10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
The Dual Collab: Student Team (cael)
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 17 2021, 04:21 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey all cool.gif

As you might have seen in the discussion about the next collaboration, we came to the idea of trying something run by Kris and a student-run collaboration that I will run. Then we can evaluate on the process as we go or afterwards. smile.gif

The thread where we discussed this collaboration process can be found here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=62530

This will be new for me too, so I hope you'll bear with me if I stumble around a bit. laugh.gif

-------------------------------

LONESOME COWBOY BLUES

Student Edition.

Chorus Section for Motif playing:Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Chorus__No_Motif_.mp3 ( 1.36MB ) Number of downloads: 1547

Free Solo Section I:Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Free_Solo_Section_A.mp3 ( 2.23MB ) Number of downloads: 1542

Free Solo Section II:Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Free_Solo_Section_B.mp3 ( 1.24MB ) Number of downloads: 1551

-----------------------------

The chords of the parts are as follows here:

Chorus:
|| D | A | Bm | D | G | Bm | F#m | A F#7 ||

Free Solo Section I:
|| Bm | Bm | A | A | G | G | D | D | Bm | Bm | F#m | F#m | G | G | Asus2 | A7 ||

Free Solo Section II:
|| A | F#m | Bm | G | A | F#m | G | A7 ||

Here are the suggested scales:
D major (B minor), B minor pentatonic and B minor blues:

-------------------

I think this will work best if we stay around the original chords and motif and stay somewhat true and close to this, but suggestions for melody lines, harmonies, vocal ideas, lyrics... they're all welcome of course. cool.gif

Here you have the tab for the motif:

Chorus motif:

Attached Image

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I will also try to provide thoughts, feedback and such as we go smile.gif

----------------------------

For reference here is the example track I posted in the discussion thread. This includes some place-holding lyrics:

----------------------------

My first request:

If someone wants to record a bass-line, that would be pretty cool. Here's the Guitar Pro file with a suggested bassline:
Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Blues_Idea.gp5 ( 36.13K ) Number of downloads: 1484

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 17 2021, 04:31 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 17 2021, 01:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Also, just wanted to add, if you want me to I'll make a final video at the end, so if you want to provide me with videos of your playing, takes and such, that could be great, but not required, as I'll figure something out regardless. It's just always pretty cool to see some playing in videos too. happy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Nov 17 2021, 06:13 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Cael

For a few days, in addition to your musical skills, I discovered your pedagogical skills

With this new concept, I think you've just joined the GMC instructor team.
Your video is great, the explanations are perfect.
Today I am on call 24 hours, I cannot test.
Tomorrow I will train on the track.

See you soon.

This post has been edited by MisterM: Nov 17 2021, 06:16 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 17 2021, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (MisterM @ Nov 17 2021, 07:13 PM) *
Hi Cael

For a few days, in addition to your musical skills, I discovered your pedagogical skills

With this new concept, I think you've just joined the GMC instructor team.
Your video is great, the explanations are perfect.
Today I am on call 24 hours, I cannot test.
Tomorrow I will train on the track.

See you soon.

That's very nice of you to say and makes me happy. I do enjoy the pedagogical side of teaching more than "just" creating material, so it's a good learning process for me too, to see what I can do and how I can help other people. So your words make me happy biggrin.gif

I have not joined the instructor team, I must add, but I just want to be able to help others and maybe trying to be more active in this way is a good thing. I have been here on GMC for more than 13 years, so I would like to give something back to the community and everything - and I feel better than I have for many years in regards to health, so that's good too. cool.gif

Take your time with the track. There is no hurry, and I don't think there is a deadline for now - at least not from my side of things. I look forward to hearing what you come up with cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 17 2021, 08:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Ban,

Any chance of the GP file for the chorus motif please? I've just been trying to notate it in GP and I can't get it to work, must be doing something wrong, I certainly can't get the six dots linked up like you in the TAB.

Cheers wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 17 2021, 08:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 17 2021, 09:35 PM) *
Hello Ban,

Any chance of the GP file for the chorus motif please? I've just been trying to notate it in GP and I can't get it to work, must be doing something wrong, I certainly can't get the six dots linked up like you in the TAB.

Cheers wink.gif

Of course! Here you go:

GP7 (Right click and save):Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Motif.gp ( 18.79K ) Number of downloads: 456

GP5: Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Motif_GP5.gp5 ( 6.37K ) Number of downloads: 466

What are the "six dots" you are trying to link up? Maybe there's a quick solution we can find for that too and look at, if you want to, while we're at it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 18 2021, 12:21 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 17 2021, 04:21 AM) *
My first request:

If someone wants to record a bass-line, that would be pretty cool. Here's the Guitar Pro file with a suggested bassline:
Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Blues_Idea.gp5 ( 36.13K ) Number of downloads: 1484

Ok, I'm on it Ben!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 18 2021, 12:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 18 2021, 01:21 AM) *
Ok, I'm on it Ben!!
biggrin.gif

Awesome, I look forward to it cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 18 2021, 10:48 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 17 2021, 07:54 PM) *
Of course! Here you go:

GP7 (Right click and save):Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Motif.gp ( 18.79K ) Number of downloads: 456

GP5: Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Motif_GP5.gp5 ( 6.37K ) Number of downloads: 466

What are the "six dots" you are trying to link up? Maybe there's a quick solution we can find for that too and look at, if you want to, while we're at it smile.gif

Thanks buddy,

The six dots on the staff (five notes on TAB). I'm not too good at GP, I still may not get be able to do what I'm thinking of but I'll try. There is a note on the tab, the first note, that is in brackets, I don't know what that is.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 18 2021, 11:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 18 2021, 11:48 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

The six dots on the staff (five notes on TAB). I'm not too good at GP, I still may not get be able to do what I'm thinking of but I'll try. There is a note on the tab, the first note, that is in brackets, I don't know what that is.

Cheers

Phil

As for the six dots:
You mean how it is tied together in the staff?
The first note is played for the duration of a quarter note and an eigth note. There are two ways to write this:
- a dotted quarter note
- or a quarter with a tie to an eigth note.
Both have the same duration, but the reason I wrote it with a tied note was to indicate where the beats were (see first post in the topic for reference on the motif tab). You play the first note on beat 1 and the next note comes in on the "and" of 2. It's one of the downfalls of many tabs and how people tab out songs, as they don't rely on the info the sheet can give, such as how notes a grouped together to indicate the "beats". They can "sound" correct enough, but can be more difficult to quickly read.

As an example here's the first bar with no indication of where the beats fall.

Attached Image

And here it is with a stronger indication of the beats. Notice how the flags of the notation tie together in groups of quarter notes. I.e. the two flags of the 8th notes are tied together.

Attached Image

EDIT: I use a shortcut (keyboard button L) for it, but in Guitar Pro 7 it is this button in the left hand menu, circled with a green color:

Attached Image

You can play around with it a bit to see what it does smile.gif

As for the bracket note:
Thanks for pointing it out. It's usually used to indicate a softer played note on the guitar. However, it was more of a creative choice of mine that I forgot to mention in the original post. I wanted to indicate that I didn't play this in the original example song I uploaded. Good spot! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 18 2021, 11:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 18 2021, 11:26 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm in

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 18 2021, 11:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 18 2021, 12:26 PM) *
I'm in

Awesome! Let me know if you have anything in mind for this or you can just throw a solo over the solo sections etc. Or maybe a harmony on the chorus motif etc. cool.gif

I look forward to hearing what you got cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 18 2021, 11:38 AM
Learning Roadie
I'll attempt some pedal steel, it's kind of asking for it

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Nov 18 2021, 11:39 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 18 2021, 12:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 18 2021, 12:38 PM) *
I'll attempt some pedal steel, it's kind of asking for it

Oh, that's a really great call! I like that idea! I didn't know you played that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 18 2021, 01:11 PM
Learning Roadie
I wouldn't say I play it yet, I do own one though laugh.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 18 2021, 01:18 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 18 2021, 10:10 AM) *
As for the six dots:
You mean how it is tied together in the staff?
The first note is played for the duration of a quarter note and an eigth note. There are two ways to write this:
- a dotted quarter note
- or a quarter with a tie to an eigth note.
Both have the same duration, but the reason I wrote it with a tied note was to indicate where the beats were (see first post in the topic for reference on the motif tab). You play the first note on beat 1 and the next note comes in on the "and" of 2. It's one of the downfalls of many tabs and how people tab out songs, as they don't rely on the info the sheet can give, such as how notes a grouped together to indicate the "beats". They can "sound" correct enough, but can be more difficult to quickly read.

As an example here's the first bar with no indication of where the beats fall.

Attached Image

And here it is with a stronger indication of the beats. Notice how the flags of the notation tie together in groups of quarter notes. I.e. the two flags of the 8th notes are tied together.

Attached Image

EDIT: I use a shortcut (keyboard button L) for it, but in Guitar Pro 7 it is this button in the left hand menu, circled with a green color:

Attached Image

You can play around with it a bit to see what it does smile.gif

As for the bracket note:
Thanks for pointing it out. It's usually used to indicate a softer played note on the guitar. However, it was more of a creative choice of mine that I forgot to mention in the original post. I wanted to indicate that I didn't play this in the original example song I uploaded. Good spot! cool.gif

Thanks for the explanation Ben smile.gif Yeah I know how to do a tied note, it was the note lengths that got me, I was just pressing and guessing and getting nowhere laugh.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 18 2021, 02:51 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I’m in. 🙂 I’m not exactly sure which part I’ll contribute yet. Nice job on the presentation and song!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 18 2021, 03:40 PM
Learning Rock Star

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 18 2021, 03:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2021, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
This is very very well put together. Super congrats on that!! I think it's gonna be awesome smile.gif Count me in!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 18 2021, 09:43 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 17 2021, 07:54 PM) *
Of course! Here you go:

Just for the record, the GP7 file won't download in Brave, in Firefox a left click is all that's needed then you get the option to open or save, Chrome it's a right click and Edge is a right click. I know most users will know their browser but some new comers might not.

Thanks for this Ben cool.gif

Here's what I was thinking. I'm not applying any musical theory, (I don't know a lot), I've just approached it how I would on my guitar, I just wanted to put it out there in GP for the time being until I get chance to record it.

I think when I record it I will add a slightly distorted sound, not sure yet. As said, I don't even know if it's musically correct.

Attached File  Lonesome_Cowboy_Motif_Phil.gp ( 15.71K ) Number of downloads: 349

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 18 2021, 09:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:02 PM