I Like Heavy Gauge Strings, but my guitar don't
stevie ray hey h...
Apr 19 2009, 05:56 PM
GMC:er
I played 0,9mm for 10 years or so, untill I heard of 0,10mm for the first time. It didn't take long before I tried 0,11, 0,12 an 0,13. I would really like to tune in Eb with 0,12 or 0,13. The last one scares me a bit, think I might cut my fingers off while bending. But my cheap ass guitar is already having problems staying in tune with the 0,11 in Eb. As soon as I got enough money I will buy new gear, guitar and amp. I especially like to play the blues and some light rock music, both with stevie ray vaughan influences (I try). But I can't really wait till the day I buy new gear. I think I will buy a jackson guitar, because my friend has just got an endorsement with jackson for 25% discount. Or maybe fender, if that's also in the endorsement. Is jackson a solid enough guitar to put let's say 0,12 gauge or 0,13 and tune in Eb or even E, anyway... at least D (not dropped, but all the strings)? Or would be fender be a better choice, probably because I just talked about blues, but I like the jackson neck (the ones with the white upper layer on the fret board) better than the fender. I now play a squier by fender, but I put more energy in tuning sometimes than in playing :-(. I also have an old jackson, but it also detunes because I broke something near the floyd rose, I had it fixed, but I was stupid enough to break it again by tuning an octave too high without checking my bridge :-&, it was standing almost straight up... I also have an old Ibanez, but the frets have lost a lot of fret material, and now some notes don't always sound how they should...

Should I start dealing drugs or something like that to get my new gear sooner? Or are there other options/ways too?

I can live with the detuning , it's been like that all my life... all those cheap guitars...

Stay awsome everybody...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If I would have lived in a time where guitars not yet excisted, I would have probably invented suicide
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 19 2009, 06:17 PM
I don't think it's expensive to change frets.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 19 2009, 07:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Jackson make some very good guitars mate, a lot of the metal players use jacksons and they can easily handle lower tunings. A fender is always a good buy but the most I ever tune mine to is E flat which it handles ok, I dont know about the really low tunings drop C and such, theoretically you should be able to balance any guitar against any string tension using the truss rod and bridge but if you're intent on using 13's then I would take it to a tech to get it setup.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 19 2009, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 19 2009, 07:41 PM) *
Its expensive to get it done proffesionaly, less so if you DIY it, which i wouldnt reccomend unless you are experienced.

Ok, buy a new neck then, if it's cheaper than redoing the frets.
Doesn't sound logical though.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 19 2009, 08:24 PM
Instructor
Got to be patient man, and really check all your options when buying guitars. If you get original good quality guitar, it will sound good, and you will be able to play Eb tuning with heavier gauge. Just try guitars before you buy, you will know if some guitar is better than another if you compare them nicely. I personally prefer Fender Strat with heavier gauge, but I'm sure there are tons of quality guitars, even many better quality build than strat that can serve you good.

PS I definitely don't recommend dealing drugs to buy new gear, cause you will end up in jail/hospital without anything on your hands, let alone guitar wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 19 2009, 08:58 PM
Honestly, if you hang around here long, I really doubt that you will stick with your desire for the real heavy strings. I used to use 10's, and felt strongly about heavier strings. But now I use 9's, and actually tune down to Eb. Here is why I feel that you will change your mind should you do a lot of lesson here (I have 130 I work on, my views changed as that number grew).

1) While you can do say SRV and some styles such as metal at wound strings primarily, fine, really, to play Neoclassical, to tap, rock ballads, anything doing a lot of bending and vibrato on the unwound strings, you are just at a serious disadvantage with the heavier strings, certainly anything bigger than 10's. Not just in difficulty, you also cannot make the tone as interesting in my view. Sure they have punch, but no way your vibrato is going to be anything even a light year's distance from Marcus L's with a 11 or 12 set. Listen to Emir Hot's Rock Ballad (great compostion). Try doing the dynamics like he does on his bends with those heavy strings, no way.

2) It is just easier on your hands, guys hurt themselves, that is really a good thing to think about, making things easy on your hands.

3) Speed. Now I firmly believe that while it is ok for your cats and dog to hear you slop it out while practicing, no human should ever hear you play faster than you can, unless you clearly articulate each and every note, and provide accented note groups. But within those limits, I like to play as fast as I can. And the physical fact is, when you have to put less effort to push a string to a fret with a finger, or pull off, you have a physical advantage in speed with lighter stings. This is not arguable, just a physical reality, it is harder to move a tighter string than a looser one.

4) You can get a good sound with thin strings with the right settings, devices.

Regarding Fender, I have a Strat and Tele. And a Parker. And Gibsons. Really, all quality guitars are great. If there was one guitar I would own though, only one, I would say in my dying breath, LES PAUL.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 19 2009, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
stevie ray hey h...
Apr 20 2009, 02:37 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 19 2009, 09:58 PM) *
Honestly, if you hang around here long, I really doubt that you will stick with your desire for the real heavy strings. I used to use 10's, and felt strongly about heavier strings. But now I use 9's, and actually tune down to Eb. Here is why I feel that you will change your mind should you do a lot of lesson here (I have 130 I work on, my views changed as that number grew).

1) While you can do say SRV and some styles such as metal at wound strings primarily, fine, really, to play Neoclassical, to tap, rock ballads, anything doing a lot of bending and vibrato on the unwound strings, you are just at a serious disadvantage with the heavier strings, certainly anything bigger than 10's. Not just in difficulty, you also cannot make the tone as interesting in my view. Sure they have punch, but no way your vibrato is going to be anything even a light year's distance from Marcus L's with a 11 or 12 set. Listen to Emir Hot's Rock Ballad (great compostion). Try doing the dynamics like he does on his bends with those heavy strings, no way.

2) It is just easier on your hands, guys hurt themselves, that is really a good thing to think about, making things easy on your hands.

3) Speed. Now I firmly believe that while it is ok for your cats and dog to hear you slop it out while practicing, no human should ever hear you play faster than you can, unless you clearly articulate each and every note, and provide accented note groups. But within those limits, I like to play as fast as I can. And the physical fact is, when you have to put less effort to push a string to a fret with a finger, or pull off, you have a physical advantage in speed with lighter stings. This is not arguable, just a physical reality, it is harder to move a tighter string than a looser one.

4) You can get a good sound with thin strings with the right settings, devices.

Regarding Fender, I have a Strat and Tele. And a Parker. And Gibsons. Really, all quality guitars are great. If there was one guitar I would own though, only one, I would say in my dying breath, LES PAUL.

Interesting... never heard that before, changing to bigger gauge and then back to 0,9. It makes sense when you tell it. Yeah I think 0,13 will be too much. But I do like the heavy stuff. I'm too sloppy for 0,9 I think, But I do notice that when I just screwing around a bit on the guitar , that I sometimes go faster than I should and it all sounds not articulated enough.

And I kinda like looking at my fingers after a long session. As long as they don't hurt I like ripping my fingers apart on the freboard. But when I was tuned to E some time ago, they were hurting more often, now with 0,11 in Eb is relax, could be that I stick with this setup. But I only like playing in perfect pitch, so another guitar is welcome, no matter what gauge they could fit...

--------------------
If I would have lived in a time where guitars not yet excisted, I would have probably invented suicide

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 20 2009, 02:53 AM
QUOTE (stevie ray hey hey hey @ Apr 19 2009, 08:37 PM) *
And I kinda like looking at my fingers after a long session. As long as they don't hurt I like ripping my fingers apart on the freboard. But when I was tuned to E some time ago, they were hurting more often, now with 0,11 in Eb is relax, could be that I stick with this setup. But I only like playing in perfect pitch, so another guitar is welcome, no matter what gauge they could fit...

I am thinking more in terms of tendonitis, or nerve damage such as carpal tunnel. it happens quite a bit. I had tendonitis
last winter, I think from stressing to much, too quickly, and the cold was a factor. But I also feel that stiff strings are a factor along with other things, that could make you vulnerable to such issues, should you try to be doing with them, what other guys are doing with lighter strings.

Just something to keep in mind. You can play perfectly clean, precisely clean and fast with 9's, it can be done, with well articulated notes, you just have to develop a delicate touch (I work on that all the time now). If you look at Ian, from South Africa here, his lessons, he is an example, very delicate touch. But most teachers are like that here, even say Lian, who is a metal wild man (Lian is great), but he has a real delicate touch.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:30 PM