Church Bell Guitar Trick!, Hells Bells Intro - AC/DC
Azzaboi
Oct 4 2010, 08:21 PM
GMC:er
How to make your guitar sound like a church bell!

This was the first guitar trick I ever learnt on a electric, probably the most useless and impractical, but also a lot of fun! Thought I'll share it tongue.gif

I use this trick for only one song, the intro to AC/DC - Hells Bells, then kick from that straight into playing.
I have yet to master playing the effect at the same time with the intro riff laugh.gif

Tune the strings into precise standard tuning--EADGBE.
Note: Messing with this trick too much can throw off tuning, so retune offen if needed.

Using a guitar with Humbuckers is best. Use bridge selector.
You don't want too much distortion, but your'll need some - I use the actual songs preset of 'Hell Bells' from my POD XT.
Experment with tone settings.

1) Place a thick pick (pointing down) inbetween the strings, above the top E, under the A, and above the D string, so it's weaved on the top three strings and just holding there by itself.

2) Gently take the top of the pick and twist across the front downwards, the A and D string will twist together a half rotation and the pick can rest in place with the edge slightly against the G String.

3) Shift the pick across the strings to desired location - I recommend using around the 12th fret. Think harmonics - primary nodes are located across all six strings at the fifth, seventh, 12th and 17th frets of the guitar.

4) Tap the twisted top string D very lightly over the pickup a few times and DONGGGG it sounds like a church bell ringing out!

5) Mute the strings carefully when removing the pick and jam on into the song!

Here's an example video I found of the guitar trick (might be helpful to get the idea):

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 4 2010, 09:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I saw this on YouTube a few days ago. tongue.gif Funny trick!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 5 2010, 10:22 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Ok cool smile.gif

Crossing two strings over a harmonic fret and then strum them also makes a bell like sound.

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Oct 11 2010, 01:15 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Wow, thanks for sharing! I was skeptical at first, and I must admit I thought it will be about simple harmonics, but this is just great! smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 13 2010, 05:15 PM
Instructor
That's a cool trick, thanks for sharing! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:12 AM