Alaska Man Gets Dui For Rafting Under The Influence
AK Rich
Aug 3 2012, 04:08 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I was checking out some state news today and ran across this little gem of a news article. What do you guys think? Sounds a bit harsh or completely within reason? You be the judge. I am thinking it is on the harsh side. Public intoxication maybe but a DUI?
This guys automobile insurance is going to go up significantly not to mention he will most probably have to have a breathalyzer installed on his vehicle at his own expense which he will have to blow into everytime he drives his car for a year and 3 days in jail I think it is if convicted if it is his 1st offense. All because of a slow float down the Chena river on a hot sunny day while tossing back some brewski's or whatever he was drinking.His blood alchohol level was pretty high.

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/19659421-Jun...-in-Chena-River

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 3 2012, 04:23 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
The only logical explanation I can think of is that law enforcement was probably worried that he would end up in a dangerous situation where the Coast Guard would have to use a helicopter and possibly risk their lives to save him. I highly doubt that is the case. Even though he did break the law, I think he should only get a slap on the wrist. According to the article, he's only been charged, and hasn't been convicted yet. We'll see how this turns out biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 3 2012, 09:50 AM
Instructor
I'm not actually sure what opinion to have on it, really.. on one side I can understand hat it's his choice to do it and if (IF) he's not going to pose a danger to anyone else then LEO's should butt out and go and try to arrest a wife beater somewhere instead.

However, if that law is there and he's broken it, then shouldn't be too surprised. Just because it's something that people in the comments said they used to do, doesn't mean it was right to do it back then. Although I love the idea of drinking some cold ones on a boat or something, I wouldn't do it if it wasn't being captained by someone who was sober.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Aug 3 2012, 09:50 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Aug 5 2012, 09:27 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 2 2012, 07:23 PM) *
The only logical explanation I can think of is that law enforcement was probably worried that he would end up in a dangerous situation where the Coast Guard would have to use a helicopter and possibly risk their lives to save him. I highly doubt that is the case. Even though he did break the law, I think he should only get a slap on the wrist. According to the article, he's only been charged, and hasn't been convicted yet. We'll see how this turns out biggrin.gif

Yeah I suppose he could have potentially put himself and rescuers into danger, Although the Chena river is pretty slow moving and kind of meanders through Fairbanks , it does eventually dump into the bigger and faster moving Tanana river where things could have gotten ugly for him.
I am thinking that these charges may be dismissed or more likely reduced to some kind or drunk and disorderly or a charge of public intoxication , we will see I guess.
I just dont think the charges reflect the intention of the law which is to keep people from operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alchohol which on the water would be a boat or personal watercraft and the like which I fully support. But a charge of DUI for floating down a river on a raft while intoxicated just seems like a bit of an over reach in my opinion. Especially in light of the punishment which is pretty severe.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 3 2012, 12:50 AM) *
I'm not actually sure what opinion to have on it, really.. on one side I can understand hat it's his choice to do it and if (IF) he's not going to pose a danger to anyone else then LEO's should butt out and go and try to arrest a wife beater somewhere instead.

However, if that law is there and he's broken it, then shouldn't be too surprised. Just because it's something that people in the comments said they used to do, doesn't mean it was right to do it back then. Although I love the idea of drinking some cold ones on a boat or something, I wouldn't do it if it wasn't being captained by someone who was sober.

Yeah I agree with you Ben that there are plenty of other crimes they could have been addressing at the time and there is definately a problem with domestic violence in this state. sad.gif
I am fairly certain there is no shortage of people floating on the river or lakes and having a few drinks, Including myself in the past before I quit drinking. But where do you draw the line? In the past I have had a few drinks on a hot sunny day here at the lake and then jumped into an innertube and floated around and swam to cool off. If this was grounds for arrest under the statute, Law enforcement could have been making plenty of arrests like this one if thats the way they are going to interperate and enforce the law.

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 5 2012, 10:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
Another logical explanation..... "the man" likes writing ridiculous tickets to make money off of the "working joe", every time we use our "freedom" to have fun in this country. dry.gif

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 2 2012, 08:23 PM) *

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 6 2012, 11:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Aug 5 2012, 09:27 PM) *
I am fairly certain there is no shortage of people floating on the river or lakes and having a few drinks, Including myself in the past before I quit drinking. But where do you draw the line? In the past I have had a few drinks on a hot sunny day here at the lake and then jumped into an innertube and floated around and swam to cool off. If this was grounds for arrest under the statute, Law enforcement could have been making plenty of arrests like this one if thats the way they are going to interperate and enforce the law.

Yeah, it's not down to the law to parent people, only deal with and attempt to prevent crime.. I dunno, laws are a bit weird aren't they ? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:03 PM