I Just Bought....
Sensible Jones
Oct 17 2014, 03:40 PM
GMC:er
As the Power Supply on my 1967 Selmer is starting to pack up I decided I needed to get something to use whilst it goes for repairs. It had to be Tube, a bit more modern, but simple. Not too worried about Modern Hi Gain sounds as I don't need them live.
After a conversation with my friend Irene Ketikidi she told me she had an amp for sale and, as we're friends, she would sell it to me for a slight reduction in her original asking price! This was her main Live Amp until she got an Endorsee deal with Orange, so this thing has travelled to more places than a lot of people have!!
So, on Wednesday, I travelled up to London to go get it and here it is:-
Attached Image
It's a Traynor YCV 40, Handbuilt in Toronto, Canada. It sounds great, really bright cleans and Crunch and takes nicely to having the Gain turned up. The Clean Channel works really well when driven with my old Zoom Stomps, especially the Hyper-Lead.
Sound-wise it's very similar to an old Fender Twin that I used to use years ago!!
Here's a random YT clip of one:-

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 19 2014, 10:27 AM
Instructor
Great deal man smile.gif I have no clue these amps existed, but since you are all for rare/boutique stuff, I totally trust you know what you got there biggrin.gif

When can we hear a sample of clean juiciness? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 19 2014, 04:51 PM
Traynor's are fairly popular in the states - vintage and current. They've been around since the early 60s (Yorkville Sound) as a cheaper alternative to Fender or Marshall, but using similar circuits and sounding very good. They're also known to be quite reliable and easy to work on.

The vintage models are 'indie' rock cool right now.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 19 2014, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 19 2014, 10:27 AM) *
Great deal man smile.gif I have no clue these amps existed, but since you are all for rare/boutique stuff, I totally trust you know what you got there biggrin.gif

When can we hear a sample of clean juiciness? biggrin.gif

I will post some samples as soon as I get a decent enough Mic to record it with. I think I need to acquire a new SM57 or similar!!
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 19 2014, 04:51 PM) *
Traynor's are fairly popular in the states - vintage and current. They've been around since the early 60s (Yorkville Sound) as a cheaper alternative to Fender or Marshall, but using similar circuits and sounding very good. They're also known to be quite reliable and easy to work on.

The vintage models are 'indie' rock cool right now.
Attached Image

Thanks for that Ken, I didn't realise they'd been around for as long as that!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2014, 08:44 PM
Instructor
Congratulations mate! The amp looks great and based on the video it seems to sounds very good. I'll be waiting for your samples! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 20 2014, 11:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 19 2014, 05:26 PM) *
I will post some samples as soon as I get a decent enough Mic to record it with. I think I need to acquire a new SM57 or similar!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for that Ken, I didn't realise they'd been around for as long as that!!
smile.gif

What sort of mic do you plan on using? I had my eyes on the Senheiser e609 Silver, as I loved the way my recordings sounded last time I used it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 20 2014, 03:48 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 19 2014, 08:44 PM) *
Congratulations mate! The amp looks great and based on the video it seems to sounds very good. I'll be waiting for your samples! smile.gif

Thanks Gab! I'll get them up as soon as I can!!
smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 20 2014, 11:25 AM) *
What sort of mic do you plan on using? I had my eyes on the Senheiser e609 Silver, as I loved the way my recordings sounded last time I used it smile.gif

I was thinking of an SM 57 but am open to any suggestions of anything else that will do a good job!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 21 2014, 07:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 20 2014, 02:48 PM) *
I was thinking of an SM 57 but am open to any suggestions of anything else that will do a good job!
smile.gif

Everyone here suggested the SM57 every time and I know it's a great solution - a bit cheaper than the Senheiser too. I think you have a lot of options and you can surely borrow a few different models for tests - right? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 21 2014, 10:17 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 21 2014, 07:16 AM) *
Everyone here suggested the SM57 every time and I know it's a great solution - a bit cheaper than the Senheiser too. I think you have a lot of options and you can surely borrow a few different models for tests - right? smile.gif

I will definitely do some tests at the Shop! I'm pretty sure that my Bro has a couple of SM 57's at his place that aren't being used at the moment. I'll see if I can borrow one of those when I see him next!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2014, 07:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 21 2014, 09:17 AM) *
I will definitely do some tests at the Shop! I'm pretty sure that my Bro has a couple of SM 57's at his place that aren't being used at the moment. I'll see if I can borrow one of those when I see him next!
smile.gif

Hah! So you guys are involved in the music business as a whole family? That's amazing! Keep us updated smile.gif I am seriously thinking about buying a guitar cab mic for myself and I am oscillating between the SM57 and the e609 - we'll see what's what wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 22 2014, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 22 2014, 07:29 AM) *
Hah! So you guys are involved in the music business as a whole family? That's amazing! Keep us updated smile.gif I am seriously thinking about buying a guitar cab mic for myself and I am oscillating between the SM57 and the e609 - we'll see what's what wink.gif

Sort of, my older Bro (the one in Zurich) did Electronica, Ambient type stuff in the 80's. My younger Bro is like me and has done all sorts but his main thing was Radio Broadcasting, that's why he has odd Mics and things still around!
biggrin.gif

I'll speak to my freind at the Shop this weekend and see what Mics I can borrow to test. It will depend what he has in Stock at the time.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 23 2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor
Let us know what you have chosen, mate smile.gif I do believe you have a lot of experience with micing amps, especially in a live setting - correct?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 23 2014, 08:16 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 23 2014, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 23 2014, 08:16 AM) *
Let us know what you have chosen, mate smile.gif I do believe you have a lot of experience with micing amps, especially in a live setting - correct?

I'm borrowing the SM 57's this weekend and will be experimenting with them next week!
I have Mic'd a few Amps/Cabinets in my time, it's true! wink.gif
Although I have heard from a few Engineers that there is a slightly different way of Mic'ing for Recording purposes!I think it's to do with Mic'ing for lower Volume Levels. Not sure though!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2014, 08:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 23 2014, 08:37 PM) *
I'm borrowing the SM 57's this weekend and will be experimenting with them next week!
I have Mic'd a few Amps/Cabinets in my time, it's true! wink.gif
Although I have heard from a few Engineers that there is a slightly different way of Mic'ing for Recording purposes!I think it's to do with Mic'ing for lower Volume Levels. Not sure though!
smile.gif

I have only mic'ed a Vox AC15 using a Beyerdynamic microphone, without having ANY prior experience and I got a very good crunch tone out of it smile.gif I guess it's all in experimenting isn't it? And yeah, I'm clearly agreeing with the fact that micing for live and for recording involves different stuff smile.gif Here's what I found so far:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/general/...icrophone-tips/

As I said, I am not experienced, so any piece of info can come in handy for me and I thought I'd share it too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 24 2014, 11:39 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 24 2014, 08:57 AM) *
I have only mic'ed a Vox AC15 using a Beyerdynamic microphone, without having ANY prior experience and I got a very good crunch tone out of it smile.gif I guess it's all in experimenting isn't it? And yeah, I'm clearly agreeing with the fact that micing for live and for recording involves different stuff smile.gif Here's what I found so far:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/general/...icrophone-tips/

As I said, I am not experienced, so any piece of info can come in handy for me and I thought I'd share it too smile.gif

It is definitely all about experimentation for sure!! I have a friend that has an amazing way of recording Acoustic Guitars using a 3 Mic set-up. You will never hear a better recording than his way. I'll get him to write it out for me and post it as a Wiki article maybe!!
Talking of articles, that was an interesting article! Thanks for the share!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 25 2014, 06:22 PM
Instructor
Hey Neil!! I'd be very, very interested to find out more, as next weekend I'm recording some acoustic covers smile.gif

Please let me know as soon as you have news wink.gif All the best and thank you in advance, mate!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 26 2014, 06:00 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 25 2014, 06:22 PM) *
Hey Neil!! I'd be very, very interested to find out more, as next weekend I'm recording some acoustic covers smile.gif

Please let me know as soon as you have news wink.gif All the best and thank you in advance, mate!

What great timing!! I'll speak to him in the next couple of days and tell you what he says!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 27 2014, 11:45 AM
Instructor
Thank you very much, man! Looking forward to it!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 27 2014, 02:57 PM
I'm interested too.

I mostly familiar with a two mic set up for acoustic ...

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 27 2014, 02:58 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 27 2014, 04:13 PM
I'm meeting with him tomorrow night, so will post the info on Wednesday for you both. I had a quick chat with him last night and he was saying that he's come up with a slightly different set up to his old way, he's now incorporated a 4th Mic to pick up the Room dynamics/reverb too.
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:18 PM