4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Home Stereo Used With Guitar
Emir Hot
Feb 25 2009, 08:31 PM
Instructor
He is right but you will still need a sound card, monitors and Guitar Rig if you want to record smile.gif If you want to record with that amp then you don't need Guitar Rig but a microphone. Also you would need to tell neighbours to get ready for some serious noise smile.gif In order to get a good sound from an amp you need to play it quite loud.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roadside
Feb 25 2009, 08:53 PM
GMC:er
Living in the cellar:) But afaik they are better at low volumes, too..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 25 2009, 09:10 PM
Well to me this is how I look at it:

Marshall JVM 215c:
Good
- Top notch sound (mono)
- Well rounded capabilities
- Looping
- Portable (for lugging around)
- Can get loud (but do you really need to?)
Bad
- Recording Capabilities? (not sure... doesn't look like it tho)
- Expensive
- Probably will require maintenance in future (tube amps...)

Sound Card (or Podxt)/Studio Monitors/Guitar Rig:
Good
- Overwhelming amount of effects/amp/capabilities (obviously more than marshall)
- Studio Recording Capabilities
- Decent Sound (Stereo)
- Affordable biggrin.gif (Emir's setup would run you around 500-600...)

Bad
- Can't get really loud
- Certain points will cut out (based on what Ivan was talking about)
- Not really portable (compared to an amp)

For my uses.. i think this would be fine... its not like i'm gonna ever be gigging.

Do you guys know if Guitar Rig works with the podxt? I mean can i still try out the effects and what not?

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 25 2009, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
Roadside
Feb 25 2009, 09:27 PM
But did you ever play on such a Marshall? I mean it´s realy just MINDBLOWING!

I can´t imagine that I´ll get such a sound with something that models amps. But I´m not too experienced in this. My way of thinkin´ is based on what I´ve heard.

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 25 2009, 10:20 PM
No never played, but i've heard what they sound like biggrin.gif...

Again... for me i like having the extra cash to buy other stuff... and the only thing i really expect out of my Studio Monitors is no/low noise... basically i want decent cleans... at least better than what i get out of my frontman lol.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 26 2009, 03:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Roadside @ Feb 25 2009, 09:27 PM) *
But did you ever play on such a Marshall? I mean it´s realy just MINDBLOWING!

I can´t imagine that I´ll get such a sound with something that models amps. But I´m not too experienced in this. My way of thinkin´ is based on what I´ve heard.

Here's my view on the whole thing mate:

I have Marshall JCM 2000 TSL601 for live use. It's a decent and flexible all tube amp with 3 channels that has a DI Out (which I never use at home). It can be played at home, and I use it for practice before gigs, and for occasional playing, but the sound is not that good, unless you crank it hard. And since I've played almost 10 years now here in the apartment, my neighbours got used to hearing all that terrible moaning and scretching, so I play pretty loud, I crank the tubes so I get at least some dynamics out of them, but it's not enough really - so for any serious practicing I have to go into the studio, and carry my amp there, so I can make the sound I want for gigs. The settings change quite a bit when you crank it so you have to find new sound all together, tweak the EQ, balance the volume on channels, even reverb and all my effects act a bit differently on higher volume.

For home recording, I have EMU 1212m system, very similar to that 1616m, except 1212m doesn't have the external dock with preamps and a bit less features (less I/O support). I had to get separate mic preamp and DI box. I use Guitar Rig at the moment for all recording purposes on the PC, because it's easy and plug and play, and it is a hassle for me to turn on the amp and let it warm up every time I wanna record something. Yes the sound is better, but it's a hassle, and Guitar Rig is not that bad - you can make a preset that sounds very decent for home recording, so practically tube amp is a bit of a overkill for plug&play home recording purposes if you ask me. If I had some flexible tube preamp like Marshall JMP1 I would possibly use it more often to get the Marshall sound right, but the use of the whole amp is an overkill IMO, unless you really want to record Marshall sound and nothing else. With Guitar Rig I can have all kinds of sounds on a very decent level.

I agree that both things should be bought for different purposes, but what is the most important thing when spending you hard earned money is the USE of that gear. So think hard, and try to imagine if you would use the amp that often for live use and studio playing so you really need it. Also imagine if you really use that often a proper sound card+guitar rig+monitors system for audio recording. What you will use more often is I think what you should consider getting mate.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 26 2009, 03:33 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 26 2009, 05:54 PM
Instructor
I agree with Ivan here 100%.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Roadside
Feb 26 2009, 06:22 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 26 2009, 03:29 PM) *
Here's my view on the whole thing mate:

I have Marshall JCM 2000 TSL601 for live use. It's a decent and flexible all tube amp with 3 channels that has a DI Out (which I never use at home). It can be played at home, and I use it for practice before gigs, and for occasional playing, but the sound is not that good, unless you crank it hard. And since I've played almost 10 years now here in the apartment, my neighbours got used to hearing all that terrible moaning and scretching, so I play pretty loud, I crank the tubes so I get at least some dynamics out of them, but it's not enough really - so for any serious practicing I have to go into the studio, and carry my amp there, so I can make the sound I want for gigs. The settings change quite a bit when you crank it so you have to find new sound all together, tweak the EQ, balance the volume on channels, even reverb and all my effects act a bit differently on higher volume.

For home recording, I have EMU 1212m system, very similar to that 1616m, except 1212m doesn't have the external dock with preamps and a bit less features (less I/O support). I had to get separate mic preamp and DI box. I use Guitar Rig at the moment for all recording purposes on the PC, because it's easy and plug and play, and it is a hassle for me to turn on the amp and let it warm up every time I wanna record something. Yes the sound is better, but it's a hassle, and Guitar Rig is not that bad - you can make a preset that sounds very decent for home recording, so practically tube amp is a bit of a overkill for plug&play home recording purposes if you ask me. If I had some flexible tube preamp like Marshall JMP1 I would possibly use it more often to get the Marshall sound right, but the use of the whole amp is an overkill IMO, unless you really want to record Marshall sound and nothing else. With Guitar Rig I can have all kinds of sounds on a very decent level.

I agree that both things should be bought for different purposes, but what is the most important thing when spending you hard earned money is the USE of that gear. So think hard, and try to imagine if you would use the amp that often for live use and studio playing so you really need it. Also imagine if you really use that often a proper sound card+guitar rig+monitors system for audio recording. What you will use more often is I think what you should consider getting mate.

You´re right. Thanks again for the work you put into your posts. I didn´t record often until now, ´cause I´m playing a lot with friends of mine, who can give me the critique or the support I need to notice what´s wrong with my playing! So first of all I´ll get the tubeamp. And then I´ll save money for some months and see what can be done to record the tubeampsound in its best way smile.gif

I hope everything will work fine, I´m excited laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 26 2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor
No prob mate, we're here to help. Glad to hear you are getting tube amp, and let us know what you got! Buying a new amp is always cool! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roadside
Feb 26 2009, 08:17 PM
I´ll have a small audition with Zakk at 9 o´clock - We´ll see if he has got some advices after buying the stack smile.gif

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 27 2009, 05:12 AM
Hehe... you're going the amp way.. i'm going w/ studio monitors... I'm getting the KRK RP6 pair... they also come with mic, cables, stands... 400 US bones.

So do you guys know if Guitar Rig would work with this setup? Connecting Studio Monitors -> PodXTL USB-> Computer

Or will i need to buy a Sound Card to use Guitar Rig? (was thinking 1212m)

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 27 2009, 05:12 AM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 27 2009, 06:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 27 2009, 04:12 AM) *
Hehe... you're going the amp way.. i'm going w/ studio monitors... I'm getting the KRK RP6 pair... they also come with mic, cables, stands... 400 US bones.

So do you guys know if Guitar Rig would work with this setup? Connecting Studio Monitors -> PodXTL USB-> Computer

Or will i need to buy a Sound Card to use Guitar Rig? (was thinking 1212m)

1212 will take care of the input latency and good sound output while the power of your computer processor is used for Guitar Rig real time processing. You don't need POD for this setup but you can still use it if you like its sounds.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Roadside
Feb 27 2009, 10:21 AM
As far as I know, about the XT and GR3 you just need one of these things. Especially if you play with Monitors. The POD might be more useful in front of an amp, because you can´t have a software running in front of your amp afaik:D

anyway good luck and have fun with your new gear smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 27 2009, 03:04 PM
Instructor
As Emir said 1212m will take care of the latency and ensure that you hear what you play in real time. Also sound quality will be better. But Guitar Rig is using CPU for processing. Any dual core will do the job nicely. However when I transferred from Toneport UX1 to 1212m card, I did notice improvement in Guitar Rig performance. I can't say for sure if this has something to do with the new card, but it definitely feels like it takes a lot less to drive the Guitar Rig. I couldn't even use all the presets before if they had too many components, and now I can use all of them no problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 28 2009, 08:42 AM
Cool deal... thanks for the input. Initially i just want to try guitar rig.. w/o a soundcard... my computer is a beast... so i think it will handle it just fine (processing wise).

Maybe later down the road ill get a soundcard.

+Quote Post
draftzero
Mar 11 2009, 06:01 AM
Just got my KRK Rokit 6 Pair... it also came with some additional accessories, 2 mics, cables, stands and headphones. $400 +shipping

I AM SO HAPPY WITH IT! It sounds so much better than what i had before (frontman 15)

clears come in crystal w/o any hiss or noise...

only thing i don't like about em is that you have to turn em off manually (each one)... i remedied this by hooking everything up to a powerswitch...

Thanks to everyone for there inputs... especially you IVAN THANKS!

+Quote Post
Roadside
Mar 11 2009, 06:13 AM
Hey Draft, congrats so you finaly got there too smile.gif Enjoy your new gear!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 11 2009, 09:13 AM
Instructor
Cool man, now you're ready to rock smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 11 2009, 09:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (draftzero @ Mar 11 2009, 06:01 AM) *
Just got my KRK Rokit 6 Pair... it also came with some additional accessories, 2 mics, cables, stands and headphones. $400 +shipping

I AM SO HAPPY WITH IT! It sounds so much better than what i had before (frontman 15)

clears come in crystal w/o any hiss or noise...

only thing i don't like about em is that you have to turn em off manually (each one)... i remedied this by hooking everything up to a powerswitch...

Thanks to everyone for there inputs... especially you IVAN THANKS!

That's a great piece of gear man!! Glad you got it!! May it serve you well! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
helo92
Mar 11 2009, 10:01 PM
Is it possible to record with PODxt without a soundcard??

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:53 AM