Purple Hayes Mtp Thread - October
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 6 2009, 04:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Weekly assignment 1:

Arpeggio shapes on bass!

Lessons to practice:

Arpeggios Lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...peggios-lesson/

Goal : To learn 4 most common arpeggios shapes on bass which will help you in improvisation over common chord changes.

Purpose : Learn which notes you can use when improvising over common chord types. Practice your playing technique along with the shapes.

Instructions :

I want you to learn all 4 arpeggios shapes included in the lesson : major 7, minor 7, dominant 7 and minor7b5 . For each shape there is a ascending and descending version included. I want you to both learn the shapes/patterns but also to think in intervals and to notice which ones you are using in which shape.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. You want to work on memorizing these shapes and interval formulas. When practicing arpeggios, play with a metronome or backing tracks from the lesson. This will be a great technique exercise. Try to incorporate all the rules you learned in "Technique exercises" you did in first assignments (remember to alternate when playing). I want you to post audio or video of you playing these arpeggios : D major 7 , D minor 7 , D dominant 7 and D minor7b5 against a metronome backing or drum backing track at tempo 80 bpm (play straight 8th notes).Play the ascending version of arpeggios. I can upload a drum backing track for you if you want.

Deadline to complete: 11th of October

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 6 2009, 04:53 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 11 2009, 01:45 AM
How are you doing my friend? How is work on the assignment going ? Do you need any help or clarification?

Here is the backing track to use when recording your assignment take (you need to record only ascending versions of arpeggios) , its 80bpm:

Attached File  drum_backing_80bpm.mp3 ( 947.75K ) Number of downloads: 245

Looking forward to your take on the assignment! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 12 2009, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I should have a take up by tonight (tomorrow for you).

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 12 2009, 10:53 PM
Weekly assignment 2:

Improvisation - roots, 3rds and 5ths (triads improvisation!)

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/walking-bass-concept-4/

Goal : To learn the concept of improvising a walking bass line using roots 3rd and 5ths (triads) as a note choice in a 4 feel type of line.

Purpose : Develop new improvisation skills and vocabulary.Enable you to improvise on a spot walking bass line to any chord progression.

Instructions :

First check out the lesson and learn it by heart. Make sure you understand the concept behind this kind of improvisation. You want to use only roots 3rds and 5ths as your note choice. Make sure you follow the chord progression so that you connect what is being played with the chords in backing - that is very important. Walking bass line will be 4 feel - that means 4 quarter notes per bar. Try to get in that kind of groove and keep time well. Once you learn the lesson, start practicing your OWN improvisation over the same backing track. I want you to spend at least 2 hours during the week just practicing your own improvising over the backing. When improvising I want you to play the backing and look at the printed chord staff (progression on paper) and by following chords - choose appropriate roots 3rds and 5ths for improvisation.

Additional info: Roots 3rds and 5ths are building blocks of triads - 3 note chords. In the previous lesson you have learned 7th arpeggios shapes which include : root - 3rd - 5th - 7th . For this assignment I want you to use only appropriate root - 3rd - 5th for improvisation. When I say appropriate I mean to match the chords in backing and use appropriate triads. So if its a major chord you will play : root - major 3rd - perfect 5th , if its a minor chord you are playing: root - minor 3rd - perfect 5th.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. I want you to record in video (or audio only if you can't make it) your OWN roots 3rds and 5ths improvisation over the same backing. I will attach the backing track and chords progression in a day or two, which you will be using to record your own improvisation during the weekend!

Deadline to complete: 18th of October

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 12 2009, 10:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 13 2009, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Guitar Hero

This post has been edited by purple hayes: Oct 13 2009, 01:15 AM

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 14 2009, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Can I jump ahead and post what the chord progression is?

Key of A.

|Bm |Bm |AM |AM |DM |DM |EM |EM | F#m |F#m |Bm |Bm |C#m |C#m |G#dim |G#dim |AM |AM |B

Sound like B dorian (2nd mode of A).

Right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 14 2009, 07:16 PM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Oct 14 2009, 06:36 PM) *
Can I jump ahead and post what the chord progression is?

Key of A.

|Bm |Bm |AM |AM |DM |DM |EM |EM | F#m |F#m |Bm |Bm |C#m |C#m |G#dim |G#dim |AM |AM |B

Sound like B dorian (2nd mode of A).

Right?

Hello,

This is the chord progression of the track:
Bm - A - D - E - F#m - Bm - C#m - G#dim - A - Bm

Its a progression in the key of A major.

Each chord is repeated for two bars.

For improvisation I want you to use triads as your note choice. Triad is a three note chord stacked in 3rds.

For minor chords use minor triad: root - minor 3rd - perfect 5th
For major chords use major triad: root - major 3rd - perfect 5th
For diminished chord use diminished triad: root - minor 3rd - diminished 5th

Start each appropriate triad on root of the chord you are improvising over and you'll have 3 notes as your choice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 15 2009, 07:59 PM
Here is the backing track for the improvisation:

Tempo is 120 bpm.

Attached File  120.mp3 ( 688.29K ) Number of downloads: 247

Looking forward to your improv over the backing! smile.gif

QUOTE (purple hayes @ Oct 13 2009, 02:14 AM) *

Great job on assignment! I can see that you memorized all the shapes well! You will be using them a lot when constructing bass lines in the future so try to refresh your memory from time to time if you forget them smile.gif

P.s. audio/video quality was very good too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 18 2009, 11:44 PM
How are you doing? Do you need any help with the assignment? smile.gif

Cheers Bogdan!

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 19 2009, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 18 2009, 06:44 PM) *
How are you doing? Do you need any help with the assignment? smile.gif

Cheers Bogdan!

Should have a video up by tonight. My wife wasn't feeling well, so the time I would have spent recording a video yesterday was spent wrestling with my grandson. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 20 2009, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Gah. Life got in the way of sitting down to make a proper video. Here's a quick take for you.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  bass2.wav ( 7.67MB ) Number of downloads: 143

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 20 2009, 12:48 AM
Weekly assignment 3:

Groove - Motown Funk Feel

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/motown_funk/

Goal : To learn the whole lesson and get the understanding of Motown funk type of groove.

Purpose : To practice your time keeping skills. Learn how to incorporate dead notes in a groove to make it more "groovy" and interesting. To understand a basic Motown funk groove feel.

Instructions :

Check out the lesson and learn it by heart. You should pay attention to timing and groove which is our main focus here. You are using dead notes in this groove and hopefully you will recognize the main theme of the groove which is a basic Motown Funk Feel. You should focus on getting this lesson tight in time which is very important. You want to play exactly on beat (or "slightly" behind the beat) to get in the pocket. Don't rush it and play in front of the beat which is bad.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. I want you to record in video (or audio only if you can't make it) performance of the lesson. I will attach in a day or two the backing track to use for recording.

Deadline to complete: 25th of October

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 20 2009, 12:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 20 2009, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I worked on the Motown lesson today. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting that one down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 21 2009, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Oct 20 2009, 08:29 PM) *
I worked on the Motown lesson today. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting that one down.

Excellent! Looking forward to that video! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 21 2009, 12:43 PM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Oct 20 2009, 01:24 AM) *
Gah. Life got in the way of sitting down to make a proper video. Here's a quick take for you.

Very nice take! I can see that you have utilized the arpeggios knowledge in this one so you didn't make mistakes in note choice (only one minor mistake somewhere in the middle). You could have gone with the more interesting phrasing utilizing different patterns but we'll get to it in later assignments. Main thing here I want you to focus on in future assignments is to play full quarter notes. You need notes sounding full and almost overlapping one over the other when walking a bass line. It will fill out a lot of sonic space and propel the line forward. In this take you have shortened a little those notes so they sound a little "staccato like". Just pay attention not to mute the previous note and to hold it down with the fretting hand - until you play the second note you wanted - then you can ease the grip on the previous one and let it disappear. Pay attention to this detail, its minor and easy to fix and it will mean a lot to overall impression.

Good job man! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 22 2009, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I worked on the Motown lesson for quite a while yesterday. I've almost got it down, I just need to make that 'slap' on the 2 count of most measures sound out more. Right now it sounds a little dull and inconsistent.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 22 2009, 02:20 PM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Oct 22 2009, 03:07 PM) *
I worked on the Motown lesson for quite a while yesterday. I've almost got it down, I just need to make that 'slap' on the 2 count of most measures sound out more. Right now it sounds a little dull and inconsistent.

That is good news! That "slap" is a pretty interesting technique. It's good for keeping the groove and it's played mostly on snare drum beats. To produce that sound you just let your fingers come down on the string with a decent force and it makes it "pop". Try practicing only that sound/technique alone to see what works best for you and your bass. It needs a little experimenting at first but later you will get used to grooving and keeping time that way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 25 2009, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Can you post the Motown backing track today?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 25 2009, 01:27 PM
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Oct 25 2009, 12:46 PM) *
Can you post the Motown backing track today?

You can find the backing track in this topic: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=29154

Looking forward to your take! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 26 2009, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Guitar Hero

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:13 AM