2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gibson With 0.09 Gauge Strings?
Fran
May 6 2009, 07:52 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I have 9s on my strat and 10s on my SG, and I find that I like 9sbetter lately, much more comfortable to play, so I'm thinking of changing to 9s on the SG too.

But I heard 10s are better for gibsons, something about them being thought to be played with 10s from factory... can that be true?

I mean I'm sure I can use any string gauge on any guitar, but would it really hinder the spirit of the SG much if I change to 9s?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 6 2009, 07:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
You can play ANY string gauge on ANY guitar if it's set up right.

All Gibsons are set up for 10's from the factory so you might need to adjust the neck...

THAT RUMOR COMES FROM HARDCORE GIBSON FANS WHO SAY THAT LES PAULS NEED 10s OR HIGHER BECAUSE LES PAULS AREN'T LITTLE GIRLY GUITARS; THEY ARE GUITARS FOR MEN!!! ^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Fran
May 6 2009, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 6 2009, 08:55 PM) *
THAT RUMOR COMES FROM HARDCORE GIBSON FANS WHO SAY THAT LES PAULS NEED 10s OR HIGHER BECAUSE LES PAULS AREN'T LITTLE GIRLY GUITARS; THEY ARE GUITARS FOR MEN!!! ^^

laugh.gif I think I know who you might be referring too tongue.gif

I guess a good setup will be needed then.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 6 2009, 08:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 6 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Aahahah agree laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 6 2009, 08:29 PM
Rather have thin strings and kickass vibrato than 13s and get weak as a chicken! 9s FTW if you want it, man!!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 6 2009, 08:34 PM
I bet Zsolt can do kickass vibrato on 13s laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 6 2009, 09:01 PM
Instructor
I got 09's on my Les Paul all the time.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 6 2009, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 6 2009, 10:01 PM) *
I got 09's on my Les Paul all the time.

And Trond is THE MAN.
So I'm going 9s now for sure, muahahahahha haha ha!! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 6 2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor
Where ever you heard 10s are better for Gibsons, I don't think that can be true for everybody, try it out and see how they react, if they work for you, they are good wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 6 2009, 09:10 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 6 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Where ever you heard 10s are better for Gibsons, I don't think that can be true for everybody, try it out and see how they react, if they work for you, they are good wink.gif

Zakk Wylde himself told him laugh.gif

+Quote Post
sted
May 6 2009, 09:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Depends really, 10's suit a gibson coz it gives you a little fight, which i like, i like a bit of meat to bend aginst, i got 10s on my strat and my tele too but its a totally different feel because of the scale length (Like nines would feel on a Gibson lol!)
Can honestly say i cant see any benefit in having nines, less tuning stability, less sustain, slice your fingers more and i always used to flinch when tuning up a the high E with nines, that thing is like a cheesewire!
BUT.....as usual its all down to preference!!

+Quote Post
Gilmore
May 6 2009, 09:30 PM
Hi

I´m a little bit torn between 009 and 10´s. I feel I loose a just little bit of tone with 9´s but they feel better under my fingers than 10´s. I recently changed all my guitars to 9´s from 10´s, including my SG and LP. I´m not shure what I like better, but if the guitar is set up right for the gauge, then it should be ok, but I might go back to 10´s for my SG and LP, but the Ibanez and Strat will have 9´s.

About the tone being girly, thin or something like that is just bullshit. Jimmy Page used 9´s even 8´s in the early years. He also talked about in an interview that those players today that are all using heavy gauge to get thick tone, should bear in mind that most of those classic recordings from the 60´s and 70´s were made with 008 gauge strings. That was the standard in those days I think. Angus Young uses 009´s, even though his signature guitar comes with 10´s in it.

Then again, you can get custom sets, with light top and heavy bottom. smile.gif

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 6 2009, 09:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
To me it feels really weird having a hughe and heavy guitar like a Les Paul or Explorer in my hands and the you have to play with slim and wobbly strings that have ZERO resistance when picking them... and a lot of people think this way

It's the opposite with Superstrats for example: You would feel weird if you have an Ibanez RG with a tremolo and a super fast neck and it is strung with 12-58 in E standard!!! Some might like it but most people want to play fast shredding on such a ''sports-guitar'' ^^ and therefore use light strings.

Personally I like thick strings, I never go below 10's on any guitar. It's not that I don't enjoy the easy bendings of 9s but I need some resistance for my picking + thicker strings give you a better tone and longer sustain

I strung my Les Paul with 11's and practiced Gary Moore and stuff (loads of bendings) until my fingers were strong enough to bend and vibrato 11's like they were 9s (it hurts but it is very rewarding)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 7 2009, 07:18 AM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ May 6 2009, 09:34 PM) *
I bet Zsolt can do kickass vibrato on 13s laugh.gif

I doubt it tongue.gif
If he can, it's pretty impressive.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 7 2009, 07:36 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ May 7 2009, 09:18 AM) *
I doubt it tongue.gif
If he can, it's pretty impressive.

I think sick vibrato with 10s on 22 fret with normal tuning IS impressive smile.gif Aaah, need more vibrato practice.. it`s mindblowing.

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
May 7 2009, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gilmore @ May 6 2009, 10:30 PM) *
Then again, you can get custom sets, with light top and heavy bottom. smile.gif

That's what I use ATM biggrin.gif

A lot of artists are using 9s on live gigs and 10s in studios smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 7 2009, 01:28 PM
Hey Fran, I think somebody already mentioned this. Gibson's handle heavier strings better because of the Scale Length. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't use 9's on it although they may feel a little bit 'loose'!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 7 2009, 02:55 PM
I use 10s on my SG. I never did like 9s on it. The high e was too thin to work on that guitar in my opinion. But you are a different player to me of course so it might work for you. It just didn't for me sad.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 7 2009, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ May 7 2009, 08:36 AM) *
I think sick vibrato with 10s on 22 fret with normal tuning IS impressive smile.gif Aaah, need more vibrato practice.. it`s mindblowing.

Good vibrato in general is impressive. smile.gif
Too bad many lack it.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 7 2009, 02:28 PM) *
although they may feel a little bit 'loose'!

pfft.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 7 2009, 05:20 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ May 7 2009, 04:10 PM) *
pfft.

So you're saying that you won't feel any difference??? All I'm saying is that if Fran's very used to playing with 10's then 9's on an SG will feel a hell of a lot 'looser' due to the shorter Scale Length.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:52 PM