Misha Mansoor On "tightening" Your Bass Flub
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2014, 08:16 PM
GMC:er
Here is Misha from Periphery talking about how to get rid of some of the inherent "flub" (e.g. unwanted exaggerated bass boominess that kills the tightness of your gain) of a PEAVEY 5150 style head.

This head and it's children are used non stop for METAL. Sadly, as with all tube amps, the bottom end saturates at a much lower point than mids and highs and you get "flub". Boofy/boomy bass that has no "tightness" at all. The easy fix, use a Tube Screamer! Or something similar which actually reduced the amount of bass getting to the amp.

So it's like using a parametric eq in a way, which we've also talkd about. The bass frequencies tend to "bunch up" under high gain so making them behave is crucial. Unless you are playing SLUDGE/DOOM. smile.gif

To wit....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 21 2014, 10:09 AM
Instructor
Nice! Thanks for the tip, mate!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 21 2014, 04:41 PM
Instructor
Actually I was expecting to find something more surprising. But I do agree that sometimes think that obvious need also an explanation for the "Young players nation". I think that 5150 has already a kilelr amount of attack and tight bassconsidering it was designed when 6-string guitars were "on the hype" smile.gif That's also probably one of many reasons for misunderstanding how different is tone match for standard tuning and drop tuning. Some people get presets mad e for 7 string guitar and launch it on 6 string. What was nice bottom and warm mids, becomes harsh and weak in the low end.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2014, 10:15 AM
Instructor
Good point here mate smile.gif That's why I think that tone presets aren't to be left just like they are, when being used for various setups. I mean, if you use the same tone preset on an AXE FX for instance, on an active pickup guitar and then on a passive pickup guitar, there will clearly be differences, which can be diminished, if you use your ears and adapt the tone to the new environment.

About 10 years ago, I was stubbornly refusing to believe that tone can be achieved if you listen and explore the possibilities - I thought there is a magic formula, of course smile.gif Took me about 8 years to finally accept there's no formula but only what your ears tell you.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 22 2014, 07:19 PM
Instructor
In case of the tone I'm an old-chool type of guy smile.gif I buy and amp with a few knobs....not even double channel ...usually. I might not like it at first but I never give up on it just ater first impression. I take it to the gigs and rehersals I make some recording. We become friends...then it often become to be love biggrin.gif Personally I do not like what boosters do to the amp. (I do sin to use them sometimes as well...does not make me free from what I say). I like it to stay natural - even for high gain ripping smile.gif but of course it refers to 6-string, regular tuning. A lot extended guitars really do have that "floby" sound without a boost so I do understand a usage of treble boosting. Althought I usually try to search for an instrument which is an opposite to what we will use it for. Example. Low tune = bright guitar, thin and bright not high output pickups. It's like trying to compensate a loss of treble caused by the tuning mode and keep the amp react like it would be with a 6-string guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 23 2014, 06:50 PM
Instructor
Does the baritone enter the same cathegory? Even if it has 6 strings? I think it does, as it covers low registers exclusively smile.gif Frankly, I haven't used the booster with Days of Confusion lately, but also, I don't use a lot of gain. Our 'big' sound comes from the fact that we are usually playing riffs as panned (two guitars play the same riff - one on left and one on right) while the third, plays themes or ambient pieces.

+Quote Post
gnarkill
Dec 23 2014, 08:21 PM
I find this interesting! This actually answers a question I had but didnt know how to word. I am trying to get better at setting my tones and learning what everything does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 24 2014, 11:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 23 2014, 07:21 PM) *
I find this interesting! This actually answers a question I had but didnt know how to word. I am trying to get better at setting my tones and learning what everything does.

It's a neverending quest, mate smile.gif What do you use to achieve tone at the current moment?

+Quote Post
gnarkill
Dec 24 2014, 06:21 PM
All I have right now is my Line 6 Spider 4 amp which has a surprising amount of versatility. However I wish it had more, which is why I am thinking about picking up a POD HD500x.

I also have a Digitexh Metal Master stomp box, but that is never used, the sounds from my modulation amp are just as good without the hassle.

This guy from the video explained my problem, but I unfortunatly can't dial it in with my tones. Is there another way to achieve what he is referencing just thru my settings?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2014, 09:05 PM
You can get the same effect by using a cheap $35 JOYO overdrive pedal or any cheap overdrive pedal based on a TUBE SCREAMER smile.gif The pedal he is using is also based on the tube screamer. Distortion pedals don't work as well for this but any decent overdrive pedal will do the trick for under $50.

Merry xmas!

Todd

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 24 2014, 01:21 PM) *
All I have right now is my Line 6 Spider 4 amp which has a surprising amount of versatility. However I wish it had more, which is why I am thinking about picking up a POD HD500x.

I also have a Digitexh Metal Master stomp box, but that is never used, the sounds from my modulation amp are just as good without the hassle.

This guy from the video explained my problem, but I unfortunatly can't dial it in with my tones. Is there another way to achieve what he is referencing just thru my settings?

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Dec 24 2014, 09:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm not a drop tune riffer, but I am thinking about incorporating it in a few songs I'm writing. What I've noticed out of my own amp so far is that moderate to heavy gain settings don't really give me any flub - clean tones, however, do! So experimenting with all sorts of things including a good compressor. This thread is rather timely for me smile.gif

Chris!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 26 2014, 04:20 PM
Learning Roadie
I find it hard to get 8 string tones as it seems the eight string has a different sound than the other seven strings. My eighth string sounds kind of like a log.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2014, 04:25 PM
Instructor
Well, if you are to ask me, nothing beats Todd's suggestion price wise, but I haven't ever tried the Joyo. I know for certain that these following pedals will do the trick:

.. but price wise, they are a bit more costly.

I haven't used the POD to be honest, but once Gabriel Leopardi will be back from his vacation, I think he can tell you things about the PD HD, as he has used it out of what I can remember.

+Quote Post
gnarkill
Dec 26 2014, 06:13 PM
And to be honest, that is where I first had the idea of getting a Pod HD500 was because of Gabriel. I looked like an awesome device.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 26 2014, 09:16 PM
If you buy a copy of this months Computer Music magazine they are giving away a free copy of Audio Assault's new 'Grindmachine' Amp/Cab sim.

smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Dec 26 2014, 10:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I actually purchased the Misha Overdrive this Christmas. Hoping to have it in the next 5-6 weeks at best! Either way, I'm willing to wait. Protone makes killer products.

Great share! Misha is full of good little tips and tricks. I greatly enjoy watching his recording videos. They've opened up some new doors for me!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 27 2014, 09:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 26 2014, 05:13 PM) *
And to be honest, that is where I first had the idea of getting a Pod HD500 was because of Gabriel. I looked like an awesome device.

Ah, I see smile.gif Well then, go ahead and ask him about it when he returns - I am sure he can offer great advice on this device as he has it a long time now, out of what I know.

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Dec 26 2014, 09:39 PM) *
I actually purchased the Misha Overdrive this Christmas. Hoping to have it in the next 5-6 weeks at best! Either way, I'm willing to wait. Protone makes killer products.

Great share! Misha is full of good little tips and tricks. I greatly enjoy watching his recording videos. They've opened up some new doors for me!

I've only heard great things about the Pro Tone pedals, but I never got the chance to try one smile.gif Looking forward to hear about your experience wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 08:35 AM
BINGO!!! smile.gif The 8th string is actually a BASS string so it sounds like a BASS guitar through a distortion pedal quite often.

The trick with 8 strings guitars is often to back off on the distortion quite a bit and then layer the guitars when recording. E.G> Double or quad tracking. smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 26 2014, 11:20 AM) *
I find it hard to get 8 string tones as it seems the eight string has a different sound than the other seven strings. My eighth string sounds kind of like a log.

THe waiting time is rough!!! smile.gif I bought the MISHA drive last year and it was pretty darn killer!!! But yeah it took MONTHS to show up. He actually came up with the next revision of the pedal while I was waiting and upgraded me.

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Dec 26 2014, 05:39 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 09:11 AM
I CAN"T STAND IT ANYMORE!!! I went ahead and ordered another one of the BULB DELUXE Pedals. I sold mine to get my ELEVEN RACK and I've missed it ever since!!! It was just a freaking sweet pedal. Really made everything sound better. I put down my money and should have one in 6 months or so........ the waiting!!!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 6 2015, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 6 2015, 08:11 AM) *
I CAN"T STAND IT ANYMORE!!! I went ahead and ordered another one of the BULB DELUXE Pedals. I sold mine to get my ELEVEN RACK and I've missed it ever since!!! It was just a freaking sweet pedal. Really made everything sound better. I put down my money and should have one in 6 months or so........ the waiting!!!

Attached Image

Good choice mate smile.gif Since I'm getting the Kemper, I don't think that this would be a smart investment for me.. would it? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:09 PM