Strat Players - Set Up Advice
Gary
Oct 6 2009, 04:41 AM
GMC:er
Hi All,

I took my 09 Malmsteen strat in for a general set up (intonation, neck adjustment etc). I felt the action was a bit high so I requested it be lowered just a tad. Upon picking up the guitar I was a bit surprised to see they adjusted the tremelo by setting the bridge flat against the body of the guitar. He explained that this set up improves the overall playability of the guitar, allows for lower action and increases sustain.

In the end the action was maybe just a tiny bit lower and the sustain may be a bit better. .hard to tell really. What you loose by doing this is you can only work the whammy bar by pushing down on it, not up. I do not use the whammy all that much so for me it's not a big consequence to have the guitar set up this way.

The Los Angeles area guitar shop I take my guitars to sevices many famous musicians equipment. The guy is nice, knowledgable and I do trust him. I am however interested in what others think about having the bridge on a strat set flat against the body.

Cheers,
Gary

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gary: Oct 6 2009, 04:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 6 2009, 05:31 AM
It's common to set one up that way, if the player doesn't really need full floating, and most don't. As you pointed out, what you lose is the ability to raise the pitch, but if you don't use that feature, your new set up will probably give you what you want, and you will also have somewhat less tuning issues from using (or not using) the bar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
vampire18
Oct 6 2009, 07:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
also i dont know the gutiar but if you dont have locking tuning rasing more than like a half pitch would send your tuning to hell anyways

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 6 2009, 11:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
Those Fender style tremolos aren't build for hughe tremolo actions and they aren't the best to use floating either (that's what Floyd Rose Tremolos are made for with locking nuts).

Fender trems are intended for adding vibrato or do a slight divebomb from time to time while Floyds are built for extreme abuse in form of divebombing, pitchsqueling and other fun stuff that would ruin any other guitar's tuning.
The way your Strat is now is the ''Classic'' way to set up a Strat, dive only. Jimi Hendrix had his Strat that way, SRV had it set up like this and I am pretty sure Yngwies are set up like this aswell; it just suits Stratocasters! wink.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 6 2009, 12:23 PM
Instructor
This kind of setup is standard for Strat as everybody said. If you don't need to raise the pitch it is fine cause there are several benefits:

- sustain is improved cause the bridge is making a solid contact with the wood
- tuning is more stable
- you can bend the notes without detuning the rest of the strings

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Oct 6 2009, 03:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey pal,

yeah my strat is set up exactly the same, the trems are a bit useless anyway for more than just a wiggle here and there so having a solid stop to return to helps no end with tuning stability.

+Quote Post
Gary
Oct 7 2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback. I pretty much figured that this was the way to go. The one thing I will likely do is rebend the whammy bar to get a more custom fit. The position of it sits too high now that the float has been taken out the bridge.

Thanks again.
Gary

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 8 2009, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Yeah, the bar is usually too high if you lower down the bridge, so some bending is needed.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:31 PM