Taylor Solid Body Electric
Maximus
Dec 1 2007, 05:44 PM
GMC:er
So there I was, just moments away from buying the Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, when I see the new Taylor Solid Body Custom . This is a brand new realease from Taylor and their first SB electric. The thing is beautiful and it plays like a dream. I am now completely torn. I have always wanted an LP but I'm thinking this thing may be the way to go since it is the debut model of a very respected guitar builder. I'm thinking resale here. I've include a link and a pic. Opinions Anyone?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 1 2007, 06:29 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think it's hard to call Maximus. The LP won't lose money in the medium term (it will lose some initially but should quickly recover) but it will take some years before you get all your money back plus some. There's a lot of LPs out there and to make money you need to have something special in terms of outstanding quality, a one off colour/finish, a rare/old one or one that's been pre-owned by a famous name. You won't lose money but ...

The Taylor is also a beautiful guitar and very well made and finished. What I'm not sure on is the initial depreciation hit - I guess it's not going to be large simply because Taylor are such a good brand. If that's is the case, and if Taylor don't make too many then I think that the Taylor may be worth more as an investment. BUT - and there's always a but - if it doesn't sell/is unpopular then the value in the short/medium term will fall.

Now I would say that you should buy the best that you can for an investment. In the medium/long term that's an LP Custom, imho; it will get you a better return then a Standard. Similarly with the Taylor. Collectors don't generally play guitars but like the thing to have all the bells and whistles. However if you want a guitar to play then nevermind the investment, buy the one you like smile.gif.

In short - safe money over many years - Gibson. Bit of a risk but may get you more if your luck is in - Taylor. If you want a guitar to play then get the one you want.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Dec 1 2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks Tony. My primary goal is to get a great guitar that I will play. The investment side of it is secondary. I would probably never sell it anyway. I guess the reason I am considering the Taylor is that it is a more unique piece. Thanks again for the input.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Dec 1 2007, 09:29 PM
Man i just want to say the body on that guitar is like amazing biggrin.gif !!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Dec 1 2007, 09:36 PM
Nice looking finish on that guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 1 2007, 09:38 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Might also be worth looking at the Taylor T5 then Maximus - another great and , imo, beautiful guitar and very versatile as well smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Dec 1 2007, 09:55 PM
I am really looking for a traditional solid body. If I could, I would also like to have a T5 but I can't convince the wife that I need 2 expensive guitars at the same time. If anybody has any suggestions on how to handle her effectively, I would be very impressed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 2 2007, 03:13 AM
Taylor goes Solid Body! Oh no... well... I recommend not being the first on the block to jump into Taylors new venture. It will either be hit or miss on its future value. BUT, if you like the way it plays and sounds and you feel its price warrants it then don't worry about future value and buy it.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 5 2007, 04:46 AM
Learning Roadie
I was quite interested when I learned that Taylor was making solid bodies. Their acoustics are among the best in the business and I bet their solids will be pretty damn good too.

Also, collings (makes amazing acoustics) has recently started making electrics, but they're ridiculously expensive.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Dec 5 2007, 05:52 AM
That looks like a Koa wood cap - what an amazing grain! I have been lusting after the new Koa acoustics for a while - they are somewhat pricey...
If it were me Maximus I would go for this Taylor and get the LP later, who knows - in years to come this guitar may well have the equivalent reputation of the '59 LP and that would be fun to own. ( I know, I know, probably not - but fun to fantasise!)
Faint heart never a fair maid won. laugh.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Maximus
Dec 8 2007, 06:24 AM
Here's Guitar World Magazine's review of the Taylor Solid Body.

Guitar World Review

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 8 2007, 06:33 AM
That thing looks awesome.

It did get the GW Platinum reward also.

This post has been edited by Unleash-The-Shred: Dec 8 2007, 06:33 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 8 2007, 06:42 AM
Learning Roadie
I really want a standard now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Dec 8 2007, 07:57 AM
I played the standard at a local shop yesterday. This is a solid and very well made guitar. It plays very smooth and really delivers a wide range of tones. I'ts got the full size humbuckers and can produce a heavier sound than the Classic or the Custom. It also costs about 500 dollars less than the Custom. The Taylor designed neck joint is as tight as it can get, giving it the sustain of a set neck with the benefit of being able to be replaced if tragedy should strike. I have called around and the Customs have sold as soon as they hit the floor and people are putting money down to hold the next several that come in. Taylor is making their distributors buy a set of all three models at a time so this is slowing down delivery of the customs. Most stores want to move all three before they order the next set. I guess they go into wider release in January so I may wait until then to decide which way I will go. I think a big part of the fun of getting a new guitar is doing the research and playing a diverse range of products just waiting for that one to finally speak to you and say "buy me".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 8 2007, 10:56 PM
Instructor
I've read some reviews about the Taylor saying that it's a great guitar! But personally I would probably buy the Gibson LP. How much does the Taylor cost?

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Maximus
Dec 8 2007, 11:49 PM
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Dec 8 2007, 03:56 PM) *
I've read some reviews about the Taylor saying that it's a great guitar! But personally I would probably buy the Gibson LP. How much does the Taylor cost?

2299.00 American

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 9 2007, 04:38 AM
QUOTE (Maximus @ Dec 8 2007, 05:49 PM) *
2299.00 American

I would rather get a Parker at that price, but then again I'd have to play the Taylor first. I used to be a big fan of their acoustics and wanted one forever until I picked up a Martin. Now my buddy who owns 4 Taylors has heard my Martin and has switched over. Taylors are well known for creating unique tones and I'm sure their Electric will be no different but I am always apprehensive about a companies first effort to make something outside their norm.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 10 2007, 09:07 PM
I think if the Martin solidbody fails then it will be worth more because it will become a niche market and there will be people searching for these things in great condition and pay handsomely for it.

For instance:

The jackson SLSMG is a high end player guitar (not a high end guitar in general), and typically resells at about 60% of it's value. In 04, Musicians Friend ran these guitars with a see thru colored finish with a Flamed Maple top. It didn't catch on, but recently on ebay they've been selling for about 85% of their initial price. Recouping 85% on 3 years is pretty good as far as guitars go IMO.

Just an example of something failing then still collecting a decent return.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:14 PM