My First Solo Recording..., Well, I gotta start somewhere! :)
Antipolitik
Sep 12 2008, 04:17 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I was practicing David Wallimans ZZ top lesson and I made a song after playing it for awhile.
Then I recorded my FIRST complete solo ever, well, for me it's a solo ... maybe it's more like
a melody for you shredders... hahahaha.

Anyway, the song is a new rock tune I am working on for my uncle who is gonna sing it.
So any feedback on the rhythm parts or anything appreciated, oh, and the solo... I need hints on that part! Thanks!

Guitar: POD X3 with my own patch. Mesa Boogie in Kefir in Cubase. (tuned in "Lian" tuning hehe halfstep down)
Bass: Ampeg SVX plugin
Vocals: Me in a condenser mic with compressor, delay and lil reverb.

Thanks David W. for a cool lesson!

NEW: With my vocals: [attachment=9938:Antipoli...ake_one_.mp3]

Lyrics in post below...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Antipolitik: Sep 13 2008, 09:41 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Sep 12 2008, 04:21 PM
Nice man, sounds good! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
edguy
Sep 12 2008, 04:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah that sound really good. I think you have a really professional sound like our instructors (drum tracks, guitar ).
I like your work so Thumbs up and Rock On

Edguy

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 12 2008, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (Young Guitarist @ Sep 12 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Nice man, sounds good! biggrin.gif

Thanks!

QUOTE (edguy @ Sep 12 2008, 05:25 PM) *
Yeah that sound really good. I think you have a really professional sound like our instructors (drum tracks, guitar ).
I like your work so Thumbs up and Rock On

Edguy

Thanks, yeah, I try to find a good professional sound... smile.gif But so many things to learn, rhythm guitar, bass, drum programming and mix, master, EQing... oh my God... and of course soloing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 12 2008, 05:54 PM
Instructor
this sounds really nice and powerful. Send the track with vocals when it's done.

good work

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Sep 12 2008, 06:18 PM
Instructor
well well well!!! awesome man! sounds really powerful! like a lot!
nice melodic solo at the end as well! wink.gif

as emir said, post the full track when it´s done!

cya antipolitik!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 12 2008, 06:23 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Sounds really good mate ! Can't wait to hear it with vocals! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 12 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone!

Full song with vocals... I had some time before working nightshift so I sang my version.
The "HAUW HAUW HAUW" maybe sounds a bit korny but I had to tribute ZZ TOP! They rule!
Enjoy this ZZ Top meets a bit metal or something hehe. Lyrics:

[attachment=9938:Antipoli...ake_one_.mp3]

Hauw hauw hauw! Hauw hauw hauw!

Well, you see I was born without any money
been walking like a dead man night and day yeah
You need to understand you're not a really good friend
when I ask for help you walk away oh yeah

I'm moving for the life that I need
don't hate or blame me it's not greed no!

Let's go! Yeah! Don't you hate me!
Hauw hauw hauw! Yeah!

20 years later I am a wealthy man oh yeah
money wherever I look hard to understand
I want more and more and more and even more
I don't care about the people being poor no!

Everybody come on! Yeah!
Don't you hate me!
Hauw! Hauw! Hauw! Yeah!

Hey, give me my guitar! Yeah, let's go!

ROK N ROLLLLLL

This post has been edited by Antipolitik: Sep 12 2008, 08:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 12 2008, 09:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Love your playing and voice smile.gif

If it were me I'd put the vocal a little more up front to really carry the song, but its really well played and recorded and that's a matter of taste.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 12 2008, 09:40 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 12 2008, 10:10 PM) *
Love your playing and voice smile.gif

If it were me I'd put the vocal a little more up front to really carry the song, but its really well played and recorded and that's a matter of taste.

Thanks for your feedback Andrew! I think I need to cut a little "hole" in the bass EQ somewhere around 2000-4000Khz
to make room for my vocals and also raise the vocal slide a bit wink.gif I'm at work now so I'll make a new mix tomorrow.
I will also cut out the noise at the start before my ZZ Top "hauw hauw hauw" smile.gif

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by Antipolitik: Sep 12 2008, 09:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 12 2008, 10:46 PM
Moderation Policy Director
EQ is a good plan(Bass shouldn't really be up that high anyway!), and a also a little mild compression can sit the bass a little further back as well if you get it right ..

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 13 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 12 2008, 11:46 PM) *
EQ is a good plan(Bass shouldn't really be up that high anyway!), and a also a little mild compression can sit the bass a little further back as well if you get it right ..

Yep Thanks! I will try that tomorrow as soon as I wake up. I feel the vocals need a lot of work too. *sigh* smile.gif
I think I "overdo" many parts but that's me ... I wanted to be more natural on this tune and not try to mimic
a singer I ain't... Like Urna, Hetfield or Zakk haha. I always try to sound so "heavy"... I need to relax more for sure.

Later!

Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Sep 13 2008, 06:31 AM
QUOTE (Antipolitik @ Sep 13 2008, 01:02 AM) *
Yep Thanks! I will try that tomorrow as soon as I wake up. I feel the vocals need a lot of work too. *sigh* smile.gif
I think I "overdo" many parts but that's me ... I wanted to be more natural on this tune and not try to mimic
a singer I ain't... Like Urna, Hetfield or Zakk haha. I always try to sound so "heavy"... I need to relax more for sure.

Later!

Jonas

Well, singing like thoose guys aint exactly easy to do with succes, you nail it though and im sure you will develop your own voice over time, great song as well...and nice riffage smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Alex87
Sep 13 2008, 06:42 AM
Very nice playing and singing smile.gif Would love to hear more of that, because you do it very well mate smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 13 2008, 01:20 PM
QUOTE (Siggum @ Sep 13 2008, 07:31 AM) *
Well, singing like thoose guys aint exactly easy to do with succes, you nail it though and im sure you will develop your own voice over time, great song as well...and nice riffage smile.gif

Thanks Siggum!

QUOTE (Alex87 @ Sep 13 2008, 07:42 AM) *
Very nice playing and singing smile.gif Would love to hear more of that, because you do it very well mate smile.gif

Thanks Alex, well, when you say it like that ... I'm gonna start on a new one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 13 2008, 03:30 PM
Instructor
Everything sounds KILLER!!!
I really love it! Sound quality is also very very good!
I really love you vocals too. What mic did you use exactly man?
How about the compressor, which one?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 13 2008, 09:35 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Sep 13 2008, 04:30 PM) *
Everything sounds KILLER!!!
I really love it! Sound quality is also very very good!
I really love you vocals too. What mic did you use exactly man?
How about the compressor, which one?

Well David, if it sounds good hats off to you, for inspiration smile.gif
(well, to me aswell practicing all the time of course hehe)

The mic is a Studio Projects B1 which I got from a friend after helping him out with his computer. smile.gif (thanks Jarmo)
Mic goes to a Behringer tube amp with phantom power, then to my 2-channel M-Audio soundcard.
I adjust the level on the preamp so it doesn't peak and do all compressing and EQ-ing in Cubase.
I often use Waves Rcomp and RVox 1st and 2nd in the chain on the vocal track.

It would be best if I put EQ before compressors I guess but I dont use much EQ on my vocals.
Just finetuning it after compressors... then I use, well it depends on the track, some wide chorus,
synced delay and some reverb. Sometimes it sounds better pretty dry but mixing vocals are pretty new
to me as well... and I try different ways all the time haha, it's like tweaking your guitar sound... always
looking for better tone wink.gif

The guitar patch I made myself for the POD X3, it's based on the Mesa Boogie amp (cab bypassed on POD)
and as I wrote I use Kefir to simulate the Mesa Boogie cab in Cubase. I always record two times, panned hard L/R
and route the 2 tracks to a group channel, where I have the Kefir plugin activated with one of Brohymns Mesa Impulse files. After Kefir I have EQ and a compressor to finetune the guitar. The patch is "dirty" as my playing so all good smile.gif

The solo (my first weeee) is centered and I use some EQ boost around 3-5Khz and reverb... that's it.

The drums is EZDrummer, I haven't used it much since I got it, because I liked Addictive Drums so much but
I think I'll give EZDrummer some more time. I've heard people getting really good drum sound from it.
Hopefully tho' my uncle who often sings on my songs is getting a drumkit soon, because that's the next step
in my 70 m2 garage. A complete studio... smile.gif No cars allowed! So hopefully the stiff beats I riff to will come alive in a
couple of month when we have real drums on the tracks... *sigh* Already getting headache about setting up
the mics and stuff and get a good drum recording ... oh my God...

I tend to overcompress all my songs... but I use less now so it's good. On the master channel I have Izotope Ozone
and sometimes a Waves maximizer. Check links below.

Gear:

Microphone: http://www.studioprojects.com/b1.html
Preamp: http://www.behringer.com/MIC2200/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Waves vocal compressors:
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=171
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=183

Waves mastering software:
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=255

Hope you find something useful David!

/Jonas

This post has been edited by Antipolitik: Sep 13 2008, 09:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 14 2008, 01:51 AM
Instructor
Very cool. It reminds me of Annihilator in some parts. When I heard music with no vocals I coudln't imagine this type of vocal but it actually fits great.

Well done

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Sep 17 2008, 08:39 PM
Instructor
This was too cool biggrin.gif Catchy and powerful

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:53 PM