Megadeth's Thirteen - What Do You Think ?
Ben Higgins
Dec 30 2011, 10:56 AM
Instructor
So guys, Thirteen.. sorry, Th1rt3en has been out for a while now. Now that we've all had time to listen to it, what do you think ?

Sudden Death is one of the best opening songs on a Megadeth album for years.. the one note riffing is classic Mustaine ! I also prefer the drier, more natural production of this album because it makes them feel real again.. it also brings to mind the dry guitar chug of the Peace Sells era..

Also, part way through Public Enemy Number 1 you realise something: Ellefson's back ! The bass lines that didn't come through on crappy computer monitors suddenly transform this previously average song into a butt kicking driving song ! cool.gif

Of course, the Friedman era songs Millenium of the Blind and New World Order are top of the pile as well.. some of the songs are not so hot - Deadly Nightshade, Wrecker, Fast Lane, Whose Life Is it Anyway.. but as a whole album, it feels alive and it's great to have them back.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2011, 03:36 PM
Instructor
I haven't listened to the album yet but I'll give it a try after this review! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 30 2011, 03:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 30 2011, 02:36 PM) *
I haven't listened to the album yet but I'll give it a try after this review! wink.gif

Do it man, it's great stuff ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2011, 05:22 PM
Instructor
I've listened the album, it's quite good. I'm not an expert, but I like it smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bluelineman
Dec 31 2011, 04:40 AM
GMC:er
I haven't heard the whole thing, but from the few examples I've heard it doesn't sound as hard as before. Not like Rust in Peace/Peace Sells era stuff. Still good stuff, I'll be a fan of theirs forever.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 31 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bluelineman @ Dec 31 2011, 03:40 AM) *
I haven't heard the whole thing, but from the few examples I've heard it doesn't sound as hard as before. Not like Rust in Peace/Peace Sells era stuff. Still good stuff, I'll be a fan of theirs forever.

True, I don't think they'll ever recapture the intensity they had in the good old days but the album seems a lot less sterile than Endgame and even United Abominations smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 1 2012, 09:35 PM
Instructor
I like it, it does have that oldspark to it, and I think definitely Ellefson's presence has something to it.

New world order sounds great. Didn't they have that one as a demo before?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 1 2012, 10:05 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 1 2012, 08:35 PM) *
I like it, it does have that oldspark to it, and I think definitely Ellefson's presence has something to it.

New world order sounds great. Didn't they have that one as a demo before?

yes in Youthanasia!, i like the album, expect maybe fast lane and guns,drugs and money, another thing i don't like it's the "structure", most of the song are build pretty much under the same formula IMO and it makes them sound a bit reptitive, also i don't enjoy some solos, is not that they were sloppy or something, imo they just don't fit some songs (can't remember the songs.....), another that i don't enjoy in megadeth, since Endgame, is the guitars distorcion, it sounds kind of plastic to me.
BUT i also love the album in spite of what i just said, Sudden Death and Public Enemy Nº1 make a badass soundtrack for a fighting scene IMO and 13, goddamn 13 is one of those songs, perfects for ending a career "hope that doesn't happen, wanna see them live again tongue.gif)" if i had to compare this album with another megadeth's album, i would say that, it sound like a heavy UA.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 2 2012, 09:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 1 2012, 09:05 PM) *
another that i don't enjoy in megadeth, since Endgame, is the guitars distorcion, it sounds kind of plastic to me.

I think the most evil guitar sound Megadeth ever had was on one solitary single.. why did they never record a whole album like this ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odduP_ogAg4

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:38 AM