Have you ever performed on open mic night?
bricktop
Nov 6 2006, 05:19 PM
GMC:er
I bring this up because in my town there's a coffeehouse that on Wednesday night they have a sign for open mic. I went in on friday night and they have a nice little stage where a girl was playing acoustic guitar. I live in a small town, that has a private college, so it's pretty busy.
I'd like to try it out, but I'm a little apprehensive for several reasons. I'm quite a bit older than the college crowd for one,(I'm 35 with two kids), and I'm a California boy who transferred to a small town for my job so I don't really know too many local people other than co-workers, which none of them are musicians.
Anyway, enough of my anxieties, have any of you gotten up there and played live? How was your experience? How many songs did you sing/play?? Did they help you get set up?? Mic check, guitar, etc...

John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bricktop: Nov 6 2006, 05:21 PM

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Nov 6 2006, 07:01 PM
I've done it, I dont get too uptight in most venues. Sometimes there is a very helpful, supportive and encouraging fellow helping to get you set up. Sometimes it's every man for him self, and (rarely) you will come across someone that is very un[b]helpful. This happens in rare occaisions when someone is resentful, wants to be the best, and doesnt like to share the stage.
It's only open mic night, you only have to do one song, or 2 or 3. -people expect some amatuers. Its a great way to get some stage exposure and build your confidence!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Nov 6 2006, 08:18 PM
I’m a beginner, so I haven’t performed anything before, but that sounds like it could be fun. Just don’t let it stress you out! Remember that you don’t have to do it. If you choose to do it, then do so for fun and enjoyment, not to try to win the approval of a crowd.

+Quote Post
Nick
Nov 7 2006, 01:24 AM
I do fairly often. This summer I taught half of a mini-camp "Online to Onstage" with David from guitarnoise. We took people who had never played onstage and walked them through the whole thing, culminating in a live coffeehouse performance. It was great. I did the singing/phrasing/performance anxiety part.

So my rules of thumb?

Learn your stuff
try not to be too flashy
say hello and thank you when you finish
pick something you think the audience will like, not something you do necessarily
get there 20 minutes early
take an extra cable, 9 volt battery and strings
don't drink alcohol before you perform
have fun

+Quote Post
bricktop
Nov 7 2006, 02:33 AM
Hey Nick,

I thought you looked familiar! I recognized you from guitarnoise, one of my favorite sites when I first started out. I always enjoyed yours and David's articles. What a small world this online guitar community can be. smile.gif
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go soon!

John Kline

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Nick
Nov 7 2006, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the kind words John.

It is a small world isn't it?

+Quote Post
This Dougs For U
Nov 10 2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah I have once before. Me and the bassist/singer in my band got up their with acoustics to play a couple originals, and everlong by the foo fighters, and black by pearl jam. It was alot of fun. We were kinda nervous, but the songs were real easy, and we did fine.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/autumnriseband

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 11 2006, 11:21 AM
GMC Founder
Yes it's a very inspiring thing to do - perfect for someone who hasn't got a band together but want's to get a feel for a gig. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:06 AM