3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
How Long Do You Practice?
Chris Evans
Jul 27 2008, 07:42 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I try and play most days, always in the evening either because of work or family, at least an hour, but normally once I get into something I play for 3-4hours, usually have at least an evening off a week, I find it helps especially if working on something tricky to give myself a break now and then.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jul 27 2008, 08:02 AM
GMC:er
I am in my truck all day and night when I am on work tour of 3-4 weeks. If i have had a very long day I will dive into bed without practicing, otherwise I try to get in at least 1 hour a night, and more if I can.

For example, this is a slow weekend for me, I practiced 3 hours tonight, and probably the same tomorrow. Practicing for me right now consists of playing along with CDs and radio, picking out the key and scales and then working it on the whole fretboard. I'm trying to get totally comfortable with all pentatonic and diatonic boxes in all positions.

I can't believe how much I've learned in 3 months. With enough practice, we all have NO limits.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jul 27 2008, 08:04 AM
the point is, I got to actually well, learn to practise:O Like doing excersises.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jul 27 2008, 08:36 AM
Instructor
I normally play 4 hours a day or so. Sometimes on the weekends though i hit the 10 hour mark. It really depends if i am into something new I learned or am writing a song.

Generally speaking though guitar is my life.

There have been times in the past where i actually played too long and ended up being down for a couple days do to muscle strain. That is when you know its too much.

I think the longest guitar playing binge i was on was like 18 hours, I played all day from 6 in the morning till about 7 at night then went and played bar gig.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 27 2008, 09:04 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I aim for an hour a day, but with my work, last week I was so tired I couldn't play anymore tongue.gif

How do you manage to play ten hours a day? I wouldn't know what to play... That's a problem of mine, I don't know names of songs, but I do recognize them tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Jul 27 2008, 09:58 AM
atm i do 2 to 3 hours a day, on weekends sometimes a bit more.

every fifth day i take a break to let the exercises sink in.

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 27 2008, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
No I am not a full shredder yet, I have been playing for only a year. But in my terms its like 3-4 years. I can play many intermediate songs though and some advanced solos which are epic smile.gif
[/quote]

You konw what they say.

It is not how many years you have played but how many hours

I think it was Pavel who said that

Then i am like you Kaznie when i have played i while i dont know what to play anymore so therfore my sessions dont become more then 5 hours even if i have the sparetime

This post has been edited by superize: Jul 27 2008, 10:04 AM

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ttask
Jul 27 2008, 10:11 AM
I try to play at least 2 hours a day for now, but sometimes I just can't (too much work or too tired when I'm back home). I really enjoy every single second (even my warmup exercises), and I am very motivated. Actually, I'll have a lesson with Paul Gilbert in November when he comes to Paris and I suck, so I have to work really hard until then. It's cool because it gives me a kind of "deadline", that's even more motivating.

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Jul 27 2008, 10:22 AM
QUOTE (Ttask @ Jul 27 2008, 11:11 AM) *
I try to play at least 2 hours a day for now, but sometimes I just can't (too much work or too tired when I'm back home). I really enjoy every single second (even my warmup exercises), and I am very motivated. Actually, I'll have a lesson with Paul Gilbert in November when he comes to Paris and I suck, so I have to work really hard until then. It's cool because it gives me a kind of "deadline", that's even more motivating.

I'm SO jealous! wink.gif

i don't think i could play anything technically advanced in front of the great paul gilbert. i'd just sit there and strum e minor probably hehe

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
Ognjen Protic
Jul 27 2008, 11:03 AM
Instructor
The older I got, the less I practice... rolleyes.gif Sometimes I don't touch guitar whole day, and sometimes when I record or something, it's hours long playin'! tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 27 2008, 11:07 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I have no fixed amount of playing time per day, some days I play several hours, others I play less.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Jul 27 2008, 11:22 AM
Well it depends on the day, sometimes I play for 3 or 4 hours, somedays 1 hour, and other days I haven't got no time at all T_T

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 27 2008, 11:29 AM
Lets go fishing!
Mininum of 2 , usually 3 hours a day. We are talking very focused practice here, I have felt the most benifit from this type of practing smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 27 2008, 01:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Ttask @ Jul 27 2008, 11:11 AM) *
... Actually, I'll have a lesson with Paul Gilbert in November when he comes to Paris ...

Wow! That's just awesome! Lucky you!

I guess my average is 2 hours per day, some days 1, some days 3... but for some reason I seem to get more time in winter although I'm on vacation now! Too much outdoors time! laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Jul 27 2008, 01:32 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 27 2008, 01:15 PM) *
Wow! That's just awesome! Lucky you!

I guess my average is 2 hours per day, some days 1, some days 3... but for some reason I seem to get more time in winter although I'm on vacation now! Too much outdoors time! laugh.gif

Yeah, same here, 2-3 hours average, sometimes not at all... We have such nice weathers now ( and I'm on vacation biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ) so I don't like to be sitting inside. In winter I can sit around the house all day, and It's a great feeling just to sit at home, play some winter blues, and look outside from the window and watch how the snow keeps falling smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Chief Brody
Jul 28 2008, 01:14 AM
I used to get really hung up on how many hours a day i'd spend practicing, and feel awful whenever i was either too tired/drunk/ill etc to play on a particular day.

This adversely affected my enthusiasm and now i intentionally put all clocks away before i practice. I just play until i feel like stopping.

Funnily enough this tactic has increased the amount of time i spend playing guitar overall and improved my practicing because now i play something until i'm satisfied with the results rather than play to a deadline and think "hmm it's been 15 minutes, now i should move on to something else".

+Quote Post
swingline
Jul 28 2008, 01:24 AM
QUOTE (Chief Brody @ Jul 27 2008, 05:14 PM) *
I used to get really hung up on how many hours a day i'd spend practicing, and feel awful whenever i was either too tired/drunk/ill etc to play on a particular day.

This adversely affected my enthusiasm and now i intentionally put all clocks away before i practice. I just play until i feel like stopping.

Funnily enough this tactic has increased the amount of time i spend playing guitar overall and improved my practicing because now i play something until i'm satisfied with the results rather than play to a deadline and think "hmm it's been 15 minutes, now i should move on to something else".

That is a very good outlook I'm going to try that way.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 28 2008, 01:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
These last days it's been TOO hot to be outside. So instead, I've been spending 4+ hours a day in front of my PC with a glass if ice tea, a talbe fan, my guitar and some good lessons =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 28 2008, 06:31 AM
QUOTE (Canis @ Jul 27 2008, 08:57 PM) *
These last days it's been TOO hot to be outside. So instead, I've been spending 4+ hours a day in front of my PC with a glass if ice tea, a talbe fan, my guitar and some good lessons =)

Ya since it is hot outside I spend my time in front of the A/C practicing drinking gatoraid haha

i spend 3 hours here 1 hour on scales 1 hour on covers 1 1/2 hours on improv 1 1/2 hours on making material 1 hour on musical study while playing guitar and 1 hour learning techniques. Every few days, I spend a 1/2 playing in the dark too which is so my brain builds reflexes to find the frets on the neck smile.gif

and some other secret training regiments wink.gif

This post has been edited by sigma7: Jul 28 2008, 06:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
wollace03
Jul 28 2008, 07:11 AM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 26 2008, 08:37 PM) *
Hey gmc, I was wondering how long you guys play on an average day? I may be crazy but I play like 10 hours a day at least. I am not lying haha, the strat never comes off of me. I dont no if that is normal. huh.gif

How long do you play on the average day? smile.gif

you are lucky guys!!
besides work and my 2 kids i try to use every free minute playing guitar... so i guess thats about 1 to 3 hours an 3 to 4 days a week mostly late at night when everyone is asleep.

so i guess i would really love to play 10 hours a day although it seems a little much if you want to have a social life too...

keep on rocking!!! cool.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:45 PM