More Haunting Sound!
Tekroe
Aug 4 2008, 12:41 AM
GMC:er
Yeah.. I recently joined a band.. We're called Embryo but that's not so important.
The point is! We're writing some songs right now and they wanted me to create some "Haunting" licks
The problem isn't that I can't create them, but I want some more interesting licks.
Like a arpeggio of three or four notes..

So.. Any idea how I can do that? Some magic theory trick like Dimished 7 and all that stuff I can use? (I almost don't know any theory at all, But I'm trying to learn some : D) or any guitarist I might want to listen to?

I hope some of you know anything : D

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 4 2008, 12:56 AM
don't know much about haunting notes or scales. But good singing and guitar effects can create a very scary sound.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 01:19 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tekroe @ Aug 3 2008, 07:41 PM) *
Yeah.. I recently joined a band.. We're called Embryo but that's not so important.
The point is! We're writing some songs right now and they wanted me to create some "Haunting" licks
The problem isn't that I can't create them, but I want some more interesting licks.
Like a arpeggio of three or four notes..

So.. Any idea how I can do that? Some magic theory trick like Dimished 7 and all that stuff I can use? (I almost don't know any theory at all, But I'm trying to learn some : D) or any guitarist I might want to listen to?

I hope some of you know anything : D

For people you might want to check out... definitely billy corgan (smashing pumpkins) and sonic youth.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Aug 4 2008, 01:32 AM
I was noodling around one day with the volume knob, and I found a pretty cool "ghost like" technique. Start with the volume knob at 0%. Then tap a note, and turn the volume knob up. Turn the volume down after each note, and up on each note. Try making a few patterns in phrygian, phrygian dominant, diminished, etc. I haven't really used this much, but I'm sure one day I'll find a place for it...

I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't came across anybody who has used it yet... hmm...

Oh, and feel free to use a whammy bar with it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 4 2008, 03:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Déjà vu @ Aug 4 2008, 02:32 AM) *
I was noodling around one day with the volume knob, and I found a pretty cool "ghost like" technique. Start with the volume knob at 0%. Then tap a note, and turn the volume knob up. Turn the volume down after each note, and up on each note. Try making a few patterns in phrygian, phrygian dominant, diminished, etc. I haven't really used this much, but I'm sure one day I'll find a place for it...

I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't came across anybody who has used it yet... hmm...

Oh, and feel free to use a whammy bar with it. wink.gif

That sounds awesome indeed tongue.gif Works extremely well in slower songs ^^ Like a pattern of four notes during a verse, suddenly turned up in my head ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Aug 4 2008, 03:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 4 2008, 09:28 AM
I got one, thats perfect... start on the 13 fret with your pick hands index finger and vibrate... then slide to the 15th and do the same then go to 11 or something all on the B string... spooky sound

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Aug 4 2008, 09:41 AM
try this:

start out with a regular arpeggio and do some dissonant variation.

i.e. d-minor - played on 14th fret g-string, then 10th fret g string and 12 fret d string. play these in triplets one time, then play 13th fret g-string, 12th fret g-string and 11th fret d-string and start over again. gives a nice threatening sound smile.gif

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
Tekroe
Aug 4 2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!
I actually have created some spooky things today biggrin.gif

I knew about that volume knob thingy, but I use it to create like a "Orchestra/Cello" Kind of sound.
Often as a add to the real guitar work to give the song more of a soul. : )

Also I have found a wierd noise that sound like that scary roar/grunt/whatever in The Grudge, If anyone has seen it.
Put some delay on and then pick slide very slowly over the pickups on either the fourth, fifth and the sixth string..
You might want to experiment a little before you get the exact same sound.
That's creepy..
Well that's my input on scary sounds.

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Aug 4 2008, 12:32 PM
A good example of the haunting sound using volume swells is found in Iron Maiden's 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner'

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 07:34 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (TheOldOnes @ Aug 4 2008, 07:32 AM) *
A good example of the haunting sound using volume swells is found in Iron Maiden's 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner'

Which also happens to be a good example of a bone crushing riff! \m/

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:14 AM