2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Building My Own Effect!
kaznie_NL
Nov 8 2008, 10:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Guys,

I'm currently busy with a new project. On the internet I bought a "Kit" including all parts to build my very own "Muff Fuzz" which is going to be ( I hope tongue.gif ) an effect similar to the Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz.

I've already done some work on the pc board... It's tiny!!!! I also have a little question. The plate excists out of rows of holes if anyone knows what I mean tongue.gif . is it bad to let the solder get on two rows? I also think I don't have the most ideal solderthing... it's more then 100V, aren't there solderers from 12V and so?

Pictures coming later!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 8 2008, 12:12 PM
GMC:er
cool biggrin.gif Ik weet daar niks van:(Vet project!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 8 2008, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I can't help you with that problem, but i'm really waiting for those pics to see how you progress. smile.gif cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Nov 8 2008, 01:26 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
That's awesome smile.gif

Afraid I can't help you though sad.gif

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 8 2008, 02:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 8 2008, 10:55 AM) *
Hey Guys,

I'm currently busy with a new project. On the internet I bought a "Kit" including all parts to build my very own "Muff Fuzz" which is going to be ( I hope tongue.gif ) an effect similar to the Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz.

I've already done some work on the pc board... It's tiny!!!! I also have a little question. The plate excists out of rows of holes if anyone knows what I mean tongue.gif . is it bad to let the solder get on two rows? I also think I don't have the most ideal solderthing... it's more then 100V, aren't there solderers from 12V and so?

Pictures coming later!

Well.. it depends on whether or not these "rows" are connected before the soldering.. look under the PCB, and follow the lines.. if they are on the same line.. no problems.. if they are NOT on the same line.. then they are not supposed to touch eachother so YES.. this is BAD!

Keep in mind that you solder the components onto the PCB, and the solder itself will act as a connection between the component and the PCB.. if you solder two rows that are not supposed to be together you *could* have a shortcurcuit, and in worst case you "kill" some of your components.. best case is that it's simply not working or the sound is a lot different than expected..

I've just completed a kit myself, and i will post something about it as soon as possible, but bottom line.. ONLY solder where the solder is supposed to be.. wink.gif if you still make a mistake you can get some "remove-solder-tape-thingy" or a solder-pump..

the soldering iron is usually mentioned in watts.. so i guess you are talking about watts?? if so, 100w is VERY VERY MUCH, and this could be the reason it is so difficult.. its very hard to control 100w iron.. i have used a 15w to finish mine..

Good luck..
If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask me.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Nov 8 2008, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 8 2008, 02:17 PM
Instructor
I really don't have any experience with soldering
but I'm anxious to see the pictures! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 9 2008, 12:57 AM
Instructor
You mean soldering iron that runs on 12V?? I don't think there is one Kaz. You need a soldering pencil for more precise work. I would stay away from soldering guns when doing that kind of work.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 9 2008, 10:16 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a solder iron tongue.gif

And about the solder in the right lanes, I already have a nice answer for that tongue.gif don't let the solder get out of it's lane tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 10 2008, 11:30 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Nice project you got there Kaznie!! I don't have any soldering experience or "do it yourself" electronics one smile.gif Looking forward to some pictures and the end product and sound clips smile.gif Just take your work slowly don't rush it...Its a precise job smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 14 2008, 04:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It's not really working, probably some beginners mistakes. I'm a bit frustrated, so I'm letting it to rest for some days now tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
unmarshal'
Nov 15 2008, 09:00 AM
Awesome! I've been building some custom ones by hand in the past month or so. Starting with fuzz since the circuits are so simple. Those kits are way overpriced and if you buy the parts separately and the cases from guitar pedal parts, you can get away with a nice pedal for around 15$ USD.

Right now the circuit is prototyped on a breadboard but tomorrow I was planning on doing the wire wrapping and setting it in the case. Will upload pics when done.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard,
Fender 52 RI Telecaster,
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR,
Fender CIJ Mustang,
Taylor 714CE

Amps:
Fender Deluxe Reverb (not vintage)
PodXT

Wishlist (next purchases):
Orange Tiny Terror
Rickenbacker 330 possibly 12 string version

I dig the jangle

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2008, 01:10 PM
Instructor
How's the building going Kaz, can we see some pics of the project in action? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 18 2008, 12:13 PM
Hey Guys,

Pictures coming later!

Soldering is all about the size of the soldering bolt + the heat of it.
The voltage matters not.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 18 2008, 04:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 18 2008, 12:13 PM) *
Soldering is all about the size of the soldering bolt + the heat of it.
The voltage matters not.

I was wrong, meant Wattage!

And pictures... here they are. It's not really working... althought the LED is tongue.gif just to show it's quit hard:

PICTURE 1: http://img21.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=..._122_1020lo.JPG
PICTURE 2: http://img223.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...3_122_452lo.JPG
PICTURE 3: http://img174.imagevenue.com/img.php?image..._122_1032lo.JPG

And ow, the hand is my mom's tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 19 2008, 12:45 AM
Instructor
hey Kaz, I didn't know you were building a spider mate mellow.gif

Just kidding, nice to see that you can solder that stuff, I could never do that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 21 2008, 11:08 AM
Learning Roadie
i honestly think you find it so difficult because of the high wattage of your soldering iron..

But since it is not working at the moment, i would suggest that you go through all your connections with a multimeter.. with this multimeter you test everything, and you should be able to find the places that should be connected but aren't, and the places where there IS a connection but there shouldn't be..

What you specifically do is find a starting point.. could be the battery (btw.. remove the battery).. begin with the power (+) usually the red wire.. follow the wire to the end (looks like the AC connector).. Is there connection?

from the AC follow the other red wire to your PCB.. just test every connection on the board.. also test power (+) vs. ground (-), there should be no connection whatsoever here..

and one last thing.. i cannot see if you use any capacitors, but some of these has to be put in the correct way (there are plus and minus on some of these).. just like LEDs have to be put in the correct way.. Check to see if you did it right.

and one last thing.. from what i can see the first hole in your PCB (in any line) will be connected with the last hole.. which means you can have all your minus go on one row or line.. but be careful with the plus.. the components have to come in a "special" order, and i am not really sure they will do that if you just put them all on one line or row.. and you cannot really put one component on one line.. so you may have to "cut" the line on the PCB..

I hope you understand what i am trying to communicate.. especially the last part.. wink.gif
if you have too many problems with the PCB, you could always ditch it and ONLY use wires.. could even be easier in this case, but it really depends on how many components you have on your PCB

Good luck

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Nov 21 2008, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 21 2008, 12:41 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 18 2008, 04:08 PM) *
I was wrong, meant Wattage!

And pictures... here they are. It's not really working... althought the LED is tongue.gif just to show it's quit hard:

PICTURE 1: http://img21.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=..._122_1020lo.JPG
PICTURE 2: http://img223.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...3_122_452lo.JPG
PICTURE 3: http://img174.imagevenue.com/img.php?image..._122_1032lo.JPG

And ow, the hand is my mom's tongue.gif

Ouch, looks like you've killed that project tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 21 2008, 01:49 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't have the most ideal solderthing... it's more then 100V, aren't there solderers from 12V and so?

For this job you should use one max 20-25W, with a pointy tip.

I saw it wasn't working and the risk of using a 100W here is that you might have destroyed components by over heating them sad.gif
If you used a lower wattage one there might be one of the other reasons Zion mentioned, some components are one-way passage for the current and the striping show the direction.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 21 2008, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 21 2008, 01:49 PM) *
For this job you should use one max 20-25W, with a pointy tip.

I saw it wasn't working and the risk of using a 100W here is that you might have destroyed components by over heating them sad.gif
If you used a lower wattage one there might be one of the other reasons Zion mentioned, some components are one-way passage for the current and the striping show the direction.

It's near impossible to solder if you had no training.
It's not an easy subject.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 21 2008, 06:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I did some soldering, but just tiny bits tongue.gif ATM I have a better solder iron 30W. Does anyone know why the solder always get's on my solder tip and not on the copper??

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:26 AM