6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
G String Issue
Phil66
May 28 2016, 08:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player

Yeah Todd, the luthier had it for two weeks, he did actually raise the G string as high as the hardware would allow, reset the intonation lowered the pickups right down to stop the magnets having an affect and it was still the same. All B's regardless of how the guitar is tuned or set up don't sustain as long as any other note. The G string Bs above the 12th fret are the worst and he tried different brands of string.

It's one for the vaults of dispair laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 28 2016, 03:18 AM) *
So did you take it in to your luthier to see if he could fix it? I don't remember where we left off there? If he can't fix it, IMHO, you should get a replacement from PRS. They won't like the idea but a new guitar should play like a new guitar, especially a PRS.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the action on the instrument could be raised a bit on that string via the bridge to see if it makes the issue go away. However, even if this works,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 28 2016, 05:29 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I think it's time to demand a replacement and compensation for anything spent on trying to fix or figure out the problem.
I have never heard of an issue like this or an explanation like the one you got from the folks at PRS. I think the guy from PRS is full of you know what when he says all guitars have dead spots.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: May 28 2016, 05:32 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2016, 06:27 PM
Thanks Rich,
They are getting back to me on Tuesday (it's a public holiday here on Monday) so I'll see what they say.
Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2016, 08:47 PM
GMC:er
Sounds like it's one for the RETURN REQUEST smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 28 2016, 03:15 AM) *
Yeah Todd, the luthier had it for two weeks, he did actually raise the G string as high as the hardware would allow, reset the intonation lowered the pickups right down to stop the magnets having an affect and it was still the same. All B's regardless of how the guitar is tuned or set up don't sustain as long as any other note. The G string Bs above the 12th fret are the worst and he tried different brands of string.

It's one for the vaults of dispair laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2016, 10:07 PM
I'll see what they say. I don't actually know where I stand in UK law after having the guitar since late last year.
Thanks for all of your advice folks. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 29 2016, 06:38 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Best of luck to you Phil. I am pulling for you!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2016, 12:58 AM
A year is a while to keep one before asking for a return, but hopefully they will make it right. You've done everything you can. After trying to fix it for a year, you really should get a free swap at least IMHO.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 29 2016, 01:38 PM) *
Best of luck to you Phil. I am pulling for you!

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2016, 09:29 AM
I had it in September, I haven't played it much as it is a collector and hangs on the wall by a signed pic of Ace. I only discovered the issues recently trying some long notes for a piece and playing around with my compressor for sustain. It was the luthier that discovered it was all B notes, I probably never would have noticed the others to be honest as in not one at the moment to play long notes. It was the one at the 16th fret and both me and the luthier originally thought it was s high fret.
I've explained all of this to PRS and the luthier said he would speak to them if they want to call him so let's just hope they're a fair and square company.
It's the guitar that was delivered with dust and greasy fingerprints all over it if you remember https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=55111

Cheers folks

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 30 2016, 09:54 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
May 30 2016, 03:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I dont know if its different with guitars but a new product purchased less than a year ago with a manufacturing fault, or whatever it is, certainly not a customer damage thing, should be replaced without too much hassle.
Very interesting to hear what PRS come back with smile.gif

I feel bad for the luthier¬ 2 weeks and couldnt get to the bottom of it, that must have drove him crazy biggrin.gif I'll bet its still bugging him!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 30 2016, 04:00 PM
I'm fascinated with this. So I went back and listened to all the sound samples of the problem.
Without having the guitar in my hands I can't make an absolute statement of course but my experience tells me it's hardware related.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2016, 05:57 PM
We can rule out pickups because it's the same unplugged. Strings have been changed. Frets have been dressed. Pickups were lowered as far as possible to prevent pull from the magnets, still the same. All screws were checked to be tight without being over tight. In desperation he even tried turning the pots all one way, then all the other, then different combos, just in case in the remotest chance they were somehow affecting the resonation, obviously by this time he was pulling his hair out.
The only thing he didn't try was the locking of the trem. To be fair he is certain it isn't the trem and offered to check it out if I left the guitar with him but that kind of fix makes the guitar no longer original.
Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 30 2016, 05:59 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 30 2016, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 30 2016, 04:57 PM) *
The only thing he didn't try was the locking of the trem. To be fair he is certain it isn't the trem and offered to check it out if I left the guitar with him but that kind of fix makes the guitar no longer original.
Cheers buddy

No worrys about that, a piece of wood can easily be removed if wanted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah I know but I want it to work how it should in its proper state smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 30 2016, 08:14 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with whether the trem is 'blocked' or not.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2016, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 30 2016, 08:14 PM) *

My luthier doesn't either but he said he would lock it and try it, he will try anything he is that fascinated by the problem. I could block it myself I guess but I'm waiting to see what they say tomorrow.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 30 2016, 10:07 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 30 2016, 07:14 PM) *

I'm not sure it would work either, only hoping the resonance problem is from the (floating) bridge not the guitar. Floating bridges vibrate differently to the guitar, made quite a difference in tone when I blocked mine (though my guitar has a floyd type bridge).

If that doesn't work then only solution is (most common fix luthiers do) the headstock must be clamped (or screwing a piece of metal to add weight), thats how such issues are actually fixed but these I'm afraid are a bit more work and nt sure if phill would like them. Here are some pic.s from web;

I think the fatfinger is discontinued but might be found used (but its not very heavy, designed for tonal difference not to fix deadspots)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2016, 10:37 PM
We could try a mini G clamp if all else fails smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 30 2016, 10:57 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 30 2016, 09:37 PM) *
We could try a mini G clamp if all else fails smile.gif

Why not? smile.gif I tested it once to see if the tone changed (and it did, mid.s got lower while the acoustic volume increased), just remember to place some cloth where it squeezes the guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 30 2016, 11:00 PM
That shit's all 'snake oil'.
Those sustain devices will only maybe increase the overall sustain of an instrument but they won't/can't fix one specific issue.
Don't waste your money.

+Quote Post
bleez
May 30 2016, 11:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 30 2016, 08:55 PM) *
I'm waiting to see what they say tomorrow.

we all are, dude biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:49 AM