2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Budget Guitar Time!, The topic no one wants to weigh in on!
Hardtail
Jun 24 2007, 06:05 AM
GMC:er
Okay, here's the deal. I am gonna start giving my nephew basic beginner guitar lessons soon and the little rat needs something to learn on. I have played both acoustic and electric for about 15-16 years and have decided that an electric should be the first thing he learns since it is easier to learn on and will promote continuous playing.

(However I am personally very glad I learned acoustic before electric... more on that someday)

So I am looking for a guitar in the $100 US or below price range. This pretty much rules out decent brand name guitars unless they are cosmetically damaged. So far I have these ideas:

1.) Made in Mexico Fender (cosmetic damage)
2.) Custom built no name... (upon personal inspection only)
3.) Cheapo Wal-mart boxed guitars (YUCK!!!!!)

I need more ideas and help on this. If you have a well thrashed guitar you'd like to dump for less than $100 let me know as well! In my opinion... Cosmetics don't matter a bit. I'd rather have the guitar play okay and get a half-decent beginner range of sounds than get a pretty sparkly one that is made by blind monkeys.

Also, attach links if you have any. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Donations welcome! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Hardtail

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 24 2007, 08:20 PM
If you want to teach him bass im dumping a bass for 100 canadian ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
for budget guitars im going to say no to the walmart guitars because yes.. blind monkeys with cigarette addictions make those.
A few Brands with cheap guitars out there
Yamaha and Fender
At my local guitar shop they sell new fender strat squires for 115CDN each. they are great beginner guitars, if you want a dinky guitar you can get him a little 18 fretter for about 75. For just starting i would definatly recommend accustic. they are much harder to play and then when you finally move over into electric he will be even more thankful because all of a sudden guitar becomes easy!

Those are my recommendations, if your up for a fix up project im also selling a beaten up fender strat squire for $75, 20th addition its in good shape except for a few scratching and its lack of a connector for an amp ( all the peices are there.. it just needs to be fixed biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 24 2007, 08:24 PM
You should just get a Squier Strat. Good for beginners, but they dont last all that long....

--------------------

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jun 24 2007, 10:26 PM
Just avoid the budget Epiphone SG that comes with an amp and a few picks. The guitar body is made mostly out of plastic.

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 24 2007, 11:03 PM
My son just turned 5 and I bought him an Ibanez Mikro for his birthday. Just a little too big for him right now but he'll grow into it over the next year and be able to play it comfortably until he's 11 or 12. Dropped $130 on it and it's the hottest beginner axe that I've ever played. Looks a lot like the Vai models without the handle. Two humbuckers, Volume & Tone, 3 positions. The action was just right when we got it. I'm attaching a pic of my little Zakk Wylde loving Metal man. Sorry about the size of the pic....1st time trying this.

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Jun 25 2007, 03:50 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 25 2007, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
That's an awesome picture.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 25 2007, 01:25 AM
Haha thats such a sweet guitar for a first smile.gif it great for the price.. wish i had found something like that

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 25 2007, 02:01 AM
He had a loaner guitar a couple of months ago that was way too big but we got some pics with it strapped on him. I photo shopped him into a pic with Zakk Wylde on stage and it turned out really good.

--------------------
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jun 25 2007, 02:37 AM
My first electric was an el-cheapo SX Strat-clone. Nothing fancy, but adequate for learning on. As others have mentioned, if you don't want something that will fall apart immediately the Squiers aren't too bad.

I just hope you're not trying to squeeze an amp into that price...

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jun 25 2007, 04:10 AM
My first electric was a crap Yamaha mad.gif
but Squire is a good beginner brand

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jun 25 2007, 04:14 AM
you can buy a Squier Bullet Strat brand new for $99.

this one to be Exact

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/b...625%2e595%2e069

it's nothing special, but it is 10 times better than those First Act crap from Wal mart.

This post has been edited by Slammer: Jun 25 2007, 04:19 AM

+Quote Post
kebsis
Jun 25 2007, 04:17 AM
My first electric was a Schecter Omen, picked it up for either 200 or 300 US, can't remember which. It looked and sounded kickass but it fell out of tune all the time (I mean like after maybe 20 minutes of playing I'd need to retune) and the knobs started coming loose after a few months. It also had the loose wire jack problem that plagues so many cheap guitars.

But, I recently replaced all the hardware (tunin' machines, pickups, bridge) and turned it into one hell of a guitar for cheaper than picking up a new one.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jun 25 2007, 04:51 AM
I agree with starting on an acoustic. However much my nephew wants to learn the guitar he is also a very easily distracted youngster and I beleive the acoustic may frustrate him a bit too much.

He is borrowing my mother's Taylor Big Baby acoustic so I may start him with that. I just remember as a kid, my friends got electrics first and I got an acoustic and more than a decade later they can shred me like 10x over because the acoustic is very limited in what it can do comparatively... and trust me I have pushed acoustic to the limit having performed with one for 10 years. tongue.gif

I have a buddy who collects old Peavey guitars and he told me about some 22" or 23" scale Peavey's that are practically unbreakable and actually shred well. I may hunt Ebay for one of those for a while.

SDMF75: That guitar looks sweet! And your son looks ready to melt my face off! smile.gif I am gonna look into that model myself and see how cheap I can find it.

Hardtail

--------------------

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 25 2007, 03:49 PM
SDMF75: That guitar looks sweet! And your son looks ready to melt my face off! smile.gif I am gonna look into that model myself and see how cheap I can find it.

Hardtail
[/quote]

It's a rockin' little axe! He's picking up on things fairly quick music wise. The body of the guitar is just a little bit too big for him to hold it right when playing so he wants to lay it in his lap like Jeff Healy and try to play. I'm slowly breaking him of that by getting him to stand up or when he's sitting on his stool I had him letting it hang by his side while he strummed it. The cheapest I found that Mikro is 129.99. It sounds a lot better than any beginner guitar that I had.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jun 26 2007, 04:47 AM
SDMF75: What are you starting him off with lesson-wise? I'm gonna try to get some suggestions on GMC later about what to teach him for starters but thought I'd ask you now.

So I have done some MAJOR Research tonight and the Ibanez seems to be the best for him. The squiers, gibsons, and all other brand beginner guitars just have so much lower reviews than the Ibanez beginner guitars. The one I was particularly looking at was the Ibanez GRX20. I chose this in lieu of the Mikro because he is 10 years old and I think he should be able to reach everything on a full scale well enough. In a few years he'll be a teenager and have the same reach as me so i'm not worried about it.

The problem I ran into.... the wife gave me the old "Heck no, that's too expensive!" So I'm trying to figure something out. I'm gonna hit all the local guitar shops within an hour of my work this week and hopefully rumage up some beat up classic I can haggle down to below $100. LOL wish me luck!

I'll keep you posted with what I find.

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
lefty01
Jun 26 2007, 07:53 AM
Check out: www.rondomusic.com ya can't go wrong.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jun 26 2007, 03:13 PM
lefty01: You play a Rondo? I'm wondering how they sound, durability, etc.

I'm gonna hit a small music store after work today. I'll post what I find. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 26 2007, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jun 26 2007, 04:47 AM) *
SDMF75: What are you starting him off with lesson-wise? I'm gonna try to get some suggestions on GMC later about what to teach him for starters but thought I'd ask you now.
So I have done some MAJOR Research tonight and the Ibanez seems to be the best for him. The squiers, gibsons, and all other brand beginner guitars just have so much lower reviews than the Ibanez beginner guitars. The one I was particularly looking at was the Ibanez GRX20. I chose this in lieu of the Mikro because he is 10 years old and I think he should be able to reach everything on a full scale well enough. In a few years he'll be a teenager and have the same reach as me so i'm not worried about it.

The problem I ran into.... the wife gave me the old "Heck no, that's too expensive!" So I'm trying to figure something out. I'm gonna hit all the local guitar shops within an hour of my work this week and hopefully rumage up some beat up classic I can haggle down to below $100. LOL wish me luck!

I'll keep you posted with what I find.

Hardtail

I started with the notes of the strings and the notes on the E string. I'm trying to keep it fun for him. With your nephew being 10 he won't have the issues that my son has as far as his hands aren't quite big enough to form chords yet. I put 8's on his guitar but he still complains about the pain some. I don't gloss over it either....I tell him that I understand but it's part of the learning process and he'll get used to it. He knows the notes of all the strings and learned it pretty fast. I did make up something for him to remember it if he gets stumped. Eddie Alligator Drives Great Big Elephants and it worked like a charm. He does pretty well with the notes on the E also. I didn't bother with Sharps and Flats, just the main notes starting with F and stopping at E on the 12th fret. He's also picking on his high and fretting on the 5 & 6 fret and alternate picking. 5,6,5,6....down,up etc. I'll expand on it when he gets a good grasp of it to walk all the way up the neck. I tell him that it sounds like a spider sneaking up on another bug to eat it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrashOops
Jun 26 2007, 08:05 PM
I bought myself the GRX20 and it's an incredibly durable guitar. I'm sure your son will appreciate it aswell. it's alot better than anything else in it's price range. I'm more than happy with it

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jun 29 2007, 11:10 AM
Just get a squier starter kit. It comes with everything he needs.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:47 AM