Gig Stories?, What's your best, worst, funniest, craziest gig story?
The Professor
Jan 10 2013, 05:55 PM
Theory Instructor
Hey Everyone

Was sharing gig stories the other night with a friend and it reminded me of a gig I did a while back in Brazil. Well, didn't do after a massive traffic jam, huge storm, low tank of gas and all sorts of other fun stuff.

I wrote the whole story out here if you want to check it out in every painful detail.

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/the-gig-that-never-was

Which leads me to the questions. What's your best, worst, most outrageously funny gig story?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 11 2013, 12:32 PM
Learning Roadie
How long did you live in Brazil for and more importantly how long did it take you to learn potuguese.

My wife's from Goiania and I'm still trying to learn, I just don't practice enough and she hasn't got the patience to speak slowly and help!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Andre Nieri
Jan 11 2013, 12:56 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys!

Matt, glad you gigged here in Brazil, but sorry about it being your worst gig! haha

A couple of days ago, we were scheduled to play in a famous pub here in Sao Paulo, and we were very excited abou the show. What really wasn't expected was that NO ONE came to see us! I mean, really NO ONE. We didn't even played - just packed our stuff and left. Total disappointement!

About the greatest gigs, there were lots of them. When the croud is excited and the band plays good, this is always a good gig!

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 11 2013, 11:32 AM) *
How long did you live in Brazil for and more importantly how long did it take you to learn potuguese.

My wife's from Goiania and I'm still trying to learn, I just don't practice enough and she hasn't got the patience to speak slowly and help!

No worries, PosterBoy. Portuguese is a very difficult language. Even some brazilians can't speak it right...

This post has been edited by Andre Nieri: Jan 11 2013, 01:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 13 2013, 05:49 PM
Instructor
Oh man ... Andre, I thought that the empty venue stuff is happening only in Romania laugh.gif Not that I'm happy it happened to you, au contraire my friend, but it felt weird thinking that we are the only ones to fight this thing...

Anyway, the weirdest thing that happened to me related to a gig was last year. My ex girl was going mad because I decided to split up with her and she has seen me with my actual girlfriend and she went bananas. I had a gig on the 20th of June last year in a club here in Bucharest and the venue was quite packed... I was ready to go onstage and guess what... the crazy chick showed up and she started pushing me and screaming like crazy in the middle of the venue - needless to say, everyone was staring laugh.gif I felt so awkward.. man... I was trying to cool her down and tell her that it's not the time nor the moment for such a discussion and she went even crazier and slapped me in front of all those people - she was sure she will spoil my evening and make me have a bad performance. Well, that didn't happen - I channeled all the bad energy away and I had a very good gig, but some women are so weird...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 13 2013, 08:22 PM
A friend reminded me of when we were both playing at private party about 100 miles (160 km) from our homes outside of Los Angeles. Something I ate on the way to the gig made me violently ill (stomach - you do the math wink.gif wacko.gif ).
Mind you this was 4 set gig in Tuxedos. I remember several times leaning my guitar against my amp and running to the bath room. The gig was so long that by the end of it I was actually fine. Tough night at work though.

I toured for a month in S. America (some of the most fun I've ever had!). In Argentina, Venezuela and Brasil we NEVER started a gig until midnight ... ever. In Chile at the airport one guy in a dark green suit with two armed guards on either side of him took away all the americans in the band's passports. There were no incidents during the stay in Chile but at the airport the same guy in the same dark green suit (with two armed guards) charged us $40.00 (U.S. greenbacks only, lol!) to get our passports back. As I said, nothing happened, I had a GREAT time and it makes for a good story.

I was using a POD and line 6 floorboard somewhere in S.France in 1999 and the power was funky. Not the voltz, that was all converted to 115 for american gear but the cycles - they were still down at 50. It made the volume pedal on the flrbrd act as midi patch change controller - hysterical on that 1st tune!

On the good side - which is really easy to forget because the bad gigs are usually funny - at least after the fact.
Every wednesday I do a jazz gig at a tiny cafe. Last weds a ton of young guys and gals (early 20s) came in ... and didn't leave. In fact they stayed all evening ... and LIKED it (jazz - go figure). The fact that I'll still get surprised about people's reactions is a very positive thing for me.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 13 2013, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 14 2013, 10:24 AM
Instructor
About your last entry in the list of events smile.gif There was this one gig at a festival, with my first band ever - biker fest in a small city close to us, that used to draw about 4000-5000 people. It was the perfect scenery - evening, lights, big crowd and everything. Before starting to play one of our songs, I was struck with amazement and emotion when the crowd started singing the chorus before we even started playing. It was the first time in my life when that was happening and I almost cried smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 14 2013, 12:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
we would always talked( after we unloaded) about crazy bar chicks hitting on us and how many teeth they would be missing

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jan 14 2013, 02:05 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 13 2013, 05:49 PM) *
Anyway, the weirdest thing that happened to me related to a gig was last year. My ex girl was going mad because I decided to split up with her and she has seen me with my actual girlfriend and she went bananas. I had a gig on the 20th of June last year in a club here in Bucharest and the venue was quite packed... I was ready to go onstage and guess what... the crazy chick showed up and she started pushing me and screaming like crazy in the middle of the venue - needless to say, everyone was staring laugh.gif I felt so awkward.. man... I was trying to cool her down and tell her that it's not the time nor the moment for such a discussion and she went even crazier and slapped me in front of all those people - she was sure she will spoil my evening and make me have a bad performance. Well, that didn't happen - I channeled all the bad energy away and I had a very good gig, but some women are so weird...

That's happening cos' u're famours Romanian vagabond ,beware next time ph34r.gif wink.gif cool.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jan 14 2013, 02:05 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 14 2013, 02:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jan 14 2013, 01:05 PM) *
That's happening cos' u're famours Romanian vagabond ,beware next time ph34r.gif wink.gif cool.gif

Slav, I am the nicest dude with the ladies, trust me smile.gif But some women are just not ready to get along with anyone not doing as they please laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 14 2013, 03:03 PM
This is embarrassing, and I can laugh at it now, but the memory haunts me.

Regardless, I deserved what happened.

This was back in 2002-2003. One of my band-mates and I were at a local music bar we played at frequently. That night we were there checking out a friends band. At some point, (I wish it had been earlier), they invited us on stage to plug ourselves playing the next weekend. I was drunk as snot, and back then; me + booze + microphone + stage + audience = cringe-worthy buffoonery of epic biblical proportions. So I proceeded to tell everyone how we were going to blow the F#@%ing roof off the place the following week, just as I said that, I turned and tripped over the stage monitor and fell backwards off the front of the stage.

Unfortunately, I'm not the only person that remembers that.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 14 2013, 09:15 PM
Theory Instructor
Some great, if cringworthy, stories here! smile.gif

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2013, 08:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 14 2013, 02:03 PM) *
This is embarrassing, and I can laugh at it now, but the memory haunts me.

Regardless, I deserved what happened.

This was back in 2002-2003. One of my band-mates and I were at a local music bar we played at frequently. That night we were there checking out a friends band. At some point, (I wish it had been earlier), they invited us on stage to plug ourselves playing the next weekend. I was drunk as snot, and back then; me + booze + microphone + stage + audience = cringe-worthy buffoonery of epic biblical proportions. So I proceeded to tell everyone how we were going to blow the F#@%ing roof off the place the following week, just as I said that, I turned and tripped over the stage monitor and fell backwards off the front of the stage.

Unfortunately, I'm not the only person that remembers that.

Uh-oh... laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:03 AM