me the wav file straight from the output. (His bass drum compared to any ezdrummer library is just insane in terms of punchiness)

It's a Sonic The Hedgehog Metal Medley for YouTube -

0:00 - Chemical Plant Zone
1:05 - Lava Reef Zone
2:05 - Flying Battery Zone

Any observations or feedback is appreciated.

And just as a point of comparison to an attempt 4 months ago, sorry for butchering the song laugh.gif,

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/chemical-plant-zone

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 8 2013, 01:10 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:07 PM