2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Non Guitarists Analysis, Anything except for guitar
Iluha
Sep 23 2007, 06:02 AM
GMC:er
So today I was browsing through youtube checking out people playing Piano, and I thought I'd share with you some of the best I saw:

Piano:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9mg5AQqEKA (1000 words from Final Fantasy X-2)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hjbfKmg9ZaM (Wind Crest from Final Fantasy X-2)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_SfgpJThGvA (Liuyang River)

Share some of your favourite non guitar videos!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 06:10 AM
I love Final Fantasy piano songs. There so great. I forget who composed them. Man I watched a whole segment of who composed them one time. Anyone know who it is?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 23 2007, 06:18 AM
Nubou uematsu? I'm not sure, I know he's responsible for most of the final fantasy soundtrack

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 23 2007, 06:21 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 23 2007, 12:18 AM) *
Nubou uematsu? I'm not sure, I know he's responsible for most of the final fantasy soundtrack

Hmm, Maybe. That name sounds familiar. But I cant be for sure if thats it or not either!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 23 2007, 06:26 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yes it is Nobuo Uematsu, one of my man idols, the man is a genious!!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 23 2007, 07:26 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A few more non-guitar ones:

The late, great Michael Brecker who sadly died early this year. Brecker again here. And with Metheny here. And with Steps Ahead here. (THe hours I've spent trying to transcribe this song - Pools - properly blink.gif )

The brilliant John Coltrane. And with Duke Ellington here playing one of my favourite standards - sublime.

Coltrane and Brecker are two reasons why I picked up the guitar in the first place.

Miles Davis - THE man with the horn. And with Robben Ford https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIJ017JpIE (think Ben might like this one smile.gif )

I'm not a huge fan of drum solos and the like but Steve Gadd, Bill Bruford and Dave Weckl are an exception.

Great bass playing - Jaco and Jaco with Weather Report. Great groove - Heavy Weather is a must have top 100 album.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 23 2007, 04:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
I love this guy Ludovico Einaudi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOjpYXW2C3Q

Infact I love classical music full stop, I also like the way Paul Gilbert takes alot of technique from classical smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ben N
Sep 23 2007, 05:57 PM
Instructor
1ts time im hear this gay... very nice!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Sep 24 2007, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 23 2007, 01:26 AM) *
Coltrane and Brecker are two reasons why I picked up the guitar in the first place.

I saw one of Michael's very last concerts. His E.W.I. song was really crazy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUtdP3jQKUA

Some other neat stuff I like...

Beat creation pads...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcLcXWWgvM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1lZjFzgI8

Experimental electronica / bass & drums / jungle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3e1YCLV9bA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZUKBCupZaA

Virtuoso lyricist emcees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5WlQ54Sg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFPDR8ubNMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAR1Dgpg_U

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 03:39 AM
Cheers InstruMental for the links,
need to look later tonight when I've a bit more time.

Out of curiosity where do you stand on the who was better Brecker vs Coltrane argument? (I cop out as I see them as brilliant but different and like them both for themselves.) Last time I sadly saw MB was quite a few years ago with Pat Metheny - great gig though. The ewi stuff is amazing though Ido think it sort of dates the sound a bit to the late 80s dry.gif - amazing playing though.

Cheers,
Tony

ps I so wish I could play a Sax sad.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 05:53 AM
InstruMental -

Absolutely loved the Felipe Carvalho - that Akai MDP24! - I use the 16 which is great but the 24 looks cool blink.gif ?

Pansonic is cool as well. And here.

laugh.gif Lol - see you have the same Pansonic as me - great minds think alike! Saw Pansonic and quite a few others a while back at the special Gateshead Baltic New music Festival - best three nights I've had on a boat biggrin.gif (Pansonic, Autechre, Squarepusher...).

Staying with the non-guitar experimental theme - autechre and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWGUnrIiOoI...ted&search=

I also like Prefuse 73

Spot on (IMO) with the Mos Def kind of reminds me of PE at their political best and Black Radical MKII and Blade. Sadly no links (well there's one to blade but the quality is imo too bad to post sad.gif .

Canibus and Jedi Mind Tricks - jeez how did I miss this out - I need to go visit Amazon quick smile.gif !

Have to say that I think you have great taste and an amazing breadth of taste in music as well. Don't think I've seen you paste anything that didn't make stop and go 'wow'!

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gen
Sep 24 2007, 06:06 AM
Rick Wakeman is an amazing piano player, i would aslo say...shredder biggrin.gif
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=05k8DgEXZXM
The entire song is great, but for those who want to see piano shred, its at 2:40 tongue.gif

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 24 2007, 06:24 AM
Here's a group/man, don't really know, but most of you probably heard of "it", Enigma, I just love their chilled out tunes and their general musical direction, here's my favourite piece by them(with a crappy video though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNRolJjSJGY

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 06:31 AM
Nice link Iluha

Enigma also had a huge hit in the UK and I think most of Europe with Sadness.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 24 2007, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 24 2007, 07:31 AM) *
Nice link Iluha

Enigma also had a huge hit in the UK and I think most of Europe with Sadness.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for that link Tony, now I know another great song by them, I can't get enough of their sound...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 06:44 AM
Might work for you as well in this vein Iluha- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvC-7lcrvI.

Cheers,
Tony

ps - of modern film score composers Craig Armstrong has to be in the top ten - sadly under rated in the UK

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 06:56 AM
And for those into either (or both) Epic or games music here's Craig again.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Sep 24 2007, 07:08 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 23 2007, 09:39 PM) *
Out of curiosity where do you stand on the who was better Brecker vs Coltrane argument?

Coltrane for sure. But I could be biased. I was raised on free jazz (my father has like 5,000 jazz records) and Coltrane is just one of my absolute favorites.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 23 2007, 09:39 PM) *
ps I so wish I could play a Sax sad.gif

I’m actually just about to start learning soprano sax.

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: Sep 24 2007, 07:40 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 07:26 AM
Free jazz - +1

As a very early date when I first new my (then to be ) wife we went to see Evan Parker after my wife had had acupuncture. She had to leave early - stills says it made her whole body feel completely thrown up in to air and to the winds in every direction biggrin.gif . Having said that she came with me to see Ornette Coleman early last year and loved it - so she must be ready for Evan again (and maybe Spreingheeled JAck smile.gif ).

Cheers,
Tony

Emotive singing:

Robert Wyatt - spent my early youth through to Uni in L'Pool and saw dockers sacked - including several close relations. I'm also an Everton fan and still applaud Robbie (Liverpool player) for supporting the Liverpool Dockers strike. Robert captures what I feel about the whole thing.

Cheers,
Tony

ps not a great version here though. Best was for Rough Trade - and there's another sad story sad.gif

My mum saw Coltrane on part of that tour - she went as she was (and still is) in to Peterson - she talks about how brillinat it was even now though.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Sep 24 2007, 07:40 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 23 2007, 11:53 PM) *
Absolutely loved the Felipe Carvalho - that Akai MDP24! - I use the 16 which is great but the 24 looks cool blink.gif ?

I’ve really been wanting an Akai MDP24 but I’ve never used anything more than a BOSS DR rhythm machine. Haha, actually I was buying some new clothes recently and it turned out the store clerk was a rap producer from Houston with tons of experience in the area of beat creation.

Staying with the non-guitar experimental theme - autechre and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWGUnrIiOoI...ted&search=

Have you seen this Autechre fan-made music video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPcRW1Xm2g

… I’ll have to check out more Prefuse 73.

Canibus and Jedi Mind Tricks - jeez how did I miss this out - I need to go visit Amazon quick smile.gif !

More great Canibus tracks (ignore the dumb videos):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I80ZVcYPuek
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AMG2EAWVo4A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k1plUv8bsbA

“Rip the Jacker” is probably Canibus’ best album, and the beats were done by Jedi Mind Tricks’ Producer / DJ “Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind”.

But as far as Jedi Mind Tricks goes... I'd say to get "Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell". "Legacy of Blood" is really good too. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxx2IC_wCag

If you liked that Immortal Technique track (the one with Mos Def), then check out this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQfkc7DRsY

All of I.T.'s albums are classic, but I'd suggest "Revolutionary, Vol. 2".

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 24 2007, 01:26 AM) *
Free jazz - +1

As a very early date when I first new my (then to be ) wife we went to see Evan Parker after my wife had had acupuncture. She had to leave early - stills says it made her whole body feel completely thrown up in to air and to the winds in every direction biggrin.gif . Having said that she came with me to see Ornette Coleman early last year and loved it - so she must be ready for Evan again (and maybe Spreingheeled JAck smile.gif ).

Did you know Evan and Squarepusher had a concert together earlier this year? I hope they release it!

Speaking of Coltrane again, I just got this:

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=3229

But if you're looking for some great (and crazy) jazz, buy this:

http://www.sts.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=28899

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: Sep 24 2007, 07:41 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:13 AM