Big Computer Problem, virus...I think
kaznie_NL
Apr 13 2008, 03:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello GMC,

First of all I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, I wasn't sure. If so, mods please move it, thanks!

Here's the problem, when I start my computer (not the one I'm writing from, but another) it starts normally (maybe a bit longer) and then I come to the log in screen. After five seconds log in screen it just resets! Then it just goes again. When I cick on a profile, it once asked for a password (I never have one on my acount) and it mostly says something like "profile service is unavailable" . One other thing, when I clicked the arrow on the right to the red exit button in the lower right corner (vista) it just contained nothing. some resets later it did and I clicked exit, but after two seconds of exiting it reseted again...This sucks smile.gif

pls, anyone? btw the last time I exited the computer I did an ad-aware scan and I removed a trojan builder or trojan downloader (not sure)

thnx, Kaz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark.
Apr 13 2008, 04:01 PM
GMC:er
=S That sucks, and I know nothing about computers so I can't help you with it sad.gif

I also had a trojan horse once, and it destroyed to booting system or something. We needed to remove everthing from the pc and install it again dry.gif Hope fully there's an easier solution for your pc unsure.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mark.: Apr 13 2008, 04:01 PM

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 13 2008, 04:14 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Sounds like that Trojan crap is your problem. Can you get to any of the admin screens? If you can, go back to a restore point that was befor the trojan deal. If not, on start up imediately hit F8 and see if you have two versions of the operating system then choose the other thats not highlited. If none of this helps, go get yourself an anti-virus software disk and install it to clean up your system.

Not sure if any of this will help but its steps i've had to take in the past for a similar problem.

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 04:18 PM
Hi mate - Boot up your computer and hit F8 (I think) and start in safe mode with networking. Once the computer is booted, navigate to http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and download Avast!

Install it, and when it prompts you, enable a scheduled boot scan. Reboot your PC and a virus scan will run before the operating system starts. Delete any viruses you find.

Hopefully once it is done you will be able to stay online for long enough to run some other applications.

I recommend downloading and running Spybot Search & Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 13 2008, 05:04 PM
Singing Instructor
I use Spybot as weel and AVG.....

you have a free edition here

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-prod...s/frt/0?prd=aff

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 13 2008, 05:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a anti-virus installed called Norman. It's a paid one. As you see I also use ad-aware wich is anti spyware. To bad it only scans when asked, maybe I should set it up in a way that it'll scan every day... well, to late now tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 05:53 PM
Like I said - run a virus scan with Avast! before the OS loads.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 13 2008, 06:00 PM
i use Panda.. i got it after Nortan Anti- Virus had failed me many times..Panda is 1 of those little unknown software things that no one knows about and it works really well smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 14 2008, 01:56 AM
A couple of possibilities but I would start with what everyone else has suggested... a good virus scan.

If you have access to a second computer (which apparently you do). I would remove the hard drive from the sick computer, place it in an external kit and connect to the second computer and perform the virus scan.

The reason for the removal of the drive is if at all possible you're better off removing the drive from its' "sick" environment and running a thorough scan from a health environment. There are some viruses that will prevent antivirus from installing or detecting the virus if you install antivirus after the infection.

I would also recommend NOD32 for the virus scanner. 10 years running of not missing a single in the wild virus. It analyzes data rather than a matching system like Norton, McAfee and others.

This post has been edited by JCJXXL: Apr 14 2008, 01:58 AM

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 14 2008, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Apr 14 2008, 01:56 AM) *
If you have access to a second computer (which apparently you do). I would remove the hard drive from the sick computer, place it in an external kit and connect to the second computer and perform the virus scan.

Although that could do more damage if you're not careful wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 14 2008, 01:58 AM
Only if you don't have good protection on the second computer.

+Quote Post
swingline
Apr 14 2008, 02:04 AM
Try safe mode and you might even need to make a boot disk. As for anti-virus I only use and recommend CA (formally computer associates) although I only have experience with 4 or 5 anti viruses. Norton sucks when I got the trial for CA I scanned and it found a grip of little viruses that weren't major but they slowed things up, and that Norton was totally oblivious.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 14 2008, 09:52 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
You should start a new thread, the big anti-virus thread! tongue.gif ok, I'm gonna try to startup in safemode. I won't get my harddrive out, first of all because the other computer I use is a mac, second of all because I'll probably break it tongue.gif

thnx for the help guys, Kaz

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 14 2008, 03:03 PM
The trojan might have infected files your system depends on. If those are removed...
Once it's gone as far as this it's usually easier to just re-install everything.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 14 2008, 06:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
well, the computer works again. I'm doing a scan now, so we'll see. I got the Vista CD in and booted my computer from that CD. Then a repair program came up and got it all repaired, now I hope the scanner finds the virus/trojan!
thanks for the help, the F8 thing also worked for booting from a CD. THANKS GMC! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2008, 08:39 PM
Instructor
DId you find a Trojan in the end man?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 14 2008, 08:43 PM
Instructor
try this http://www.eset.eu/podpora/aktualizacia-3016?lng=en

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 14 2008, 08:49 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Try to go back to a previous restoration point, it has helped me in the past with some nasty viruses.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 16 2008, 03:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well I thought it worked, I did find a trojan downloader again, but no trojan. Also a friend of mine told me that this problem isn't usually caused by a virus. Well i did a startuprepair and a systemrestauration (to get the computer back to april the tenth) but that didn't work. I can get in the normal pages now, but after rebooting, it just keeps rebooting over and over again. So..that sucks tongue.gif well...nothing left but the computer shop biggrin.gif THNX for the help and cya!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Nathan333
Apr 16 2008, 10:20 PM
If it hasn't already done too much damage just try re-installing the OS and wiping the hard drive. You'll lose all your stuff but the virus should be dealt with. sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:16 AM