New M1 Mac On It's Way To Me!
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2021, 08:05 PM
GMC:er
I finally bought one of the new M1 Macs. I looked at all of them, including the crazy price newest releases. As far as bang for your buck, the clear winner in my mind is the bone stock, starter Mac Mini m1. It's just crazy inexspensive relative to it's performance and the other new M1 variants. You can get a laptop M1x now and spend nearly 5k on it. I've never been that guy, so I'm not buying that machine. I got the standard issue 8gb/256gb unit. Im going to run logic on it and see how many of my plugins actually work!! I'll use this thread to keep folks updated.

I've been using my trusty quad i7/16gb ram/1tb ssd for several years now and they were still selling that same spec of macbook pro right up until the M1. I'm sure the transition will have some issues so I'll let you guys know smile.gif I think I'm the only GMCr who will be on the new platform unless other folks have bought one and not shared or I somehow missed it. If anyone has one or plans to get one please do share!

so here is a spec sheet.

Attached Image

Here is a vid about the unit.

Stay on the right path and check out this right hand lesson!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Right-Hand-II/

This is the next step in the evolution of the platform. Entirely proprietary so it can be crazy fast as apps are being written for a specialized chip set. it's one big software accelerator. It's always been a big software dongle. Now it's a crazy fast dongle. I'll let you guys know if the minimal ram is a problem. Also, I have a 1tb external SSD that I plan to use as primary storage. The idea of paying triple the price for a built in apple hard drive just seemed a bit crazy. Onward!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 28 2021, 08:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 28 2021, 08:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Interesting, congrats, I keep on toying with the idea of getting a MAC, that price is so good I might try one. How many monitors can it run?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 29 2021, 02:53 AM
Very cool!
If I didn't have a spec'd out 2019 mbp I would definitely get a new M1.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2021, 05:00 AM
it will push two monitors evidently, which is handy smile.gif I like to have one monitor for running the editing bits of premiere and then have another for just using as a full screen video preview. This is the best price you can get on a m1 mac currently. Id say go for it! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 28 2021, 03:40 PM) *
Interesting, congrats, I keep on toying with the idea of getting a MAC, that price is so good I might try one. How many monitors can it run?

What spec did you go for in your 2019? Should be supported for 10 years or so. My old MBP is finally an "antique" and can't even get security updates anymore!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 28 2021, 09:53 PM) *
Very cool!
If I didn't have a spec'd out 2019 mbp I would definitely get a new M1.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 29 2021, 05:50 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 28 2021, 09:00 PM) *
What spec did you go for in your 2019? Should be supported for 10 years or so. My old MBP is finally an "antique" and can't even get security updates anymore!

16" mbp: i9, 32 gb ram, 8 core, 2.3ghz (4.5ghz w/turbo boost), 1tb internal ssd (plus another external ssd) ... and I pretty much only use it for recording. It purrs.
I'm assuming it'll be good through 2028 or so.

*I may get an M1 'Air' just to check it out. I'm using a 2017 13" base model for my everyday computer stuff.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 29 2021, 08:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 29 2021, 04:00 AM) *
it will push two monitors evidently, which is handy smile.gif I like to have one monitor for running the editing bits of premiere and then have another for just using as a full screen video preview. This is the best price you can get on a m1 mac currently. Id say go for it! smile.gif

I'll have a think, cheers.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 29 2021, 08:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
Looks cool! Congrats! smile.gif

I am thinking about my next computer now - as I've said before I'm hoping my current one will last another 2 years with the current parts, but there's not a great point in keeping anything but the graphics card around and maybe the power supply - if I want a new CPU I'll have to change the motherboard anyway, and then what about RAM too maybe, and it quickly snowballs to "might as well buy a completely new one" (or put together one more likely). I'm just going for a classic desktop as always though, I think. Mid- or fulltower, but just a "silent" case - no fancy RGB flashy colors needed, as it's under my desk anyway. So something like this is totally fine for me:

My hope is that I can have about 1500-2000 USD saved up by that time and see what it gets me. I don't need a graphics card if my RTX2070 Super is still considered good enough at that point, so 1500-2000 USD might get me something quite good, as graphic cards can eat a huge chunk out of a budget - the 2070 Super was about 630 USD when I bought that, so I hope it holds up for some more years even going into a new build smile.gif

Congrats on your new M1 Mac. Let us know how it runs and how you like it!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2021, 12:30 AM
KEN: That's a mean MBP!! Top of the line stuff. Should be more than plenty for years to come. You can grab an Air to see what the M1 feels like and start the long process of seeing what works and what doesn't. It's gonna take some time, but eventually all of the major software vendors will release M1 native stuff hopefully. the AIR is a great way to get started imho. I almost went that way myself, but I got a good deal on a Mini so that's what ended up working out.

PHIL: Worth a think to be sure smile.gif

BEN: Looks nice! Sounds like a plan. It takes planning to save up for annual or semi annual gear upgrades. Seems the upgrade schedule has increased a bit in recent years.

I grabbed my MINI Today! Gonna set it up as a secondary while I start trying to move all of my software/plugins etc. on to it. It's my first M1 disk image build. This rig seems really under powered with only 8 GB of ram, but we shall see smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 22 2021, 05:28 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 30 2021, 01:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 30 2021, 01:30 AM) *
BEN: Looks nice! Sounds like a plan. It takes planning to save up for annual or semi annual gear upgrades. Seems the upgrade schedule has increased a bit in recent years.

Yeah. My current rig runs perfectly fine, but it would suck when it one day doesn't and then having not saved up.

I should probably also get a new computer monitor soon. I've been using a TV and a 15 year old Samsung SyncMaster for many years now. I've been thinking about an ultrawide. Not enough money to go around for tall the things I'd like laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2021, 03:15 AM
You can get a 35 inch curved monitor on amazon for $329 which is a pretty spiff deal smile.gif

Visit My Website

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 29 2021, 08:04 PM) *
Yeah. My current rig runs perfectly fine, but it would suck when it one day doesn't and then having not saved up.

I should probably also get a new computer monitor soon. I've been using a TV and a 15 year old Samsung SyncMaster for many years now. I've been thinking about an ultrawide. Not enough money to go around for tall the things I'd like laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 30 2021, 06:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 30 2021, 04:15 AM) *
You can get a 35 inch curved monitor on amazon for $329 which is a pretty spiff deal smile.gif

Visit My Website

Attached Image

Price would be a bit different in Denmark/Europe, but yeah, I've been looking at a few of them. I do hear that video editing and such can be tricky on a curved one though, as it shows straight lines in a different way. Some people say they get used to it and some say they don't and go back.

Similar one to that from Amazon is at about 500 USD here.

If I'm going for a new monitor I might as well go for one that has a response time of 1ms as well and 144hz, even if I don't do a whole lot of fast paced gaming. And 3440x1440. That lands me at about 530 USD, curved or not, for something like this:

https://www.fcomputer.dk/aoc-cu34g2x-bk-cu34g2xbk

Flat could be like this:

https://www.proshop.dk/Skaerm/iiyama-34-Ska...Premium/2857464

EDIT: Just noticed Amazon shows shipping and import fees to Denmark. The one you linked would run me in at approx. $643.92. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2021, 07:45 AM
$650!!! THAT'S NUTS!!! Wow. Yeah, thats not gonna work. You found some good prices on local items which is cool smile.gif Never mind on my amazon suggestion. ouch!! I think I remember you saying your CPU was in the unsupported list for the new version of windows? My entire laptop collection is in the "unsupported" version of the new mac os. I thought it was lame that microsoft declared an entire swath of new chips "unsupported". Such is life.

This one I use is curved but it's not a very big curvature. I use it for video editing all the time. Never seemed to get in the way. But everyone is a bit different I guess. I have really enjoyed it having a bit of a wrap around effect. never seemed to have any issue with straight lines though. I really like how wide it is for editing, having a huge timeline is handy. also having the curve for gaming and movies is cool.

I looked at getting a really high res version but the prices start going nuts. I was really happy to find this 34 inch curved for about $300. They are out of stock again here on these. Glad I got an external as I have to pair it with my mac mini. I have yet to plug it in but that's on deck.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 30 2021, 01:02 AM) *
Price would be a bit different in Denmark/Europe, but yeah, I've been looking at a few of them. I do hear that video editing and such can be tricky on a curved one though, as it shows straight lines in a different way. Some people say they get used to it and some say they don't and go back.

Similar one to that from Amazon is at about 500 USD here.

If I'm going for a new monitor I might as well go for one that has a response time of 1ms as well and 144hz, even if I don't do a whole lot of fast paced gaming. And 3440x1440. That lands me at about 530 USD, curved or not, for something like this:

https://www.fcomputer.dk/aoc-cu34g2x-bk-cu34g2xbk

Flat could be like this:

https://www.proshop.dk/Skaerm/iiyama-34-Ska...Premium/2857464

EDIT: Just noticed Amazon shows shipping and import fees to Denmark. The one you linked would run me in at approx. $643.92. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 30 2021, 08:00 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2021, 04:15 AM
Unboxed the M1 Mac Mini today smile.gif Gotta do a LOT of installs and such.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 22 2021, 05:29 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2021, 05:35 AM
The new M1 has made the HACKINTOSH a bit pointless evidently. The hacktinsosh community was going strong and has made some great machines. The bad news for them is that the M1 silicon outruns Pc hardware of equivalent price. Especially software that is written to work natively with the M1. In this vid he's using a mac mini which is the one I bought.

In this vid they use a 10 core intel i9 chip in the hackintosh. this is a beefy chip. They use on board graphics since crypto mining has made after market video cards crazy pricey. They wanted to keep the cost about 1k which is what they spent on the Mac Mini. It's possible to get a much faster hackintosh, you just gotta spend way more than you would spend on an actual Mac for similar results.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:49 PM