Some Diminshed Theory/chord Scales
ConnorGilks
Jan 25 2013, 05:25 AM
GMC:er
We're going over Diminished harmony and chord scales in my jazz theory class and I'm a bit lost.

We've talked about how #1, #2, #4 and #5 diminshed 7 chords all use a chord scale that is a composite of the chord and the chord scale of the diatonic chord you are targeting. One note is omitted in order to make sure that the perfect 5th of the secondary dominant the diminished chord is derived from remains in tact, I believe the note omitted from the scale is the b5 of that secondary dominant.

Chord Scale wise I know that I can play a Mixolydian b9, #9, b13 a major third below any of these diminished 7 chords. Here's my thing though, if you look at the same scale based off of the root of the chord, there's no name for the scale. My teacher doesn't give it a name, our textbook doesn't give it a name, we are just told it's Mixolydian b9 #9 b13 starting on the 3rd. Why is there no name for this? How am I supposed to easily remember the notes if there's no relation to the root of the chord? Of course I can just write out the previously mentioned scale starting on the 3rd, but it' just one extra step to do because of a missing piece of information.

Anyways... hope that's not too confusing!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:39 AM