Pod Xt Live And Recording
bmh1109
Aug 16 2007, 03:26 AM
GMC:er
Im seriously considering getting a pod xt live since I just can't make up my mind on amps and I want to record stuff. Now my question is more about the PODs usb interface. Does the usb connection only work for modifying patches and such on the computer or can you actually send your audio signal to the computer via this usb port? And if this is so, could this sort of interface be used in conjuntion with somthing like Riffworks to record on my PC. So I would have all of the pods models and effects in conjunction with those included with the program.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
graaf33
Aug 16 2007, 04:09 AM
yes

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 16 2007, 04:30 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (graaf33 @ Aug 15 2007, 11:09 PM) *
yes

Yes!

But you have to record your guitar wet (e.g. with all the effects on it) unless you want to fork out for Gearbox VST, then you can record your guitar with no effects and use Gearbox to tweak it afterwards.

Without the Gearbox plugin you can still record your guitar dry, but you would have to use a different set of effects on it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Aug 16 2007, 04:33 AM
so basically I'd have to dial my sound in on the POD and then use that alone in the recording. Still not a bad idea i guess since the POD has so much stuff you can do. Thanks for the replies guys.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Aug 16 2007, 05:00 AM
Hmm that sounds strange Andrew. Even though I don't have my PodXT anymore, I could record a dry signal with it and then reamp it through the podxt if I wanted. There was special settings for it in the control panel for the pod if I'm not mistaken.

I don't remember how it's done but you can send a dry signal to the pod for reamping purposes through the USB connection. Seems really strange that they would have removed this feature. Anyways, you can also use Amplitube or Guitar rig 2 to reamp a dry recorded signal if you want.

/Marcus

This post has been edited by Smurkas: Aug 16 2007, 05:00 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 16 2007, 05:29 AM
QUOTE (Smurkas @ Aug 16 2007, 12:00 AM) *
Hmm that sounds strange Andrew. Even though I don't have my PodXT anymore, I could record a dry signal with it and then reamp it through the podxt if I wanted. There was special settings for it in the control panel for the pod if I'm not mistaken.

I don't remember how it's done but you can send a dry signal to the pod for reamping purposes through the USB connection. Seems really strange that they would have removed this feature. Anyways, you can also use Amplitube or Guitar rig 2 to reamp a dry recorded signal if you want.
/Marcus

Interesting - I never saw that you could do that - although you can always reamp the old fashioned way with a spare output and input pair.

Perhaps it used to be possible but they removed the ability so they could sell their $300 Gearbox plugin?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 16 2007, 05:51 AM
Instructor
Now when we are on the subject of Line 6 and patches... i'm seriously thinking about getting Line 6 HD147 head. It's like a head with all the Line 6 effects and patches built in! You can connect the head to your PC and use a Line 6 to edit each preset - it's crazy! There is also an awesome foot controller which allows full control of the head!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Aug 16 2007, 07:27 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 16 2007, 12:51 AM) *
Now when we are on the subject of Line 6 and patches... i'm seriously thinking about getting Line 6 HD147 head. It's like a head with all the Line 6 effects and patches built in! You can connect the head to your PC and use a Line 6 to edit each preset - it's crazy! There is also an awesome foot controller which allows full control of the head!

So its like a pod xt live/pro built into the the amp head already, sounds awesome/expensive. I looked into the vetta II series combo amps and they are really more then i wanna spend on an amp right now. It would be a killer option though if its in your price range

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2007, 08:23 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 15 2007, 10:29 PM) *
Interesting - I never saw that you could do that - although you can always reamp the old fashioned way with a spare output and input pair.

Perhaps it used to be possible but they removed the ability so they could sell their $300 Gearbox plugin?

Sorry guys for butting in - don't have a podxt - but this is one hell of a difference in the ability to record - and I think that's the jist of Andrew's and Smurkas' dialogue here but its worth emphasis . Personally I'd much rather record dry and then add effects after to the recorded take as and how I want with the ability to remove cleanly from the master take (yadda yadda yadda). Record wet and it's really hard to remove after the date... Even at 300USD if you don't have might be an essential if you want to record a lot with this hardware...
Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 16 2007, 08:54 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 16 2007, 03:23 AM) *
Sorry guys for butting in - don't have a podxt - but this is one hell of a difference in the ability to record - and I think that's the jist of Andrew's and Smurkas' dialogue here but its worth emphasis . Personally I'd much rather record dry and then add effects after to the recorded take as and how I want with the ability to remove cleanly from the master take (yadda yadda yadda). Record wet and it's really hard to remove after the date... Even at 300USD if you don't have might be an essential if you want to record a lot with this hardware...
Cheers,
Tony

Yes, good points, I totally agree - which is why I forked out the $300 for the plugin ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2007, 09:00 AM
Absolutely Andrew.

If it's not too pushy/provocative would people still see the hardware as such great value for money IF they know in advance that they need to pay the 300USD to do this for recording? (OK I'm just being provocative but it is a hell of a price hike imo blink.gif )

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 16 2007, 09:47 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 16 2007, 04:00 AM) *
Absolutely Andrew.

If it's not too pushy/provocative would people still see the hardware as such great value for money IF they know in advance that they need to pay the 300USD to do this for recording? (OK I'm just being provocative but it is a hell of a price hike imo blink.gif )

Cheers,
Tony

I agree - I was annoyed to have to buy essentially the same DSP code twice - once in the pod and once in the VST but it suited how I wanted to work. Its a ripoff though, you even have to have the pod as a dongle or it wont load up sad.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Aug 16 2007, 09:52 AM
ouch $700 to make it a decent recording setup, line 6 better be glad you can do a bunch of other stuff with the pod xt live to make it worth that kinda dough.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2007, 09:55 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 16 2007, 02:47 AM) *
I agree - I was annoyed to have to buy essentially the same DSP code twice - once in the pod and once in the VST but it suited how I wanted to work. Its a ripoff though, you even have to have the pod as a dongle or it wont load up sad.gif

And god I hate dongles - synchrosoft or otherwise. I've got to a point where I'm starting to avoid some software if it uses a dongle for verification Andrew - it's one reason why I've started to move away from Cubase and more to Live! and Reaper. I've got too many usb devices as it is and really don't need a dongle taking up room - and I keep losing the damn things ohmy.gif . (Beware Cubase line if you lose the dongle - buy the software again. Ouch - I spent a very frantic 3 days searching for mine recently because my little girl hid it for a laugh rolleyes.gif )

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 16 2007, 04:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Aug 16 2007, 08:27 AM) *
So its like a pod xt live/pro built into the the amp head already, sounds awesome/expensive. I looked into the vetta II series combo amps and they are really more then i wanna spend on an amp right now. It would be a killer option though if its in your price range

It's not expensive at all comparing to other amps!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lin...Head?sku=482195

Check it out!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Aug 16 2007, 04:16 PM
Im readin some bad reviews on it

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Aug 16 2007, 04:42 PM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Aug 16 2007, 04:26 AM) *
Im seriously considering getting a pod xt live since I just can't make up my mind on amps and I want to record stuff. Now my question is more about the PODs usb interface. Does the usb connection only work for modifying patches and such on the computer or can you actually send your audio signal to the computer via this usb port? And if this is so, could this sort of interface be used in conjuntion with somthing like Riffworks to record on my PC. So I would have all of the pods models and effects in conjunction with those included with the program.

Hi

I used to own a POD XT live and i was able to record via the usb. Windows just detecs the podxt as a midi interface so in the program you use to record you can just use the pod xt as your recording interface.

I nice to have is that you can still out put from the pod xt strait to an normal amp ( as a monitor ) while you are recording.

Easy way to test this is to download the trial version of riffworks from their site and play around. Riffworks line6 edition will automaticly just work with the pod xt.

Good luck and enjoy

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Aug 17 2007, 07:17 AM
If you have to buy Gearbox nowadays to get that feature then Guitar rig 2 is definately a better buy. It's the hardware I'm using right now and I think the guitar sounds in Guitar rig 2 are much better overall compared to the PodXT. You get a foot board with switches and an expression pedal. with a built in soundcard Then you can run that either through the Guitar Rig software or anything else you might want to.

I myself run it through Guitar rig 2, Amplitube 2 and Ampeg SVX for the bass, all with great results soundwise. The drivers for the board are really good so I haven't had any latency problems whatsoever. It costs about 450$ in Sweden, I don't know what it costs anywhere else but definately worth a look if you want to record. It always records a dry signal too so if you change your mind then a new sound is only a knob away.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 17 2007, 07:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mark Schiewe @ Aug 16 2007, 05:16 PM) *
Im readin some bad reviews on it

Bad reviews on what? HD147 or POD?

I saw a HD147 home test today on YouTube and sounds are amazing! Also there are so many great bands using that amp that i have no doubts about the quality of the amp!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 17 2007, 12:16 PM
Can I make a suggestion?

A Pod isn't going to record vocals, drums, bass, etc...

I'd recommend a mixing board interface that takes mic's then just put a good instrument mic in front of your amp and have at it. This will also allow you to record other musicians and compile your own demo's.

Here is a link to an mp3 from my friends new band. It was recorded this way in his garage. You'd never know it. He's the one playing the clean jazz/modern lead throughout.

Demo

Not only does this song sound awesome but they were able to do multi-tracking to give it a polished sound.

P.S. - Lemme know what you think of the MP3 so I can let my bud know!

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:33 AM