Scales And Arppegio Refrence Books
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 11:40 AM
Lets go fishing!
Hi GMC'ers biggrin.gif

I was wondering does anyone know of any good books for refrencing Scales and Arpeggios? I would really like to start constructing my own compositions now my skills are building up smile.gif I also want to get more creative with the use of sweep arpeggios, and sweep taps.

Right now Im just useing the various shapes ive learnt here at GMC, but would love to be able to access a refrence of some kind so I can really get creative !:)

Many thanks as always wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 11:42 AM
GMC:er
You can get loads from local shops. I have one that is about a 1000 pages thick lol. If it fell off a shelf it would probably go straight through the floor biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 11:55 AM
Lets go fishing!
Sadly all my local shops are usless ! wink.gif I was wondering if there was one really great book anyone knows off ? smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Scal...2456&sr=8-2

Or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guitar-Ch...533&sr=8-15

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Mar 3 2008, 11:59 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 12:06 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hmm iv had a look around and all the books ive found seem quite useless. Let me know if you find "the bible" of scales and arps though, as i guess you're looking for a huge no-holds-barred rampage of a book (as am i wink.gif )

Anyhow- aswell as the book you are yet to find i reccomend you check out these free online books (as you want to get writing). They are indepth and contain some really nifty tips and tricks that i think are going to be invaluable as soon as i get off my behind and get writing wink.gif

Practical Guide to Musical Composition
http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/Belkin/bk/

Principles of Counterpoint
http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/...bk.C/index.html

Artistic Orchestration
http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/...bk.o/index.html

General Principles of Harmony
http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/...bk.H/index.html

I know you'll like those- they are the best entry level books (apparently) for these subjects- packed with handy info.

Keep me posted if you find anything for your scales and arps!

@OC, i dont know anything about the first book, as it doesnt give much away, but by the looks of those reviews the second book is as useful as wearing shorts in a British summer.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 12:13 PM
Lets go fishing!
Wow thats a really helpful post man - thanks biggrin.gif

If anyone else here knows of any such books it would be much appreciated. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 12:19 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Had a bit of a browse on amazon matt- and by the sounds of things- combining these two scale books will be as much scale stuff as you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scale-Book-...a/dp/0793597889

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guitar-Scal...e/dp/1929395094

Ill keep looking for Arpeggio books. (btw i doesnt look like you'll find just one book for all your needs, as you need two books even for a complete scale reference)

Ofcourse i dont own these books- i just checked out the reviews- so dont shoot me if they're not great wink.gif

<But if you do pick them up let me know what you think

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 12:26 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thats too kind of you deeproots - thanks smile.gif I was sure id seen a complete refrence of arpeggios somwhere, but I probably dreamt it smile.gif

This raises another question, how do our guitar heros go about selecting sweep and or/ alternate picked arpeggios and putting them into a composition? Maybe one of intructors could "shred" some light ? smile.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ohh im so funny dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 12:31 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 3 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Maybe one of intructors could "shred" some light ? smile.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ohh im so funny dry.gif

mellow.gif
you can do better than that matt laugh.gif lol

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 3 2008, 11:26 AM) *
This raises another question, how do our guitar heros go about selecting sweep and or/ alternate picked arpeggios and putting them into a composition?

It usually comes from selecting a chord progression and just using common sweep-freindly arpeggio sweeps following the chord progression. Or if its just a one off sweep in the middle of a solo its often just following the chord being played beneath it. <or atleast thats what i found when i looked at my heroes>

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 12:38 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Mar 3 2008, 11:31 AM) *
mellow.gif
you can do better than that matt laugh.gif lol

It usually comes from selecting a chord progression and just using common sweep-freindly arpeggio sweeps following the chord progression. Or if its just a one off sweep in the middle of a solo its often just following the chord being played beneath it. <or atleast thats what i found when i looked at my heroes>

THAT is a cool answer smile.gif I watch bucket alot and often just throws one lightning fast Sweep Tap in right in the middle of a solo - its sooo cool wink.gif

I really need to learn how to build Chord Progressions - properly smile.gif As my technique is building up, I fell like this is one area I really need to understand, but im not sure where to start smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 12:45 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 3 2008, 11:38 AM) *
I really need to learn how to build Chord Progressions - properly smile.gif As my technique is building up, I fell like this is one area I really need to understand, but im not sure where to start smile.gif

I think that once you understand the chords for scales lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3630

That the only thing you need to get going are some sample chord progressions so that you get the feel of different progression eg I-V-IV

This book i actually have: Its amazing. Just awesome. Examples to study then awesome tips on how to take a simple idea and make it more exciting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Chor...e/dp/0825614880

Cheap as chips too- Promise me you'll get this one Matt?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 12:56 PM
Lets go fishing!
Oh man, that looks like a great purchase! I will put my order in right away smile.gif I havent yet covered this topic with my theory studies, and so this could really be what im looking for smile.gif

Deeproots YOUR THE SHIZZLE ! tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 01:00 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 3 2008, 11:56 AM) *
YOUR THE SHIZZLE ! tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Shizzle my nizzle dizzle wink.gif

(i have no idea what that means...)

Its cool Matt- have fun with that one, its a bit of a reminder for me because i havnet been using it much lately.
I bought a while bunch of books a while back- and didnt understand them because they were too advanced and i didnt have a clue about theory.

Now the pile should be prepared for a full frontal attack biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 01:02 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Mar 3 2008, 12:00 PM) *
Now the pile should be prepared for a full frontal attack biggrin.gif

Good luck with your pile .... unsure.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slammer
Mar 3 2008, 03:37 PM
The Guitar Grimoire Scales and Modes is a Classic.

I have it and it's helped me alot with Scales and understanding how they're built, and theory overall.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 04:15 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Slammer @ Mar 3 2008, 02:37 PM) *
The Guitar Grimoire Scales and Modes is a Classic.

I have it and it's helped me alot with Scales and understanding how they're built, and theory overall.

cool book slammer! does it list arpeggios too? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slammer
Mar 3 2008, 04:44 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 3 2008, 10:15 AM) *
cool book slammer! does it list arpeggios too? smile.gif

Unforunatly not unsure.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 04:49 PM
Maybe this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Arpeggio-En...9970&sr=8-4

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 05:16 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 3 2008, 03:49 PM) *

looks very good actually- however i read in a few reviews there are a few mistakes and typos (which may lead you to play something wrong)- either way you can have a small browse here :
http://www.melbay.com/samples.asp?producti...mode=&next=

I might get this one, but i'll be on the look out for errors

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:50 PM