Choosing A Bass.
Jouve
May 4 2013, 03:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys!
Now i feel like i miss Yamaha bass, which i borrowed from my friend smile.gif
So i'm thinking to buy one for home recordings. What guitar would you recommend?
Some criteria:
1)Not very bit frets - I've got quite a short fingers.
2)4-5 strings only
3)Not a black one
4)Price range 500-800$ : i'm talking about used units.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
waynedcoville
May 4 2013, 04:25 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Jouve @ May 4 2013, 02:59 PM) *
Hey guys!
So i'm thinking to buy one for home recordings. What guitar would you recommend?
Some criteria:
1)Not very bit frets - I've got quite a short fingers.
2)4-5 strings only
3)Not a black one
4)Price range 500-800$ : i'm talking about used units.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epipho...ird-pro-iv-bass
this bass has major mojo, its a standard 34'' scale-length, its not black and less than what your asking. a very cool instrument for rock and metal

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez...ric-bass-guitar
Ibanez builds pretty good quality instruments. this one has a ash body and a single humbucker which will give you punchy and articulate tone for many styles

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/hofner...age-violin-bass
this will add classic vibe to your stage persona while giving you plenty of warm thumpy tone for jazz, low rock, and blues

happy hunting. if you have further or specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
ciao.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by waynedcoville: May 4 2013, 04:26 PM

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 4 2013, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (waynedcoville @ May 4 2013, 03:25 PM) *
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epipho...ird-pro-iv-bass
this bass has major mojo, its a standard 34'' scale-length, its not black and less than what your asking. a very cool instrument for rock and metal

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez...ric-bass-guitar
Ibanez builds pretty good quality instruments. this one has a ash body and a single humbucker which will give you punchy and articulate tone for many styles

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/hofner...age-violin-bass
this will add classic vibe to your stage persona while giving you plenty of warm thumpy tone for jazz, low rock, and blues

happy hunting. if you have further or specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
ciao.

Very quick and informative answer, thanks a lot wink.gif
Epi and Iby look great and the sound is very close to what i'm looking for.
Hofner is also nice, but i think that's not my cup of tea.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2013, 05:42 PM
Instructor
Ibanez basses are very comfortable to play so it's a good option for you. In my case I prefer basses, I would go for a Fender Precision like this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Made-in-Jap...=item257d7d5ae5

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 4 2013, 06:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 4 2013, 04:42 PM) *
Ibanez basses are very comfortable to play so it's a good option for you. In my case I prefer basses, I would go for a Fender Precision like this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Made-in-Jap...=item257d7d5ae5

Yay it's classic wink.gif
I was thinking about some japanese Fenders but for bass I would want something special.

This edwards pb looks fantastic, but it's quite tricky to order this one to Russia, and i want to test it myself before buying. And overall it'll cost around 1150$ with delivery.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2013, 08:25 PM
I have to second the suggestion on an IBBY! I have an IBANEZ 5 string bass and its' KILLER. Feels very comfy. Thin neck, easy to play. Sounds good and was less than $300 brand new smile.gif

This one is Black, 5 strings, good pickups. It's the next one up in the range from what I bought and goes for about $400 brand new.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez...ing-bass-guitar

Attached Image

Here is one closer to what I have, about $250 NEW! Also Black, 5 string.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez...5-5-string-bass

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 4 2013, 08:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
that thunderbird bass is nice

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 4 2013, 11:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would recommend Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 String Bass. It is around 500 euro new. I have used it in studio and live (sound techs love its sound more then my hi end American Fender Jazz). I have tried a lot of basses and discovered this one by accident and its tone is really good for the price. I has active electronics inside which allow you to tweak your tone precisely and this is is very useful for recording purposes. The bass is very light and plays well. Check the string action, it was just a tiny bit "high" for me on my bass (but I like it "fret buzzing extra low"), and it couldn't been lowered without some tech modifications (most players will find this action comfortable and "low"). The only downside with this bass was that it ate batteries like crazy. You can hear it in action in a lot of my lessons.

Another (completely opposite) recommendation would be to get a Fender Jazz Bass, made in Mexico - those should fit the budget and sound very nice. You can then later on upgrade electronics/pickups if you wish.

All in all - I would recommend a "Jazz Bass Like", simple 4 string bass that is versatile and can do all the different styles easily.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 5 2013, 12:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for your comments everybody wink.gif

I've found a nice advert- japanese Ibanez atk 450$. I'm going to try it on Tuesday.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 5 2013, 01:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Jouve @ May 4 2013, 03:59 PM) *
Hey guys!
500-800$ : i'm talking about used units.

I would recommend one with extra jumbo frets, a 6-8 string - 9 if you can find it,for about 1200 U.S. , oh, and if you could find a black one , I would get that one

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 5 2013, 01:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 5 2013, 12:28 PM) *
I would recommend one with extra jumbo frets, a 6-8 string - 9 if you can find it,for about 1200 U.S. , oh, and if you could find a black one , I would get that one

Warwick thumb suits you perfectly wink.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 5 2013, 02:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Jouve @ May 5 2013, 01:36 PM) *
Warwick thumb suits you perfectly wink.gif

sorry, sunday morning humor, couldn't resist

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 9 2013, 07:33 PM
Learning Roadie
After a quite a long auditioning of 6 instruments in a music store... I decided to buy Ibanez sr600. Tomorrow i'll grab it set up and ready to BOOM wink.gif
The quality and sound of this particular guitar is excellent. I liked the thing about coil splitting. You can get loads of tones. And the neck is perfect for my left hand.

This post has been edited by Jouve: May 9 2013, 07:33 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2013, 09:50 PM
Super congrats!!! smile.gif I bought a similar ibanez but a bit further down the price range. It's a five stringer but feels like a standard 4 string. Great neck on it smile.gif

Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Jouve @ May 9 2013, 02:33 PM) *
After a quite a long auditioning of 6 instruments in a music store... I decided to buy Ibanez sr600. Tomorrow i'll grab it set up and ready to BOOM wink.gif
The quality and sound of this particular guitar is excellent. I liked the thing about coil splitting. You can get loads of tones. And the neck is perfect for my left hand.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:12 AM