Question On Caged System
carminemarotta
Jun 16 2011, 03:20 PM
GMC:er
Hi
I am reading the article " Caged, Part 1 - Introduction and the C Shape" by Andrew Cockburn (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=2944).
Starting from a C chord/major scale if we move two steps up we get a D chord/scale. Clear and easy. Then he says: "In our key of D (2 frets up remember), the associated chords would be G and A. Using the C shape of CAGED, working with the key of D, which we now understand means moving up 2 frets, means that we can play G and A using exactly the same chord shapes, just moved up a couple of frets, like this:..."

I really do not understand this, can someone help me?

Carmine

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2011, 03:26 PM
Instructor
It meant that if you move the A shape of the chord C two frets higher you'll get the A shape of the chord D:

A Shape:

C Major (A Shape)

D Major (A Shape)

and the same with the G Shape. Does it make sense now?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jun 16 2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i did not get it yet. I can't understand, why talking about A shape while explaining the C shape?

Carmine

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2011, 07:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Jun 16 2011, 03:28 PM) *
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i did not get it yet. I can't understand, why talking about A shape while explaining the C shape?

Carmine

It's called "A shape" because the CAGED system is based on the following 5 open chords positions...

C shape

A shape

G shape

E shape

D shape

The CAGED system explains that every chord can be played in 5 different shapes. Every shape is identified by the equivalent open chord name... here you have an example with the chord D.

D (D shape)

D (C shape)

D (A shape)

D (G shape)

D (E shape)

Does it make sense now?

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 17 2011, 02:56 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
Like Gab said, CAGED system is based on 5 chords on open strings:

C
A
G
E
D

You can check out the first 5 patterns Gab provided and see all those chords. You can "slide" these shapes anywhere on the neck, and get various chords, depending where you "land" smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jun 17 2011, 07:39 PM
So:
In Ivan Pentatonic Workshop Level 1 Caged Format, we start with a Am pentatonic scale in open position:

How this releted to CAGED? Had a long chat with Gabriel today and things are clearer but still confusing for me.

Thanks in advance
Carmine

This post has been edited by carminemarotta: Jun 18 2011, 09:39 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 18 2011, 08:46 AM
GMC Founder
Great explanations - I am finally starting to understand what CAGED is about!! biggrin.gif (Obviously I knew the theory but I didn't learn it by using the CAGE method)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2011, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Jun 17 2011, 08:39 PM) *
So:
In Ivan Pentatonic Workshop Level 1 Caged Format, we start with a Am pentatonic scale in open position:

How this releted to CAGED? Had a long chat with Gabriel today and things are clearer but still confusing for me.

Thanks in advance
Carmine

Exactly what part is confusing mate? smile.gif

The CAGED system features 5 positions on the fretboard for playing different chords. As Gab explained, there are 5 different open string chords.

When you shift the chords horizontally, you'll get 5 positions. Check out Gab's post, and see how he goes through 5 positions of a D chord on the neck. These 5 positions are the foundation of the CAGED system.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jun 21 2011, 10:45 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 19 2011, 02:15 PM) *
Exactly what part is confusing mate? smile.gif

The relation between the caged system and the scale. For example on the pentatonic scale above from your lesson which shape are you using?

Carmine

This post has been edited by carminemarotta: Jun 21 2011, 10:51 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:11 AM