Usb Audio Interfase, what should I buy?????
Vasilis
May 23 2008, 11:47 AM
GMC:er
I ve been thinking to buy a new audio card so I can record my guitar in my pc. I found this one by tascam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baW5jIOPp68
has anyone tried it?
any suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 11:52 AM
Toneport UX2. Simple answer. Easy, affordable and great outcomes. Great interface with modeled amps and just incredible versatility and reliability.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
May 23 2008, 11:55 AM
Instructor
USB is to slow for audio application, if you can afford it I'll suggest at least a firewire one like the M-audio Delta series, the entry level is the dealta audiophile

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 11:57 AM
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ May 23 2008, 11:55 AM) *
USB is to slow for audio application, if you can afford it I'll suggest at least a firewire one like the M-audio Delta series, the entry level is the dealta audiophile

I find USB recording fine. No problem whatsoever with delay on the Toneport UX2. You play and when you play it doesn't lag. I think it's well worth the money and you can get great results.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 23 2008, 11:58 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Before making any recommendations can you tell us a bit more about what you need in terms of number and types of inputs and outputs mate and also a price range?

Tascam are generally a good brand btw and reasonable value for money but not usually the cheapest. One thing I would however suggest you do is check out any user forums here to see if they have posted any known issues with the Recording Software/s that you'll use.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
May 23 2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 23 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Before making any recommendations can you tell us a bit more about what you need in terms of number and types of inputs and outputs mate and also a price range?

Tascam are generally a good brand btw and reasonable value for money but not usually the cheapest. One thing I would however suggest you do is check out any user forums here to see if they have posted any known issues with the Recording Software/s that you'll use.

Cheers,
Tony

Right ! smile.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Vasilis
May 23 2008, 12:37 PM
what I want is pretty simple actually
I just want to record my guitar in cubase. So im not looking for something with many audio inputs outputs and the price range around 200- 250 euros
btw OrganisedConfusion toneport seems exactly for what I m searching, thanks man

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 12:39 PM
If you don't need to record vocals you can just go for the toneport GX which is great but only 1 guitar input. I got the UX2 just incase I wanted the added features. You don't have to. It's still a high quality device. Check out GX, UX1 and UX2 models and you wont be disappointed smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 12:39 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Toneport UX2 is great device...If you have a great multieffects modeling unit though you may not need it much and you can go for other interfaces that don't come with software for amp/speaker modeling..
My best guess is toneport for now, don't need the ux2 model , they all do the same just depends how many inputs , outputs you need.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 12:40 PM
It's basically Guitar -> Toneport -> Gearbox (Great modeling amp program) -> Cubase

Couldn't be simpler smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 12:43 PM
Just be aware that line6 (toneport) don't have driver support for Vista 64bit (and win xp 64bit version)..So if you have a 64bit based operating system you'll have problems..But drivers are in development and they will get out soon ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilis
May 23 2008, 12:48 PM
I agree
I also own a line 6 POD xt-live so thats another plus
Bogdan thanks but I'm an XP user and hopefully I'll keep working with XP for years to come

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah thats good choice , I was on Vista 64bit and nothing was working so I went back to XP 32bit and everything is cool now wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 23 2008, 01:22 PM
Instructor
If its just guitar these guys have given good reference for products.

Just yesterday i went and bought an Edirol PC-80 midi controller Keyboard. Orginally i was going to get an M-Audio midi controller. But when i saw this for the same price i couldnt pass it up. Not only is it a midi controller it also doubles as a USB audio interface so i can bypass my crappy onboard soundcard.

I have always been a big Roland fan this makes me even more of one. Its also the first time i got a better deal at Sam Ash music store then Musicians friend lol.

The controller at Musicians friend is 300 bucks and i got it for 190 dollars at Sam ash.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 23 2008, 01:52 PM
Instructor
tonport is a good choice.if you asking me i dont use any thing from these
i have my preamp tube connected to PC soundblaster card and sonar 6 for recording

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 23 2008, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Toneport is good device and definitely recommend. USB is definitely not too slow for audio apps, there are many useful USB interfaces that will give you reasonable quality in the price range.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 23 2008, 03:11 PM
I was looking into recording a couple of months ago. There's a thread in the Gear forum somewhere where I went into more detail.

I bought the Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface for $160US at B&H.

I didn't want to go into the POD/Toneport/Pandora route because I didn't want to get something that was so limiting...I wanted an audio interface more than a guitar interface. I didn't want to only record guitar and I didn't want to only be able to record guitar (I know the bigger Toneports have extra inputs) and I didn't want to just get my tone from software.

The Satellite gives me the flexibility I was looking for. It can record two channels at once. It has guitar-level inputs so I can direct-in and run through Guitar Rig if I wanted to. It has line level inputs and XLR inputs with phantom power. I can hook up a pair of mics and get a close cabinet track from any amp and a separate track with room sound in it if I want...or get a closeup mic on the strings...or mic both speakers if I'm using a cab with differnt kinds of speakers in it. I can undock it and it'll run on the power from the firewire port and I can take it and the laptop and record anywhere. It also has a little "control room" mic on the base that I can use to mark my recordings without setting up a third mic (record a bit, push a button and say what the next section's for and it'll go into the recording). It has 8 output channels too.

I did have to buy a mic to do what I want with it and I should buy another one. So I guess I'm down $260 so far for recording gear, and probably going to spend another $100 on another mic, but I think it's worth it for the flexibility since I'm not going to be only doing guitar stuff.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 04:10 PM
Great recommendation Scott! Looks like a really cool device..
Though I don't find toneport limiting (I have ux2) for guitar recording only..I find its software simulations etc only a + for it..It has two xlr inputs , two Line inputs , two guitar inputs...And it can record two channels simultaneously though on not every combination of inputs there is on it (can't record two guitar inputs at the same time) but other combination work...I used it for lot of mic recording , voice stuff etc..So you pretty much can record anything with it , as with any other recording interface..You can easily kill all software simulations and use the dry signal.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kyldeee
May 23 2008, 04:14 PM
Korg Pandora PX5D, Awesome device... smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
May 23 2008, 04:29 PM
Instructor
hi, here i left you another...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIYjbx5DbQ

cheack it out, this is a tutorial video from the Fast Track Pro

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:29 AM