Hi Cut Lo Cut
Phil66
Dec 6 2017, 09:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

Can someone explain the difference between hi/lo cut and bass/treble control?

Thanks

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2017, 10:21 PM
GMC:er
High or low cut is (like) super decreasing or eliminating the highest and lowest freq.s.

Bass/treble control sound like amp eq to me, is this about a gear or program you're using?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2017, 11:13 PM
Thanks for replying Mertay

In Helix, cabs and IRs have high cut and low cut, amps have bass and treble, I'm confused blink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2017, 02:06 AM
The "CUT" removes part of the signal. E.G. Bass Cut, removes part of the bass frequencies. Then the bass and trebble controls allow you boost bass and treble. Some cabs are a bit boomy/bass heavy and benefit from a pinch of bass cut even though you might later add some bass boost smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2017, 06:13 PM) *

In Helix, cabs and IRs have high cut and low cut, amps have bass and treble, I'm confused blink.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 7 2017, 08:43 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2017, 10:13 PM) *

Ah ok here's in use description,

Low-cut; Clean any sort of sub-bass rumble you hear with this (check with headphobes, play mutes powerchords even on clean to check such rumble). There are other uses for this but lets talk that later.

High-cut; You probably won't use this so much since you have ir's. But if your guitar tone ever turns out to be too bright/sharp for a backing track try it first before reaching to amp eq's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 7 2017, 08:56 AM
GMC Founder
Hi Phil - I am guessing this relates to my comment about too much bass in your REC sound.

Usually all you need to do is turn the bass knob down. And remember a nice and bassy sound which sounds large on its own - is usually way too bassy for a mix. Best is if you try to tweak your sound while the backing track is playing - you should notice how it's easier to balance the levels (backing vs guitar sound) when you turn the bass knob down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 7 2017, 10:00 AM
Thanks Mertay and Kris,

You are right Kris, it does relate to your comment, see I do listen wink.gif And thanks Mertay, you last comment helped a lot.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 19 2017, 11:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Low Cut

Hi cut

An amps mid control will be a fixed frequency Peak with a certain width (Q) The knob will affect the amound of boost or cut (depending on the amp design) this frequency peak gets.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Dec 19 2017, 11:52 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2017, 02:37 PM
So is turning a high cut knob fully clockwise, the same as turning a treble control fully anti-clockwise?

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 23 2017, 10:32 AM
Bump wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 23 2017, 12:01 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 19 2017, 01:37 PM) *
So is turning a high cut knob fully clockwise, the same as turning a treble control fully anti-clockwise?

Thanks smile.gif

Nope, high-cut only removes frequencys while treble increase or decreases them.

Best way to learn is by ear, always experiment with such knobs and try to remember by ear what they do to the sound.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 23 2017, 12:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 23 2017, 01:04 PM
Thanks,

I could hear a difference but I wanted to know technically what happens. That's me, I can't just accept things, like when I asked a friend what chord he was playing and he said "A7" I asked what the 7 meant, he just said it's the name of it. I can't do that, I have to know why rolleyes.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Dec 23 2017, 07:02 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 19 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Generally, yes. A high-cut filter, which is more commonly called a low pass filter, when turned all the way open, will allow the sound through unmodified.

Unlike a lowpass filter, there is no universally accepted definition of a "treble" control. On guitar amps with passive tone stacks, the treble control is often a low pass filter. So, yes, a treble control is often a low pass filter and should function the same. Tone stacks on guitar amps have various designs though, so this comment applies to many, but not all amps.

In any case, filters, especially on guitar amps, often color the sound slightly when all the way open. So, comparing a particular highcut control to a particular treble control may sound different when wide open.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 23 2017, 08:41 PM
Wow, now I'm confused. Why is a high cut filter called a low pass filter??????

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2017, 06:38 AM
This might help. Think of HIGH and LOW "Cut" as using scissors to actually "cut" either HIGH (treble) or LOW (Bass) sounds out of a given signal.

HIGH PASS and LOW PASS filters, let either HIGHS or LOWS "PASS" much like Gandolf stood on the bridge and said "none shall pass", if he was a "HIGH PASS" filter, only "HIGH" (treble) sound could get by him, if he was a "LOW PASS" filter, only LOW (BASS) sound could get by him smile.gif

Lord of the Rings Analogy! smile.gif

With Guitar amps, usually the bass and treble are at "fixed" frequency. They can't be changed. All you can do is choose how much or how little of each you want by turning each knob. The bass and treble frequency has been chosen by the builder. With a PARAMETRIC EQ, the user can determine what frequency (high/treble or low bass, or mid range) is being impacted and how much and how severe. The "Q" determines if the cut/boost is a large smile curve or a sharp spike type curve.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Kris has a point with bass. Usually if it sounds good by itself, it may be too bass heavy for a mix and won't "cut through". Usually you can "pre eq" (e.g. put in your equalization before your gain stage) your signal to reduce bass before it gets turned to mudd by the distortion / gain. Reducing bass on input like that can make a guitar sound "tight" where adding too much bass on input can result in a boomy sound that cuts through poorly. The easy thing to do is just turn down the bass on the amp head in your sim.

Todd

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 23 2017, 03:41 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 24 2017, 06:43 AM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Dec 24 2017, 04:34 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 23 2017, 07:41 PM) *

Does the age restriction at a pub mean you have to be above a certain age to get in? Or does it mean if you're below a certain age you're not permitted to enter? smile.gif.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:42 AM