Do I Need To Change My Technique, and can I play fast?
ElHombre
Nov 4 2013, 01:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello

The School did not like my alternate picking mixed with hybrid picking that I have always used.
Well I can do AP slowly, and I only have to do it slowly for exams and stuff but.

Should I keep this technique for my own stuff?
Well I keep small movement and I dont do anything wrong with handplacement and such.

And I heard If u can play "fast" you dont have to change your technique, you are then "good".

Okay I attack a sound file, just free playing, not clean, no metrnome but still, just me giving it a go
And is that playing considered "fast"

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  someplaying.mp3 ( 242.04K ) Number of downloads: 106

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 4 2013, 09:36 AM
Instructor
I think it would be a shame if you had to change something if it works for you.

Your playing in the clip sounds plenty fast smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 4 2013, 09:54 AM
GMC:er

I don't understand what the problem is. The only thing not clean, is that tone! tongue.gif Everyone seems to be hellbent on a certain way to pick or play. I've always been told if it works for you that's what matters.

But honestly that sounds fine to me as well, nice strong articulation, strong articulation, and I didn't notice any off sounding notes.

I want to say thats average speed fast. I only say that because I think of fast with over the top artists. Cooley, MAB, Gilbert, Buckethead, Vai, and such. But I would love to play that fast and clean myself! smile.gif

This post has been edited by SpaseMoonkey: Nov 4 2013, 09:54 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 4 2013, 11:35 AM
Instructor
It's only a matter of Your own target but remember....That's they way school works. I had to play tons of classical music which I didn't dig back then. But I did it and I don't regret. If You're sure You dound best solutions for Yourself then just do only a minimum that's necessary to pass the school wink.gif

There are a few more factors You should consider - the tone on the clean tone and sofr drive. Comfort of playing and avility to play fast and hard on acoustic guitar. Ask Yourself are You able to handle those and do You think You need to handle it at all wink.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 4 2013, 11:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
to be fair, I would like to know their comments / evaluations and if they had set a standard for you to achieve

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 5 2013, 09:43 AM
Instructor
I think Ben stated the obvious here wink.gif

Why try to change something that's already working, instead of taking that technique to a higher level each day through practice!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 5 2013, 10:00 AM
Learning Roadie
Maybe your school is trying to make you as versatile a musician as possible. There maybe some pieces or situations that call for strict Alt Picking and they are preparing you for this.

You're at school to learn to be the best you can be, if you've already shown you've achieved a high standard of hybrid picking, maybe they want to bring your strict Alt picking technique up to the same standard.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 11:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 5 2013, 10:00 AM) *
Maybe your school is trying to make you as versatile a musician as possible. There maybe some pieces or situations that call for strict Alt Picking and they are preparing you for this.

You're at school to learn to be the best you can be, if you've already shown you've achieved a high standard of hybrid picking, maybe they want to bring your strict Alt picking technique up to the same standard.

Very wise words Poster! Maybe You could treat it as a new adventure instead of "someone making me do something I don't want" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2013, 11:33 PM
It's important to use what works well for you smile.gif Try to learn anything you can at school, and become proficient in whatever it takes to pass tests/exams, but keep whatever works and add new things as you go smile.gif Can you shoot a quick video so we can see your technique?

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Nov 3 2013, 08:08 PM) *
Hello

The School did not like my alternate picking mixed with hybrid picking that I have always used.
Well I can do AP slowly, and I only have to do it slowly for exams and stuff but.

Should I keep this technique for my own stuff?
Well I keep small movement and I dont do anything wrong with handplacement and such.

And I heard If u can play "fast" you dont have to change your technique, you are then "good".

Okay I attack a sound file, just free playing, not clean, no metrnome but still, just me giving it a go
And is that playing considered "fast"

Cheers

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2013, 09:07 AM
Instructor
I have been analyzing things a bit and Todd is right smile.gif You could take this as a whole new experience and just add a new approach to your playing - since it's the school curriculum, you don't have much choice but to explore and enjoy wink.gif

And again, as Todd said, a video could help us help you smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 6 2013, 05:02 PM
In fairness to the school it would be necessary to hear and see exactly what they heard and saw.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:21 PM