Troy Gradys Picking Mechanics Class
ztevie
Oct 24 2017, 08:49 AM
GMC:er
I bought the Yngwie Volcano course, and I must say it has really changed how I view picking technique, and has improved my speed and accuracy a lot.
It's not easy to change the way you pick but with some discipline and practice results came very fast... Now I totally understand why I've always had problems with speedy licks in certain situations, especially jumping from higher to lower strings.
I'd recommend this to anyone, at least check out his free YT videos, Cracking The Code. Just watching them will tell you what this technique is all about.
I'm working on YJM Trilogy Suite song now, and I'm almost there with speed and accuracy, which I want close to be able to do a few years ago when trying...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 24 2017, 01:04 PM
GMC Founder
Agreed - Troy has brought new insights and analysis to the guitar community! I am a fan of his work.

I think it's important to point out that from what I have seen, Troy mostly covers what you need to know about picking from a technical perspective. There are however other important things to consider when building your picking technique - namely tone and flexibility (ie can it be used for improvs and various different applications).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ztevie
Oct 24 2017, 05:50 PM
Yeah, all the years playing guitar and I've never really thought about the deeper technique behind it all. I've just held the pick the way that felt most natural and comfortable. And that's what is mostly taught out there: "Hold the pick the way that feels best for you, don't care about how famous players do"... But I realise now I've hit the barrier following that advice..
I wish I had known this a long time ago, I would be much further in my development.
These are very different lessons for sure, nothing about learning licks, speed, scales, vibrato etc....
But it will make you be able to develop all the above much faster and cleaner.
Downward pickslanting is only one way, he also goes through other techniques in other lessons, like upwards pickslanting and a mix of those. Very cool to see videos of the "shredcam", where you can really see how famous players hold their picks while playing.
Check out his free videos, you will know "the secret" to yngwie flawless technique, which is basically just a few simple rules:
1. Slant your pick downward.
2. When jumping from a thinner string to a lower string, always make the last note an upstroke, and the first on the lower string a downstroke.
3. If that's not possible because you have an odd number of notes on the first string, use a hammer-on or pull-off to enforce rule 2.

There are some other exceptions to the rules but it's very easy to understand and makes perfect sense once you get it..

This post has been edited by ztevie: Oct 24 2017, 06:03 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2017, 09:42 PM
Those 3 top tips are ones that I give out myself smile.gif Of course, not everything works for everyone, but when moving to a higher string, taking advantage of natural hand motion can really be beneficial. Some folks just don't like playing that way, which is fine too. But I've seen it help folks struggling with string traverse.

QUOTE (ztevie @ Oct 24 2017, 12:50 PM) *
Yeah, all the years playing guitar and I've never really thought about the deeper technique behind it all. I've just held the pick the way that felt most natural and comfortable. And that's what is mostly taught out there: "Hold the pick the way that feels best for you, don't care about how famous players do"... But I realise now I've hit the barrier following that advice..
I wish I had known this a long time ago, I would be much further in my development.
These are very different lessons for sure, nothing about learning licks, speed, scales, vibrato etc....
But it will make you be able to develop all the above much faster and cleaner.
Downward pickslanting is only one way, he also goes through other techniques in other lessons, like upwards pickslanting and a mix of those. Very cool to see videos of the "shredcam", where you can really see how famous players hold their picks while playing.
Check out his free videos, you will know "the secret" to yngwie flawless technique, which is basically just a few simple rules:
1. Slant your pick downward.
2. When jumping from a thinner string to a lower string, always make the last note an upstroke, and the first on the lower string a downstroke.
3. If that's not possible because you have an odd number of notes on the first string, use a hammer-on or pull-off to enforce rule 2.

There are some other exceptions to the rules but it's very easy to understand and makes perfect sense once you get it..

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Oct 24 2017, 11:43 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (ztevie @ Oct 24 2017, 04:50 PM) *
Downward pickslanting is only one way, he also goes through other techniques in other lessons, like upwards pickslanting and a mix of those.

I've been a follower of his for quite a while. Discovering the concept of pick slanting was a revelation for me. I find the downward/upward mix technique to be the most valuable. He has an excellent video that analyzes Paul Gilbert's picking that serves as a downward/upward mix example. By using a mix, you adjust your motion to adapt to what you want to play, rather than the other way around. In other words, the Downward/Yngwie approach restricts your playing to certain motions. The Mix/Gilbert approach can be applied to anything you want to play.

+Quote Post
ztevie
Oct 25 2017, 06:36 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 24 2017, 10:42 PM) *
Those 3 top tips are ones that I give out myself smile.gif Of course, not everything works for everyone, but when moving to a higher string, taking advantage of natural hand motion can really be beneficial. Some folks just don't like playing that way, which is fine too. But I've seen it help folks struggling with string traverse.

Absolutely... Not everyone have the need for it. For me, it's a way to penetrate a wall and develop further in my technique...

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Oct 25 2017, 12:43 AM) *
I've been a follower of his for quite a while. Discovering the concept of pick slanting was a revelation for me. I find the downward/upward mix technique to be the most valuable. He has an excellent video that analyzes Paul Gilbert's picking that serves as a downward/upward mix example. By using a mix, you adjust your motion to adapt to what you want to play, rather than the other way around. In other words, the Downward/Yngwie approach restricts your playing to certain motions. The Mix/Gilbert approach can be applied to anything you want to play.

I wanna get the downward thing feel natural, I'll probably move on to the mix l slanting later. Expand abilities even more...

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2017, 12:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ztevie @ Oct 24 2017, 01:50 PM) *

I agree that there are some details and tips regarding holding the pick, and the hand movement that are essential to have an efficient technique and be able to play at fast tempos.

I've seen his videos before and I find them really cool. It's great for Alternate Picking,however I feel that it's only 1 technique and element along lots of others that I consider important for my guitar playing. I hope that he gets into other concepts as well.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:26 PM