Tips For Pickups Needed, 1 humbucker and 2 single coils
eyestoeyes
Aug 23 2010, 08:14 AM
GMC:er
Hello there,

So I bought a guitar from a friend just to learn som e stuff. Been playing for a while and usually play Jackson guitars but I got this offer on a cheap deal.

I bought a Washburn WR120 which I know is a beginner guitar and not worth much but thats why I bought it.

I never been good at intonating or such things so this will be a project to learn.

My first project however is to change the pickups.

So I want some suggestions on a humbucker and to single coil pickups for metal type of music, hardcore, death and so on.

I don´t see the point of buying to expensive pickups since the risk is that I will destroy them tongue.gif but ok stuff for the money with good sustain if possible.. I also know that the pickups will be worth more than the guitar but that doesn´t bother me too much.

I would be really glad for some suggestions.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
MickeM
Aug 23 2010, 08:27 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (eyestoeyes @ Aug 23 2010, 09:14 AM) *
I will destroy them tongue.gif

Sounds almost impossible blink.gif

I'd say your amp or pedals are the more crusial item to achive the sound you're looking for. Depending on what you have today the result will be thereafter.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 23 2010, 08:28 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Go to Guitarfetish.com and check out their pickups, they're cheap and from what I hear pretty good. You can also checkout IronGear.co.uk, they're pickups are also affordable.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
eyestoeyes
Aug 23 2010, 09:34 AM
I'd say your amp or pedals are the more crusial item to achive the sound you're looking for. Depending on what you have today the result will be thereafter.

Well I most often use a Pod X3.

Half of the changing pick ups thingy is that I want to learn how to do it smile.gif

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 23 2010, 09:28 AM) *
Go to Guitarfetish.com and check out their pickups, they're cheap and from what I hear pretty good. You can also checkout IronGear.co.uk, they're pickups are also affordable.

Thank you, will do smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 23 2010, 10:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (eyestoeyes @ Aug 23 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Half of the changing pick ups thingy is that I want to learn how to do it smile.gif

Check around for a HSS set (humbucker, single, single) that comes ready with pots, pickups and a wiring diagram.
F.ex http://www.emginc.com/products/index/103/7/1 would be easy assembled.

Or if you want to bring out the soldering pen you could get a matching set of Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio (read their own suggestion on what goes together) and just lookup the wiring diagram that fits.

EDIT: Tonerider is a brand that sound great at less cost, incase you don't need to spend a fortune on pickups www.tonerider.com

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 23 2010, 10:17 AM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 23 2010, 02:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just go for some more expensive pickups (Pickups are almost indestructible anyways) and put them in your guitar and once you have destroyed your guitar, you can salvage the pickups into another guitar^^

Well if you play heavy music and have a cheap guitar so it might be a good idea to compensate the lack of good wood with a bass-heavy pickup:
A seymour Duncan Invader sh-8 in the bridge should give you a serious Metal and hardcore tone and 2 single-coil sized Hot Rail shr-1 humbuckers will give you a balance in tone and output!
Try to get those pickups used from ebay to save some money!!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 23 2010, 03:20 PM
Instructor
+1 with zakk, it should make your guitar scream.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 23 2010, 05:46 PM
+2 for Zakk, always has good advice. Well done.

Todd

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 23 2010, 06:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
i have the invader bridge in my guitars and they rock , however don't worry about the others as if you play metal you will probably never use them

+Quote Post
eyestoeyes
Aug 24 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanx for all the answers, have been a lot of browsing around for all the pickups and searching sound samples.

Though the higher cost I think I go for the Invader sh-8. Have read nothing but good about it and really like the sound.

As for the Single coils I think I wait with those as proposed though I mostly riff anyways.

Thank you for the good advise as always here on GMC.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:00 PM