11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Gmc For Free?
swingline
Jan 2 2008, 03:11 AM
GMC:er
There isn't way too much learning on the free sites.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by swingline: Jan 2 2008, 03:11 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 2 2008, 09:42 AM
GMC Founder
Fantastic debate here! biggrin.gif

I like the idea of offering a few completely free lessons!

I don't like the idea of removing the free system we got though (with one or two free video per lesson) - at least not for now!

When I started working with instructional websites all the content I offered was free - what fascinated me was the possibility to reach out to hundreds of guitarists (and later on thousands!). Unfortunately it struck me that there are limitations to the free format - for instance we could never have 25 instructors providing quality material if it weren't for the member fee (as pointed out).

So - I still want our website to have continuous value for non-paying members. This is both a business strategy - but also a way to get more visitors (although most are "free" visitors). We want GMC to attract awesome instructors not only thanks to the comission we are paying - but also because being in the top three spots on gmc start page means getting a lot of people listening to the instructors music and watching their videos! biggrin.gif

After all, that is why I started doing this - the business part of it came much later. smile.gif The brain-eating started yesterday wink.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 2 2008, 11:05 AM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Jan 1 2008, 06:58 PM) *
mmmmmmmmm brains biggrin.gif

HAHAHA! My kind of humor.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 2 2008, 11:16 AM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Jan 1 2008, 07:23 PM) *
Secondly:
Why to push him there (corner)?:-P Its his opinion, and there is NO NEED for him, to say "Sorry guys.. my fault" for thinking something different - he is not forcing anyone, to do anything. He just asked for clarification:
"What are the free Solo/Lead and rhytm lessons?" "Lick of the day? Or previews? Or those free green parts of lessons?."
GMC is open minded and straight society, he can think and ask w/e he wants;). Listen or be deaf;) This is your choice:)
ate it.. GMC still rules:-D

+1
I understand, and agree somewhat, on Constie's point, and if I didn't that would be reason enough for him to voice it.
To me it's a misleading way of advertising but that's how advertising goes. They are ment to catch your attention. I haven't noticed the "Free" GMC ads before simply because I'm ad-blind. People are so fed with commercials that they don't notice them anymore. The ad business have started to note that, so expect sneakier (more annoying) ads in a future close to you.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Jan 2 2008, 12:03 PM
Kris - The site can of course use both the free system it has now together with a free lessons section. I think a free lessons section would attract more business and it would be easier for newcomers looking to get an idea about what the site is all about.

Right now a new visitor can of course click any lesson and get that small preview but that isn't really explained anywhere. I know I myself asked myself the very question that started this when I visited the site the first time (that was waaaaay back).

A free section would also give you the chance to specifically target new comers with yout content. They can get an introduction to the site and how it works etc. etc.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 2 2008, 12:11 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Smurkas @ Jan 2 2008, 11:03 AM) *
Kris - The site can of course use both the free system it has now together with a free lessons section. I think a free lessons section would attract more business and it would be easier for newcomers looking to get an idea about what the site is all about.

Right now a new visitor can of course click any lesson and get that small preview but that isn't really explained anywhere. I know I myself asked myself the very question that started this when I visited the site the first time (that was waaaaay back).

A free section would also give you the chance to specifically target new comers with yout content. They can get an introduction to the site and how it works etc. etc.
/Marcus

Great idea!

Just by choosing 5-10 lessons from the archive, making all videos green, then putting a link to them on the main page/video lessons page could be very very effective. This + the lick of the day would make a visitor have no choice but to keep coming back to the site and eventually register so that they can carry on getting their 'fix' of GMC. As Smurkas said- this will help a visitor understand what they will be paying for.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 2 2008, 01:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
And again I will remind everyone that all the theory lessons are free (mine, plus Vinods sight reading course, so there is significant free content on the site.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 2 2008, 02:09 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 2 2008, 12:52 PM) *
And again I will remind everyone that all the theory lessons are free (

And 99.999+% of people who read your lessons learn something concrete that made no sense to them before.

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Jan 2 2008, 02:13 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jan 2 2008, 08:09 AM) *
And 99.999+% of people who read your lessons learn something concrete that made no sense to them before.

Or had mistakenly believed made sense tothem before! tongue.gif

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 2 2008, 02:14 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Freddie Fourfingers @ Jan 2 2008, 01:13 PM) *
Or had mistakenly believed made sense tothem before! tongue.gif

exactly, me included there laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 2 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 2 2008, 02:39 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jan 2 2008, 10:09 PM) *

or they learn something concrete that causes a whole lot of other things they didn't even know existed before to suddenly make no sense to them at all either - as they wander in the quirky and fascinating quagmire that is musical theory
(calling "Andrew, Andrew, please help me I am all lost, it's so hard, my head is hurting from all this thinking") - and then suddenly they realise that now they must keep searching and searching till they understand EVERYTHING Mwahahahahaha
and voila... they are trapped in theory analysis mind fuzzle land forever!!!!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 2 2008, 03:15 PM
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Jan 2 2008, 08:39 AM) *
or they learn something concrete that causes a whole lot of other things they didn't even know existed before to suddenly make no sense to them at all either - as they wander in the quirky and fascinating quagmire that is musical theory
(calling "Andrew, Andrew, please help me I am all lost, it's so hard, my head is hurting from all this thinking") - and then suddenly they realise that now they must keep searching and searching till they understand EVERYTHING Mwahahahahaha
and voila... they are trapped in theory analysis mind fuzzle land forever!!!!

*** Shh! Don't tell everyone my dastardly plans! ***

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Constie
Jan 2 2008, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 2 2008, 09:42 AM) *
Fantastic debate here! biggrin.gif

I like the idea of offering a few completely free lessons!

I don't like the idea of removing the free system we got though (with one or two free video per lesson) - at least not for now!

When I started working with instructional websites all the content I offered was free - what fascinated me was the possibility to reach out to hundreds of guitarists (and later on thousands!). Unfortunately it struck me that there are limitations to the free format - for instance we could never have 25 instructors providing quality material if it weren't for the member fee (as pointed out).

So - I still want our website to have continuous value for non-paying members. This is both a business strategy - but also a way to get more visitors (although most are "free" visitors). We want GMC to attract awesome instructors not only thanks to the comission we are paying - but also because being in the top three spots on gmc start page means getting a lot of people listening to the instructors music and watching their videos! biggrin.gif

After all, that is why I started doing this - the business part of it came much later. smile.gif The brain-eating started yesterday wink.gif laugh.gif

The first video should always be viewable.
This is one of the main reasons I joined: you see what you'll pay for. And you decide it's worth it's price smile.gif

But Kris, did you know you get acess to every tab without registering. You just can't view the videos.

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 2 2008, 06:37 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Or, make a completely new section - What you get by subscription - fill it with pictures of us discussing a forum, clips of collaborations on youtube, write there about GMC Bands, projects, GMC T-shirts, contests AND a few complete, completely free video lessons - take one of the best - for example pavels, 'cause he gives a spoken description too.. If ya (Kris) want, I can make list of all the things, GMC gives you- or we can make a brainstorming thread... I'll be proud to participate!:)

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 2 2008, 06:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
Or maybe GMC already works well and dosent need to be fixed smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
RobM
Jan 2 2008, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 1 2008, 10:35 AM) *
Guys, $10 USD a month?

Thats pretty much free, thats like lunch money for an elemtary school kid every day.

ROFL, where do your kids go to school? My kids cost me at least $50.00 per month "EACH" and that's if they only get the hot lunch, most of the time they get the food that is on the side menu instead of the tasteless hot lunch. Then the price goes way up! Whoever came up with the specs for the amount of food for children in the school lunch program should be forced to eat that amount of food every day for a month, the specs would go way up I can guarantee that. Every day my kids come home they are starving.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 2 2008, 07:06 PM
Instructor
RobM - he meant 10$ a day wink.gif And i remember those tasteless meals in the ground school...

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 2 2008, 07:21 PM
Learning Tone Guru
2 Mattacuk:
You know.. GMC worked well a year ago.. But where we are now, we wont be able to get without creativity, will, work and improving ourselves.. I dont want to repair anything, we just found out a point of controversy - and out of this debate a improvement idea has emerged - thinking this way, we wouldn't have any singing lessons now, we wouldn't have new instructors, members, site interface and better forums.

Its nice to stick to traditions.. but even thou some things work, there might be a better way:) And if there is a will and an idea, that might prove usefull, I see no reason, not to try:)

If there was idea and no will, or bad idea and will to do it, then there will be no point in discussion:) But I think, that this is a nice idea to give guests a straight list of what we can give them and let them try, what it looks like:)

Also, we can offer them a few free lessons, if they do something for us - either register as a guest (without paying - registering just for getting these free lessons:) - it is not nessecity to register, it could be just some kind of button, that will have a counter set upon it...), so we would have an precise database, that would show us, if this is effective, or we can just let them vote for GMC as best page on 100bestguitarsites.com or what the website is:)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Jan 2 2008, 07:22 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Carlo
Jan 2 2008, 07:45 PM
Wouldn't many people be dissappointed when they finally register and realize they are getting the same as what you get for free and the end of the day we bought for the lessons and if you are getting more through the forum then all the better, but most people will buy for the quality of the lessons and In my opinon the way it is set up now gives you alot of info...remeber too much of a good.......
Carlo rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:25 AM