Pick Holding
kaznie_NL
Jul 1 2008, 03:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey GMC,

I was playing the Zakk Wylde Style lesson from Gabs, and it includes a speedpicking part. I had problems with the 75bpm part, and then I picked up my small pick. It's a purple 2mm stubby. Then I found that with that pick I had to put my fingers more like the teachers do: the side of the tip of the index finger and the side of the thumb. On the big picks I normaly tend to get the position like when you make a fist and shove the pick between your index and thumb, resulting in the pick being around my thumb knuckle. I mean the one between the real knucle and the nail biggrin.gif

Now this new position made me play the part a bit better, more clear and faster. I also found that if I want to have that position on the big pick, it slides out of there. I now tend to use the small one more, but any experience that might help me here?

Kaz

EDIT: also the little pick has a much more edgy point, and just feels like a play more fluid with it, like flying over the strings biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Jul 1 2008, 03:48 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 1 2008, 03:53 PM
Instructor
It's great to hear that you found a pick that suits you better man. smile.gif 2mm stubby is a great one indeed, but i avoid it because of the rhythm.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 1 2008, 03:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 1 2008, 04:53 PM) *
It's great to hear that you found a pick that suits you better man. smile.gif 2mm stubby is a great one indeed, but i avoid it because of the rhythm.

I think maybe it's good to swithc, the Muris pick just gives some more feeling and also better for rhythm, but the stubby is nice for speedpicking.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 1 2008, 04:31 PM
GMC:er
I like Stubby 2.0, but I also use Jazz III (Tortex).
They are great for different things. wink.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
Jul 2 2008, 04:46 AM
GMC:er
I discovered the Jazz 3 a couple of months ago.. I had been using that until I recently starting learning alot of megadeth songs. Then I started switching between the two: Jazz 3 for neoclassical style picking routines, and purple tortex for rhythm parts.. Today I decided to keep the Jazz 3 for all situations, it is my new pick of choice. It is soo lightweight my hand flys, it is accurate so it gives me a tight sound. I do prefer the tone I get for the purple turtles though,, sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:51 PM