Recording Audio for Videos
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 17 2007, 09:38 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I just got a new DV video camera, and I am trying to figure the best way of recording the audio - how do you guys do it? I have a mixer that my guitar, microphone, PC etc feeds into, I want to get that audio onto the video.

As far as I can see, there are 4 options, but they all have flaws:

1. Use the built in mic - quality sucks
2. Connect a line to the mic-in socket from the mixer - doesn't work too well, because I am going from a line-level to a mic-level with DC offset problems causing weird pops an such
3. Find a piece of software that will capture the video from the camera, and the audio from the sound card - I have played with Adobe Premiere elements but can't get this to work - any other software that will do this?
4. Capture audio and video separately, then try to line them up - I tried this and ran into sync problems - I used Premiere for video and cubase for audio.

Can anyone make any other suggestions? Or tell me how you do it?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Pavel
Feb 17 2007, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Sony Vegas (6 or 7) will work good for that!
I use built-in mic for recording but i've seen Sony Vegas doing it by recording separate audio source and separate video source so i believe it combines it itself.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 18 2007, 12:34 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 17 2007, 04:38 PM) *
Sony Vegas (6 or 7) will work good for that!
I use built-in mic for recording but i've seen Sony Vegas doing it by recording separate audio source and separate video source so i believe it combines it itself.

Thanks Pavel, I'll check it out!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 18 2007, 01:43 AM
Instructor
I have a Sony camera and it has it's own VideoCapture software which comes with CD, and i can say it captures video and audio better than any other programs. I use that program to capture video and audio with built-in camera mic so i never had a problem - later i simply edit the video/audio in Sony Vegas. Well there is a bit of noise but you can never avoid with this type of recording.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Feb 18 2007, 01:44 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 19 2007, 03:42 PM
GMC Founder
1. Use the built in mic - quality sucks

This can sound good if you have a stereo microphone on the camera and if you isolate your room with lots of cuchons, blankets /etc.).

4. This is absolutely best for qaulity

Lining in directly to the camera with a pod is also a good option.

Kris smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 19 2007, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 19 2007, 09:42 AM) *
This can sound good if you have a stereo microphone on the camera and if you isolate your room with lots of cuchons, blankets /etc.).

4. This is absolutely best for qaulity
Lining in directly to the camera with a pod is also a good option.

Kris smile.gif

I guess that means you managed to get 4 to work sometime? Admittedly, I tried it with a webcam the first time, now I have a DV camera so maybe that will work better.

Also using your pod (I have an XTL), which output do you use, and are you going into a Mic-in on your camera?

Thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 19 2007, 04:19 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 19 2007, 04:13 PM) *
I guess that means you managed to get 4 to work sometime? Admittedly, I tried it with a webcam the first time, now I have a DV camera so maybe that will work better.
Thanks!

The best is if you have prerecorded audio, and play "playback"/fake to that - then you can add the audio when editing.

Also using your pod (I have an XTL), which output do you use, and are you going into a Mic-in on your camera?

analog output and mic-in on camera

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 19 2007, 04:21 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 19 2007, 10:19 AM) *
The best is if you have prerecorded audio, and play "playback"/fake to that - then you can add the audio when editing.
analog output and mic-in on camera

Thanks - I'll do some more experimenting!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 20 2007, 07:38 PM
Rock Instructor
i have the same equipment you have

and i plug the line 6 from the phones slot to the mic input on the dv camera works good for me

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 21 2007, 04:27 AM
QUOTE (Rockwouldbe @ Feb 20 2007, 01:38 PM) *
i have the same equipment you have

and i plug the line 6 from the phones slot to the mic input on the dv camera works good for me

Thanks - yes, the audio on your lessons is pretty good quality, I'll try that as well wink.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 3 2007, 05:07 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 20 2007, 10:27 PM) *
Thanks - yes, the audio on your lessons is pretty good quality, I'll try that as well wink.gif

I finally got the cables and went from my headphone out to the mic in of my camera - bingo!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Mar 6 2007, 02:10 AM
GMC:er
I know a guy that did a dynamite one by matching up his video with his audio track. I have not had good luck with this myself, its essentially "lip syncing " to your self. blink.gif I have a sony handicam that burns direct to DVD.
What works great for me, sound wise, is the cheapo webcam, with the sound direct from my board going into line in on my souncard -but that yeilds weak video quality huh.gif
My camcorder has a built in surround sound mic, still sucks, there is no auxillary mic input unsure.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:54 AM