> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 22: Hammer-On, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Daeron
Sep 6 2015, 05:04 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 22: Hammer-On by Bear Rose

Hello ! This is my take on this lesson that I work for a long time as an exercise for hammer-on. I would be happy to have your feeling on what I should do to improve. Thank you !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2015, 05:51 AM
Instructor
Hi Daeron!

I notice that you are getting better with this technique but there are some important things to work and have in mind during the weeks of practice.

One thing that I note is that some hammer ons are sounding weak, for example the one at 00:15. The note there is not audible so there is something to adjust there. The first thing that I would try is trying to position your thumb on a more "classical" position in order to have more strength with your left hand fingers. I mean a position like this one:

Attached Image

This will help you to do the other thing that I'll suggest to fix this, and it's tapping stronger with your third and fourth fingers. You need to tap stronger with the tips to get a fuller sound, and the thumb position is really important for it. Try it doing some "air guitar" and you'll note that it's naturally easier.

There are other legato that sound better, while others have some timing issues. However, I think that your left hand is not comfortable yet with this technique.

Please try my suggestions and let me know about how it feels.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 7 2015, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Very good point by Gabriel - with legato (hammer ons and pull offs) hand position is crutial. Sometimes we struggle and can't play things properly no matter how long we practice. This is caused by the wrong hand shape while doing some particular things/licks. Of and....even if you hear a lot of times that you should be "relaxed" while playing, keep in mind that there are some techniques that require strength and tension. Efficinet legato is one of those - especially while using clean tone or playing acoustic/classical guitar.

Other than that there are two things basicly
1. Timming - you tend to play notes a little too late (afte the beat)
2. Vibrato - not consistent - needs some more practice. Sometimes you slightly overbend the string and it goes a bit too much above the right pitch

Aside from mentioned we have a quite nice tone and not much of unwanted noises + properly tuned guitar. Those things count as well so consider your practice as not wasted smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 12 2015, 10:59 AM
Instructor
Hi there. This is a good attempt on this. Developing hammer-ons and pull-offs can be a frustrating time and let me tell you that we ALL find this difficult. Every single one of us smile.gif

You do quite a good job on this, though. You are managing to get the technique happening... you're just a bit unsteady with timing.

As you get better at the technique you should be able to concentrate on making the timing more accurate but I think that improving the hammer-on sound comes first.

At the moment, the wider stretches are difficult for you as the finger isn't able to exert as much force as it travels further away. This is common for everybody so just allow yourself enough the time to build up the strength in your fingers.

The guys suggested using a classical hand position. This could help you as well. However, I would like to point out that you don't have to use a classical hand position to use hammer-ons as there are many players that don't. I also didn't start using a classical hand position until after I learned hammer-ons so it's up to you which you find most comfortable.

You're doing a good job already, just keep doing it!

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 14 2015, 03:14 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 4.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:57 PM