Trouble With Sweeps Once Again
Ryan
Jun 7 2007, 01:55 AM
GMC:er
lol well i got no recording this time..but well im still haveing trouble muting..but its not all the muting this time..lol its not like last time..now its just going down...i cant mute the strings..when going down...going up...PFFFFFFFFFFFFF i can fly through that..and its amazinlgy fast and clean.........and the muting problem is mostly with 3 string sweeps..ppl say 3 strings are easier...YOU CAN KISS MY yea..........5 strings are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY EASIER..lol...well you get the picture..but its just going down..i cant mute doing 3 strings.im doing eveyrthign im suppose to..maybe my palm just isnt in the right spot......maybe i need to just find a different way to sweep..but idk..do i need to have my hand parallel with the strings??...or what..because i have my hand at more of an angle...i figured that was best for me..since my hands went straight to that starting out...but idk...anymore...please help!!!...sweeps are awesome!!!!!!!

and also note..i have pretty damn big hands....if that helps you guys out any...on help me..then yea!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jun 7 2007, 01:59 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 7 2007, 02:26 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
For practice on your technique, tie a sock around the top of your neck around the 3-5 frets, it will mute the strings for you, then you can develop a good technique for 3 string sweeps, then when you have that down, take the sock (or wahtever) off, and see if your muting problem are still there (alot of times its just your fretting hand that makes the noise, and its not the picking hand). so this way you can be SURE which hand the problem stems from, and concentrate on that technique next.

PS

When doing 3 string sweeps, i find that i BARELY move my wrist to mute the strings, its very subtle movement, make sure your plam isnt trying to mute individual strings, you should be able to rest it on the G String and mute the B String, and then all you have to do is move it a Tiny Tiny Bit when comin back up on your sweeps to play back on the G String

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 7 2007, 03:13 AM
so you should always be muting hte strings???...or what...because how i read it..it seems as though yoru telling me..mute the strings...and then pluck them.........i always thought..it was pluck...then mute..but idk..im confused..about my 3 strings right now.because i can do 5 string..a lot easier lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 7 2007, 03:49 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hey Uncreator,

I love your sig pictures, the changes keep me entertained smile.gif I have to say that these are the best yet!

(And the really amusing thing is that anyone reading this thread in a months time when you have changed your sig again won't know which pictures I mean laugh.gif )

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 7 2007, 04:40 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 6 2007, 10:13 PM) *
so you should always be muting hte strings???...or what...because how i read it..it seems as though yoru telling me..mute the strings...and then pluck them.........i always thought..it was pluck...then mute..but idk..im confused..about my 3 strings right now.because i can do 5 string..a lot easier lol

My bad, ill clerify it for you...

(Without a sock or whatever on your neck)

First say your playing this pretty basic sweeping shape.

|-------14-17-14----------14-17-14-----------14-17-17b(19)~~--
|----15-----------15----15-----------15----15-----------------------
|-14-----------------14------------------14---------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------

First you pick the C# Note, you move the pick down to the next note, RIGHT When you pick that note, your plam should barely touch the g-string, (enough to mute), and when you hit the last note of the sweep, all i have to do, and i think this works rather good, is just tilt my wrist a little so it lightly touches the b string, like i said before, very subtle movements, and when i come back up, my fretting hand mutes the strings when im comin up, just naturally i guess, but you said you got that covered so you dont have to worry about that. smile.gif Hope this helps

@Andrew: Thanks man, I like to change it according to what im listening to recently, or if a new album / single comes out. (Like when i did the Megadeth ones biggrin.gif) , glad you like the pictures, i had to take the time to scan the cover of my CD, which actually took awhile to get the picture centerd, so im glad someone besides me is also enjoying them! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sb81
Jun 8 2007, 06:57 PM
Please pardon my quick question, not trying to steal your thread but...

When sweep picking, are the strings suppose to ring clearly (one at a time I know) or is it okay if it sounds more like you are palm muting?

Mind sound like I'm palm muting, and I got too frustrated and put off that technique for now.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 9 2007, 05:30 PM
Well, it depends on the sound you want, some people let the note ring out a little to create a different vibe, Kirk Hammet does that in the solo for "The Unforgiven" i believe. and some people will mute them a bit to create another sound.

If you want them to sound smooth and clear, trying getting no feedback from any note, if you want a "Spacey" sound, and i dont htink that describes it well, but anyway, try letting them ring out for a bit.

But it sounds like you dont want the palm muting sound, first, always practice them slowly, at the speed where you can get the sound you want, and slowly speed them up (use a metronome!), if you find that the plam muting sound has come back, its probably the pressure your applying to the strings at the bridge, try relaxing your wrist a bit more, rest on a string your not using in the sweeps even, and watch your wrist as you sweep, see if you can catch yourself in the act! smile.gif

The only other thing it might be, is that you might not be putting enough pressure on the string with your fretting hand when sweep. so also check that, just completly analyze your technique as much as possible!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 10 2007, 07:36 AM
hmm...im still not able to mute correctly...THATS THE HARDEST EVER IN SWEEPS....is just the muting..i can pick it..fast...(well of course WHO CANT lol)..but i can actually get the notes to ring out...as fast as pavel......but i just cant mute them..correctly..sometimes even at slow speeds..sad.gif....i hate muting...ive always had aproblem with it...and i dont know why..even that lick of the day..Kris does..thats a metallica sound..telling you always to pick downwards..on the rythem for metallica..because thats there signature thingy or w/e...well it took em like a a week of practice..just to get the muting down for slow speeds sad.gif...i hate muting....its pain in the YEA....lol...but i guess ill keep on trying...1 day ill get them to be godly...NO DOUBTS biggrin.gif...just gotta keep on ..pushin on..tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:35 PM