2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Onedrive Auto Sign In, how do I stop it?
Phil66
Jul 15 2020, 07:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm taking my main laptop away with me for two weeks, I know how to stop OneDrive from starting automatically when starting windows but it's not what I want, I want it to ask me every time to log in. The reason is, should my laptop get stolen, I don't want my files to be accessed, I'm going to put a lot of stuff as "on-demand" ie, it's on the cloud until I need it and stays there when being used even with editing.

Anyone know how to do it? I'm probably being a numpty but I can't see how, nor can I find it on Google.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2020, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
Isn't it integrated in to the windows password system? same password as your computer login or is it different? If you are using a main password, to just get in to windows, you dont have to worry about one drive smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 15 2020, 02:48 PM) *
Hello folks,

I'm taking my main laptop away with me for two weeks, I know how to stop OneDrive from starting automatically when starting windows but it's not what I want, I want it to ask me every time to log in. The reason is, should my laptop get stolen, I don't want my files to be accessed, I'm going to put a lot of stuff as "on-demand" ie, it's on the cloud until I need it and stays there when being used even with editing.

Anyone know how to do it? I'm probably being a numpty but I can't see how, nor can I find it on Google.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bjorn218
Jul 16 2020, 05:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 15 2020, 06:28 PM) *
Isn't it integrated in to the windows password system? same password as your computer login or is it different? If you are using a main password, to just get in to windows, you dont have to worry about one drive smile.gif

Right click the icon in the Taskbar > Settings > click the Settings Tab > Uncheck Start One Drive automatically when I sign into Windows > click OK. This should force the app to have you love in each time.

Just make sure to shut down One Drive when you aren’t using it abroad otherwise it will stay running.

--------------------
The question is not who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 16 2020, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Bjorn218 @ Jul 16 2020, 05:42 AM) *
Right click the icon in the Taskbar > Settings > click the Settings Tab > Uncheck Start One Drive automatically when I sign into Windows > click OK. This should force the app to have you love in each time.

Just make sure to shut down One Drive when you aren’t using it abroad otherwise it will stay running.

Yeah I can do that but you just have to click one drive icon and it opens and signs in.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 16 2020, 01:28 AM) *

I thought about that but I'm not sure that if someone took the hard drive out and hooked it up as an external, would they be able to click the one drive icon and it open and log in? I'm really not sure.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2020, 01:35 AM
I'd say at that point, you need to encrypt the onedrive folder to be honest. That way it wont' slow down the entire system. You can use windows bit locker if you've got the right version of windows or any encryption application you want if your not using the correct version of windows. That way, even if they pull the drive and want to go file by file, they can't see what's in the one drive.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 16 2020, 01:34 AM) *
Yeah I can do that but you just have to click one drive icon and it opens and signs in.

I thought about that but I'm not sure that if someone took the hard drive out and hooked it up as an external, would they be able to click the one drive icon and it open and log in? I'm really not sure.

+Quote Post
Bjorn218
Jul 19 2020, 05:06 AM
https://thegeekpage.com/sign-sign-unlink-on...ive-windows-10/

--------------------
The question is not who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 19 2020, 08:30 AM
Thanks Bjorn,

I know about unlinking but didn't think of it. I'll experiment with it once I'm back home. As I'm using my laptop away from home and using 4g mifi router I've been thinking of keeping my files on the hard drive rather than on demand, in this case the encryption would be better than using my data allowance.

If I do that then the syncing would take a long time and use up my 30gb allowance, I guess I could pay the extra £8 for unlimited but I'd be syncing a couple of times a day.

I've just though of another method, I could unlink and use a Web browser to log into the account and just get what I need. I know that any office files can be edited in the browser because when you open them in one drive online the relative online Office program opens them up and saves directly into OneDrive online. If I want a Reaper project I could just pull that down and use it and save back to OneDrive, likewise a new one could be created locally and I can drag and drop into the folder online, (I don't know if it would keep it when I relink the laptop once home though, but dont knowhow that works). But my Reaper projects aren't sensitive data anyway so I could save a copy to my HD to ee what happens, that way I've still got the file if it doesn't sync it when relinking.

Thanks for taking the time to look Bjorn, I appreciate it.

Cheers

Start safe

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2020, 08:34 AM
Glad you got an answer smile.gif It was all I could do the entire time to say "GET A MAC" smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 19 2020, 03:30 AM) *
Thanks Bjorn,

I know about unlinking but didn't think of it. I'll experiment with it once I'm back home. As I'm using my laptop away from home and using 4g mifi router I've been thinking of keeping my files on the hard drive rather than on demand, in this case the encryption would be better than using my data allowance.

If I do that then the syncing would take a long time and use up my 30gb allowance, I guess I could pay the extra £8 for unlimited but I'd be syncing a couple of times a day.

I've just though of another method, I could unlink and use a Web browser to log into the account and just get what I need. I know that any office files can be edited in the browser because when you open them in one drive online the relative online Office program opens them up and saves directly into OneDrive online. If I want a Reaper project I could just pull that down and use it and save back to OneDrive, likewise a new one could be created locally and I can drag and drop into the folder online, (I don't know if it would keep it when I relink the laptop once home though, but dont knowhow that works). But my Reaper projects aren't sensitive data anyway so I could save a copy to my HD to ee what happens, that way I've still got the file if it doesn't sync it when relinking.

Thanks for taking the time to look Bjorn, I appreciate it.

Cheers

Start safe

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 19 2020, 06:00 PM
I think the encryption might be the best solution as unlinking and relinking can be cumbersome, also a Mac worth the power of this laptop would be £$£$

Out of interest what would be the deal with a Mac?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2020, 03:37 AM
The mac os has something similar, the Icloud drive which supports 2 way encryption if desired. The entire OS is based on UNIX which is a highly secure OS and has lots of options for security. Most of it is seamless once you log in to given account. Even if someone pulls the drive, it won't do them much good if you've chosen to encrypt a given folder which you can do to any folder you like.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 19 2020, 01:00 PM) *
I think the encryption might be the best solution as unlinking and relinking can be cumbersome, also a Mac worth the power of this laptop would be £$£$

Out of interest what would be the deal with a Mac?

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 23 2020, 07:32 PM
I bought a Kensington lock for our first visit, I know it won't stop the determined thieves but opportunists wouldn't bother. They don't seem to have any troubles anyway.

I did encrypt both my C: and D: yesterday. I've just switched on for the first time since and the computer booted up, I entered my Windows PIN (not Bitlocker PW) and it let me in. I couldn't open anything on the D: though, without entering a password. I don't remember it asking for a password for the C: but I would like it to ask for the Bitlocker password before it lets me in.

Any ideas??

Thanks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2020, 04:14 AM
Put in the password? Maybe I'm not sure what your asking?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 24 2020, 12:10 PM
It only asks me for a password when I log into Windows which is my normal PIN number, nothing to do with Bitlocker, and if I try to access my D:, then it asks for my Bitlocker password.

I don't remember it asking me to set a password for the OS (C:) drive but it did encrypt it. I thought I would get asked for a Bitlocker password before I even got to the Windows login screen.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
I decrypted the C: and encrypted it again in case I missed something the first time around. It doesn't ask you to create a password. I guess the C: if taken out of the computer and put in another one would would be inaccessible due to encryption.
I did a quick Google and came up with this:
"Why does Bitlocker not ask for password?
The idea is that you do not enter a bitlocker password when you boot up. Your TPM does this for you. As long as your hardware and bootloader hasnt changed, bitlocker will be seemless to you. So, yes, your pc is only as secure as your Windows password is in the event it is lost
."

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 24 2020, 08:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 25 2020, 01:17 AM
So no password should be needed on the boot drive right? Sounds like as long as the drive isn't removed that decrypt should be automatic?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 24 2020, 07:10 AM) *
It only asks me for a password when I log into Windows which is my normal PIN number, nothing to do with Bitlocker, and if I try to access my D:, then it asks for my Bitlocker password.

I don't remember it asking me to set a password for the OS (C:) drive but it did encrypt it. I thought I would get asked for a Bitlocker password before I even got to the Windows login screen.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
I decrypted the C: and encrypted it again in case I missed something the first time around. It doesn't ask you to create a password. I guess the C: if taken out of the computer and put in another one would would be inaccessible due to encryption.
I did a quick Google and came up with this:
"Why does Bitlocker not ask for password?
The idea is that you do not enter a bitlocker password when you boot up. Your TPM does this for you. As long as your hardware and bootloader hasnt changed, bitlocker will be seemless to you. So, yes, your pc is only as secure as your Windows password is in the event it is lost
."

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 25 2020, 07:22 AM
I don't think it decrpypts it, I decrypted it and it took a few minutes, I then encrypted it which took about the same. I just think that when you log on with your os password it allows access to the encrypted files and knows how to view them. Same with the D:, that took longer to encrypt but all I do to view it is enter the password and I'm viewing straight away.

I don't fully understand how it works but I think if the C: is removed it can't be viewed.

Maybe it decrypts each file individually when you click on it, I haven't noticed any lag in opening files though.

Cheer

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 25 2020, 10:44 PM
Sounds about right. Either way it sounds like the files are protected and if someone does remove the drive they are not going to be able to get in to see whats there, so it should be working as advertised right?

BTW have you seen this travel guitar? Made me think of you smile.gif When they are in stock they are under 100 euro!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=779729

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 25 2020, 02:22 AM) *
I don't think it decrpypts it, I decrypted it and it took a few minutes, I then encrypted it which took about the same. I just think that when you log on with your os password it allows access to the encrypted files and knows how to view them. Same with the D:, that took longer to encrypt but all I do to view it is enter the password and I'm viewing straight away.

I don't fully understand how it works but I think if the C: is removed it can't be viewed.

Maybe it decrypts each file individually when you click on it, I haven't noticed any lag in opening files though.

Cheer

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 25 2020, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 26 2020, 05:50 AM
Thanks buddy,

Now I have my holiday home I don't really have any restrictions, there will probably come a time when I don't take all my holidays there but it will take a while before we feel live doing that. We both feel so at peace there, even if we're sitting and watching something on the TV that we watch at home we feel so chilled.

I will keep it in mind though, thanks for thinking of me.

My injury is nearly better now, been a long rehabilitation without being able to get physio but it is what it is. I've lost a lot of coordination and string bending strength so I'll need to work on that for a while.

Regarding encrypted drives, if you add a file to one, does it encrypt it automatically?

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 25 2020, 10:44 PM) *
BTW have you seen this travel guitar? Made me think of you smile.gif When they are in stock they are under 100 euro!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=779729

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2020, 02:13 AM
Glad you have a place to relax during all this craziness smile.gif I hope your arm continues to recover! Yeah, as far as C drive, any ne files should encrypt when you put them there.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 26 2020, 12:50 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

Now I have my holiday home I don't really have any restrictions, there will probably come a time when I don't take all my holidays there but it will take a while before we feel live doing that. We both feel so at peace there, even if we're sitting and watching something on the TV that we watch at home we feel so chilled.

I will keep it in mind though, thanks for thinking of me.

My injury is nearly better now, been a long rehabilitation without being able to get physio but it is what it is. I've lost a lot of coordination and string bending strength so I'll need to work on that for a while.

Regarding encrypted drives, if you add a file to one, does it encrypt it automatically?

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 27 2020, 06:13 PM
Thanks Todd,

I am starting to put time in on the old geetar, I had half an hour last night, and today I could really feel it in my left forearm. It's amazing how much coordination has gone, I don't think it's all due to lack of playing, I think the neural pathways need to be re-established like in a stroke victim. I know I said about that chair but I keep wondering if I had some kind of stroke. Time will tell I guess because if it never fully recovers I'll have to get some tests.

I thought that would be the case with the encryption but if it is encrypting, it's mighty fast.

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 27 2020, 02:13 AM) *
Glad you have a place to relax during all this craziness smile.gif I hope your arm continues to recover! Yeah, as far as C drive, any ne files should encrypt when you put them there.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2020, 08:57 PM
I sure hope you have not had a stroke! If it does continue, you'll really need some tests. Even after a stroke, folks are sometimes able to re train themselves. Guitar may be a good kind of therapy once it gets a bit more comfy to play. I'd focus on this you can play for now. Even in bootcamp, you can modify bits to make them work. Instead of neck travel, you can do string travel for instance and skip moving up the neck. But don't jump in too early. Try some range of motion excersises on your hand. Just gently rotate the hand in a big circle. Then gently rotate the fore arm in a big circle slowly. Those are some drills I did coming back from carpal tunnel syndrome smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 27 2020, 01:13 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I am starting to put time in on the old geetar, I had half an hour last night, and today I could really feel it in my left forearm. It's amazing how much coordination has gone, I don't think it's all due to lack of playing, I think the neural pathways need to be re-established like in a stroke victim. I know I said about that chair but I keep wondering if I had some kind of stroke. Time will tell I guess because if it never fully recovers I'll have to get some tests.

I thought that would be the case with the encryption but if it is encrypting, it's mighty fast.

Cheers

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:34 AM