2 Pages V  < 1 2  
How Do You Keep Yourself Motivated?
The Uncreator
Mar 16 2007, 01:43 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah Live DVD's are awesome, most of the time i cant watch all of them unless its my first time, i usually end up picking up the 'ol axe about 3/4 through

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edgor67
Mar 16 2007, 03:19 AM
GMC:er
It's kind of like Golf. No one is gonna give me a 7 figure check for playing so its the good shots that keep me coming back. I work long hours. I practice a minimum of 1 hour a night. I make myself go to the basement and jam. If I feel good I go longer but fatigue fades in sice my alarm goes off at 0400. By 2100 I'm fading fast. I get practice in between 1830 and 2100. I practice scales 20min, improvise the beginner lcks, practice speed picking 20 minutes, try something new or keep practicing the licks. It depends on how I feel. I'm working on stra cat strut and a piece of Eruption. I've been playing 5 months now since a 24 year break. I still see progress. It will be slow. Progress is good even if it is slow. Inspiration comes when you get tickets to see Joe Satriani or Dick Dale or your favorite guitarist. Consider these field trips. I actually found myself blues riffing through 3 pentatonic boxes tonight. And you know what the good book says... blues riffing begets shredding. ROCK ON and SHRED AWAY! g

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Mar 16 2007, 10:59 AM
For me it's my band that keeps me motivated. I'm not very good, or very experienced, and I'm in a 4 piece metal band. I take it pretty seriously, which means I have to take my practicing seriously.

I think my problems could better be defined as staying focus, than staying motivated. I should spend a month working on X scale over a metronome. Or on interesting progy sounding metal chords out of the drop D tuning(like opeth).

Instead, I spend a little bit of time on speed, a little bit of time on scales, a little time trying to write new riffs, a little time on timing, a little time on ear training.

If I'd focus on any one thing at a time, I'm sure I'd get better quicker. But I always end up feeling like there's so many things I need to improve, quickly, that I remain unfocused.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Mar 16 2007, 09:56 PM
ive been playing for about a year or so, but only like a few months of actually learning something.until i found GMC that is.ive made more progress in a few weeks than like 8 months basically.i really wish i had found this site earlier so i could have learned something back when i just started.i'd be way better than i am now... sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 16 2007, 11:46 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well ive been playing 4.5 years and this site still helps me alot, and i just got on it, so since you got on WAY Earlier than me, you should be doing alot better than, say, if you waited as long as i did. So just keep in mind with the help of GMC, In say 3 years, you could be shredding it up like someone whos been playing 10.

+Quote Post
beebo
Mar 17 2007, 05:30 PM
I don't know why but when i learn something that sounds cool but not too hard sometimes I get excited and everything and just start tapping and play extremely fast but when I'm not motivated and my fingers are frozen from snow all the time mad.gif I can't seem to play as fast. So do something great that u love besides guitar and then practice and tell me what u think. It can even be w/ ur family members. Just have serious fun blink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel
Mar 18 2007, 05:00 PM
I often have days where my fingers just wont cooperate, and the sound coming out of the amp sounds like crap. I then get the feeling that playing the guitar will never work out for me.. But after a some hours of constant practising, i suddenly realise my finger work better than ever before. That feeling is what keeps me on track!

Live DVD's also is a must for me! happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 18 2007, 10:13 PM
I try to stay motivated by forcing myself to practice everything I can't do for half the day, then I learn and play through all the songs that are possible for my skill level.

For example, today I'm practicing speed picking, tapping, sweep picking, legato, vibrato, and finger strength building exercises. When my practice session is over, I would never dream (yet) of trying to play something by Steve Vai. I practice the techniques to eventually be able to play like that, but it's nowhere close to my abilities right now, and it's obvious I have years of practice ahead of me. THAT is discouraging!

So instead, I play stuff that I know I can play. AC/DC, ZZ Top, Foreigner, Def Leppard, BB King, Journey... you know, stuff like that. It's not the most technically advanced set list ever, but it proves (to me at least, because I like Classic Rock) that I'm not that bad of a guitarist either.

I never stay satisfied with my abilities, and I always work on improving my technique, but it's nice to put some perspective on things and be able to say "Oh yeah, I could probably play that song off that 15x platinum album that band released in the late 70's. It doesn't sound that hard."

+Quote Post
Nakzo
Mar 19 2007, 03:44 AM
i love music, i love guitar and if i dont practice every day i cant be a good musician, and i realy wanna be a pro musician, so i think in this and its motivaded me tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you dont like heavy metal, well, fuck you" KAI HANSEN
"The reason of why the guitar is better than woman, is that the guitar speak when i want" Steve siro vai

+Quote Post
Gren
Mar 19 2007, 04:20 AM
Man! So many reasons! The main ones being that I love hearing shred guitar, and I love metal. Just thinking that I'll be able to play that someday is enough motovation. Another big reason is because...well, I hate school, and if me playing guitar in a band, or as an instructor one day will earn me a living, I'll take it over anything.

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Mar 19 2007, 04:42 AM
Wow. great responses. I agree with all of them. I struggle with this problem also. All I can say is constaly encourage yourself. remember all these guys like Vai, Satraini, Petrucci ect...They started just like we did, and they didnt have GMC biggrin.gif . So never give up and stay encouraged and commmitted to pratice....

This post has been edited by chainsbroken: Mar 19 2007, 04:43 AM

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 19 2007, 08:19 PM
Lets go fishing!
watch a few Paul Gilbert vids on youtube, that will keep you going!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:30 AM